• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact MK2 Accuracy tests Part 1 - slugs

Max115

Jul 15, 2018
BC, Canada
In this video I showed how my FX Impact MK2 600mm slug liner performs with the JSB Redesign, H&N & NSA 23gr.

Based on my test results, I will be using the JSB Redesign 25.4gr in my next starling outing.

The NSA 23gr slugs showed it, too has potential to be as accurate as my goto slug, the H&N 23gr.

It is a long video, but hopefully some of the information can be useful.

Perhaps some of you can help me identify why or what are the reasons my Impact wasn't consistent with the slugs used for these tests.

enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meXKqoJDO5Y

Biggest thing i see is some wild FPS swings during some of the groups. Seems to my the regulator may be sticking or due to get cleaned up and resealed. with the 10 FPS jump it will change the harmonics of the system which could be throwing the flyers and loose groups because of it.

I'm newish and still learning and trying to get my own self-cast 37 gr slugs grouping tight. so i have picked up a few things to try. but the irregularity of the FPS i was seeing stood out to me. The FPS were very stable with the pellets. 

That and i dont think its good to jump back and forth between ammo types with out a few rounds down range to season the barrel.

@B7B. Yes, I have had great success in the past shooting the H&N 23gr out pass 100 yards. I think mostly human error in this testing session. I cleaned my barrel that night and it was pretty dirty, but I also think it was the flex of my barrel contacting the bottle as I shot off the sand bag. I might unintentionally pressed down too hard in between shots. I will need to double check next time out.

@TNT19. Thanks for the tips. I know my Impact can shoot the H&N slugs well as I have done that last year. The inaccuracy started after I had gotten the new H&N 23gr slugs with the new tin design where the slugs were very dirty with new coating on. I since started to wash and lube them. And I haven't been able to get the same type of consistent accuracy since. That was why I started to retest all the projectiles and making fine adjustments with the valve.

@Danny. The spread is actually very small with the ammo I was testing. Speed was consistent. I think it was due to dirty barrel and operator's error. I strongly believe it was due to me pressing down on my gun too hard and the barrel was making contact with the bottle.

@Corvid. All guns can be hold sensitive, but in my case I believe it was me creating unnecessary movement and rushing thru my shots.

I will sort this out one way or another. Better be soon as the starlings are waiting to be fed with some lead.

thanks for the input.

Folks,

I think relatively speaking we can say that slugs can be more accurate and carry more energy at 100 yards than pellets of the same weight fired from the same gun at the same setting. But I'm not following the concept of "If slugs are shooting badly at 50y they will be good if you move out to 100y with the same setup". I don't get how a 2" patten at 50y comes back to a one hole rough group at 100y.

Has anyone setup a piece of paper at 50y and another at 100y where the same slug passes through both to demonstrate the more accurate at 100 than 50?

Folks,

I think relatively speaking we can say that slugs can be more accurate and carry more energy at 100 yards than pellets of the same weight fired from the same gun at the same setting. But I'm not following the concept of "If slugs are shooting badly at 50y they will be good if you move out to 100y with the same setup". I don't get how a 2" patten at 50y comes back to a one hole rough group at 100y.

Has anyone setup a piece of paper at 50y and another at 100y where the same slug passes through both to demonstrate the more accurate at 100 than 50?

it has to do with ballistics. slugs take a bit longer to stabilize versus a pellet shot at the same range. for example a pellet can be fully stable at say 25 yards from the muzzle. a slug will take 40+ to fully stabilize and got to sleep so to speak. it has been my knowledge that the faster a slug goes to sleep the better. that is my take on it but I could be wrong.

dannya1a,

I get that pellets stabilize faster than slugs. No questions there. What I don't get is the below.

If the 0 represents a slugs POI at 50 yards and the X is the centerline / aimpoint, what would explain how we could then have the next at 100?

50 yards

0 X 0

100 yards

0X0

I could see the below

Pellet at 50. Slug at 50

0X0. 0X0

Pellet at 100. Slug at 100

0 X 0 0 X 0

Max115,

What is you fps at Max, 5, 4?

I have been shooting slugs for quite a few years and never had a gun get more accurate the further I shot. All of my guns must produce almost a single hole at 30 yards before I even move to 50, 75 and 100. I have had single hole groups at 30 and 50 get a little drunk at 100 however. I currently have 3 sluggers. One with a liner, one TJ and one CZ. They are tiny groupers at all ranges. Barrel filth is my main enemy even with cleaning and lubing.

But I'm not following the concept of "If slugs are shooting badly at 50y they will be good if you move out to 100y with the same setup". I don't get how a 2" patten at 50y comes back to a one hole rough group at 100y.

Because they can't is why... In a perfect world when all the stars align, and pigs fly, they could be almost as good at 100 as they are at 50, but unless the slugs have tiny built in homing devices that gets them back on track between 50 and 100, its an old wives tale... Understand, if the low ones decide to correct high, the high ones decide to correct low, and left/right reverse... Yeah, uh, nope. Not gonna happen...

When I test slugs, my most recent build is a .25 Impact, I shoot slugs at a "typical" speed (between 900 and 950 FPS) at 50 yards. If I can't consistently get 5 shot groups that can be covered by a penny, I don't continue testing. Once I get one (or more - in this case there was only one, the 43.5 gr NSA), I move to 100 yards and shoot 5 shot groups again at various speeds until I find one that is the most accurate. If your gun can't shoot quarter (or sightly larger) groups at 100 yards, there is little chance of you hitting a ground squirrel at 150 or up to 200 yards - unless you just get a few lucky shots. FYI, I tested approx ten types/weights of slugs in that build and only one worked for me... but boy did that one work. Its always a BINGO! moment when it all comes together...

Thanks, Centercut.

We are on the same page. I'd really like to see someone with time on their hands and ammo in their inventory put a target at 50 and another target (or just plain paper) at 100 and show us where 100 is tighter than 50 repeatedly.

I've been playing around with NSA and FX slugs in my new .25 Impact. The FX slugs do well in the Superior liner. I couldn't get NSA slugs to shoot as well though (up to 33g). I'm even playing with Ernest's dual port, barrel shroud, and barrel tensioner.

I have the heavier NSA slugs (that theoretically need the Superior Heavy liner) and the Heavy liner. Are you using the Superior or Superior Heavy liner?

Hi guys

just my only comment and agree with CC etc

To set up 2 target 50 and 100 .and expect them to line up perfectly is unlikely. Then we involve wind if they can line up so imo a waste of time.

Good info here testing at different distances and building to 100 moa etc.

Hoping to start slug testing in the Spring , Crown versus Red wolf both in .25. Guess the house painting, grass cutting may be delayed.

Airgun nation always has lots of info.

safe shooting

Wolfie,

The targets would not need to line up perfectly. In Fact what is at 100 doesn't even need to be a target. If can just be a plain 8.5x11 piece of paper or big `ole cardboard box. The idea is look at the group on the 50 yard target and compare that to what landed at 100. For those that are on the side of 100 will always be 'the same or worse' than 50, yea,not a good investment of time or lead. For those that want to show slugs are more accurate at 100 than 50, this is just a method to demonstrate their point.

@sharroff. I have shot sub MOA at both 50 and 100 yards with my Impact MK2, H&N 23gr .218 that was when all the stars were in line that day, lol. The sub MOA is achievable. The only issue with my test range is the wind factor. I have no control of it and often hard to read the wind. So to say the slug can hit more accurately out to 100 yards is not a fair statement. I would like to test this theory in an indoor setup, but unfortunately I don't have access to one. In my opinion, I can state that shooting a slug out to 100 yards in an open field is more likely to hit the bullseye consistently than using a pellet. If that means slug is more accurate than pellet at 100 yards? Than I guess that statement or assumption is correct. I will try to set up two targets next time when I am out, one at 50 and 100 yards and shoot a 5 or 10 shots group. I will also use the JSB redesign and compare.

Thanks for the comments and feedback. Glad that we can discuss with different viewpoints. 

Max115,

Given your windy test conditions, I'd completely agree with your statement "I can state that shooting a slug out to 100 yards in an open field is more likely to hit the bullseye consistently than using a pellet. ".

I'm not really weighing in on one being more accurate than the other as I'm sure we could find a shooter and gun that would produce the same group at each distance with slugs and pellets. There are many factors that go into that, including your windy shooting conditions. I'd put Holdover Ted and his impact shooting pellets up against a normal slug shooter at 100 yards at EBR and my money would be on Ted.

My real point was that slugs aren't inaccurate (producing a larger group) at 50 yards and then somehow become accurate (a smaller group at 100) than they were at 50. To do my 'proof' one would not put a paper target at 50 then a paper target at 100 and put 5 or 10 slugs on both and then compare. Rather, one would put a single paper target at 50 yards and then put a blank piece of paper or cardboard directly behind / inline with the 50 yard target at 100 yards. One would then only shoot 5 or 10 rounds into the 50 yard paper target. The slugs would then continue downrange and hit the 100 yard piece of paper or cardboard. One would then collect both and compare the groups to see what happened. My position is the 100 yard group isn't going to be better than the 50 yard group. At best it would match.