• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning FX Impact Mk2 - 170 bar on reg - be careful

Hi,

If you plan to use 170 bar on reg then a peek valve poppet is a must. Here is how the original one protrudes after about 200 shots:

There is a note in the user manual that 170 bar is the highest reg pressure allowed. But the truth is that delrin valve poppet cannot withstand such conditions long enough.

You also need a heavier hammer and stronger spring for such pressure.

The original hammer is 18.2g with 6g of a hammer weight.

I use 19.5g hammer and 7.5g of a hammer weight with Huma stronger spring.

Reactions: qball
Something must be wrong with your valve rod or o rings. I run my max at 165 bar with over thousands of shots and no problem. 5 bars wouldn't make that a difference. Matt and South Africa guys been running over 170 bar shooting over 80 ft lb with a .22 and they don't have a problem. They been shooting their impacts over 100,000 rounds i believe and if there is a problem with high reg pressure I'm sure they would make a video of it. Fx said their stock amp reg can go up to 170 bar. Huma reg can go up to like 190 bar.

I need to disassemble the valve and check what really happened.

Please do not take everything you see on YT with no criticism. Especially when there are FX paid folks. Here we talk about truth with no commercials.

Yes i know matt and those south Africa and Utah airgun guys are all fx fan boys to promote fx products. But if having sure a high pressure on these fx guns is dangerous. They would made it public and warn folks about it. I having seen a video of fx or anyone warning of such danger. Could be you have a bad apple. I've seen folks with the valve rod sticking out like that too and it wasn't due to having a high reg pressure. 

Reactions: monstr2
Something must be wrong with your valve rod or o rings. I run my max at 165 bar with over thousands of shots and no problem. 5 bars wouldn't make that a difference. Matt and South Africa guys been running over 170 bar shooting over 80 ft lb with a .22 and they don't have a problem. They been shooting their impacts over 100,000 rounds i believe and if there is a problem with high reg pressure I'm sure they would make a video of it. Fx said their stock amp reg can go up to 170 bar. Huma reg can go up to like 190 bar.

Not many people truly know what’s inside those guys guns. If being a factory pellet gun guy is like a lot of other things, they are probably using stuff one generation ahead of what the consumer has. Or at the very least, knowledge that’s one step ahead of most. Their secrets keep money flowing into the industry because guys keep chasing them spending a ton of money trying to be like them. Very smart marketing. Seeker, let us know what you find when you get inside your gun.

And, you’ll never know what kind of problem they have..or if they use oem parts. 
we have airgun too, everybody knows it’s not crank it and shoot it. 

Reactions: Mauipilikia
To the OP... what you trying to do with 170 bars?

{First I must say I was working on my .25 Impact MK2 power upgrades for over a year, re-machined porting and a lot of internal custom mods...and I have a booklet where I document every little change}

I just did my last tune today, I wanted to know the max power available to me because I have a collection of 41, 44, 46 grain slugs (in .25) and I want to shoot these longer ranges.

So I started with 41 grain and then 37 grain, from a MAX power and coming back downward with the pressure and adjustments...here are my numbers:

tuning screenshot.1647668505.JPG

At 150 bars on the Reg I still had about 2mm adjustment left on the Hammer Spring, I don't even want to speculate where I would get with 41 grain but assume I shall be able to push 44 grain over 1000 fps.

My goal is to shoot 46 grain at least 950 fps.

I gave you another day my peek puppet measurements. First I had it @ 9.2mm OD but that was restricting the air flow too much inside Valve House, so recently (in Feb) I re-cut it to 8.1mm. And this resulted a huge jump in power I busted the 2mm oring on the Valve Rod...jumped out of hole...The C1 I didn't had a rubber ball, but now I learned ;)

Edit:

Forgot to say, that I am tethering as much I can. My Huma external regulator is set to 185 bars and the Impact Reg not need to work hard.

I need 170 bars because I have 500mm barrel and I shoot slugs in .30.

I examined the valve and it was unscrewed. That was the reason of extrusion. So my assumption that delrin failed was premature. Anyway, I installed peek poppet just for ease of mind.

I used blue loctite to screw it together previously but it was not enough. I tend to think that red loctite may be a better option there.

I know this thread is way old but I'd like to know how do you install a peek poppet on the valve rod? I've never owned a fx impact until this coming Monday when it is suppose to be here. In fact the most expensive PCP I've owned up to this point is my.25 cal Sumatra. I've been going back through the old posts looking for info on the impact MK2 pp tuning and?

I need 170 bars because I have 500mm barrel and I shoot slugs in .30.

I examined the valve and it was unscrewed. That was the reason of extrusion. So my assumption that delrin failed was premature. Anyway, I installed peek poppet just for ease of mind.

I used blue loctite to screw it together previously but it was not enough. I tend to think that red loctite may be a better option there.
I will agree with Seeker .

I am using only peek in my 0.30 impact valve rod since 2019 cause I am working the gun in high pressures . Usually at 175 and my latest tune with zan 63gr at 180 bar .
I never had blown the small oring .
Last 2 years I have never destroy as well any of my peek poppets .
The only way to destroy a peek and ( I have done it in the past ) is to lower your reg pressure less than 150 bars and to continue to have max out your hammer spring tension( with strong huma hammer spring and heavy hammer weight ) .

By this way you overtravel the valve and if you continue shooting most possible is that you will start have leaking from the barrel .

But again not big issue .
You just need to polish with 3m cloth polishing the integrated valve seat in valve housing and to polish as well the peek with the same method if you don't have available any spare part to change it.

I have used many times in the past red loctite without any problem .
If you want to unscrew the parts in the valve rod you can heat them and after as they are still warm you spray them with a degreaser spray and same time you are cleaning them carefully with a bronze brass.
At least for me with this method I never strip any thread in the valve rod .

Seeker I am glad that in your case the problem was just an unscrewed part .You need either to take the risk with red loctite or to leave it to dry well if you are going to use again blue .

Lately I am using only blue loctite( cause this seems to be the proper way ) but I am leaving it overnight to get dry before use .
And by this way never get loosed any part .

If some folks are wondering why some of us are working our impacts in so high reg pressures the answear is very simple .
If we are using the heaviest rounds for our caliber is the only way to achieve our desired speed . ( 1040 fps in my case with 63gr zan) .

As for the common problems with fx regulators in the past ,since I installed the fx brass piston I can assure you that I can go as high as i like with the right bellevile disks configuration without any reg creep.

I have made a post yesterday in a thread of another member: "Fx impact brass screw"

I am explaining how I followed the instructions of Ernest in his video for belleville disks installation for high pressure, and I have post a drawing as well with the right configuration and the right thickness of the disks which I reached accidentally to 240 bar ( of course is useless and will never be necessary, but just for the record ).
I tried to post the link but I didnt managed .
Sorry for the long post I hope I helped .......

I will agree with Seeker .

I am using only peek in my 0.30 impact valve rod since 2019 cause I am working the gun in high pressures . Usually at 175 and my latest tune with zan 63gr at 180 bar .
I never had blown the small oring .
Last 2 years I have never destroy as well any of my peek poppets .
The only way to destroy a peek and ( I have done it in the past ) is to lower your reg pressure less than 150 bars and to continue to have max out your hammer spring tension( with strong huma hammer spring and heavy hammer weight ) .

By this way you overtravel the valve and if you continue shooting most possible is that you will start have leaking from the barrel .

But again not big issue .
You just need to polish with 3m cloth polishing the integrated valve seat in valve housing and to polish as well the peek with the same method if you don't have available any spare part to change it.

I have used many times in the past red loctite without any problem .
If you want to unscrew the parts in the valve rod you can heat them and after as they are still warm you spray them with a degreaser spray and same time you are cleaning them carefully with a bronze brass.
At least for me with this method I never strip any thread in the valve rod .

Seeker I am glad that in your case the problem was just an unscrewed part .You need either to take the risk with red loctite or to leave it to dry well if you are going to use again blue .

Lately I am using only blue loctite( cause this seems to be the proper way ) but I am leaving it overnight to get dry before use .
And by this way never get loosed any part .

If some folks are wondering why some of us are working our impacts in so high reg pressures the answear is very simple .
If we are using the heaviest rounds for our caliber is the only way to achieve our desired speed . ( 1040 fps in my case with 63gr zan) .

As for the common problems with fx regulators in the past ,since I installed the fx brass piston I can assure you that I can go as high as i like with the right bellevile disks configuration without any reg creep.

I have made a post yesterday in a thread of another member: "Fx impact brass screw"

I am explaining how I followed the instructions of Ernest in his video for belleville disks installation for high pressure, and I have post a drawing as well with the right configuration and the right thickness of the disks which I reached accidentally to 240 bar ( of course is useless and will never be necessary, but just for the record ).
I tried to post the link but I didnt managed .
Sorry for the long post I hope I helped .......
I made wrong above . The tread is calling : "impact M3 brass "

Yes i know matt and those south Africa and Utah airgun guys are all fx fan boys to promote fx products. But if having sure a high pressure on these fx guns is dangerous. They would made it public and warn folks about it. I having seen a video of fx or anyone warning of such danger. Could be you have a bad apple. I've seen folks with the valve rod sticking out like that too and it wasn't due to having a high reg pressure.
Dangerous? no
Short Service life? yes

Matt and the usual suspects hint, or straight up say in many videos that the high pressure setups wear out hard parts faster. Physics is physics and there is no free lunch. And I can tell you first hand that cranking up the reg(s) to replicate the youtube FX rockstar videos is waaaaaaay harder on the rifle than casually shooting mouse fart loads. And if you pay attention they will max out a setup to promote X heavy projectile speeds, but when they are on longer hunts they turn those rifles back down. Its all what you are willing to compromise. I like my Impact to be as power efficient as possible, so I settled on medium weight slugs with the best balance of BC and fps. That allows me to get a decent shot count, not beat up the rifle too much, and contact pests out to about ~200yds.

edit: zombie thread