• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact MK I or MK II - Moderator Consensus

What is the consensus for the “best” and “quietest” moderator setup for the FX Impact? Currently shooting .25 @ 949 FPS with a Huggett Magna .30 Moderator (figured it could serve double duty @ .25 & .30). Only other moderator that seems comparable is the DonnyFL Shogun. The longer length of the Shogun seems to work better than either the Ronin or Sumo.

What about accuracy? Any testing on moderators and group sizes?

Has anyone figured out a way to make the DonnyFL’s quieter? I’ve tried the foam idea mentioned by Ernest Rowe, but curious if anyone has figured out a way to reduce sound further?

By far the quietest setup I’ve used was a Benjamin Armada .22 w/Neil Clague moderator the only sound was that of the trigger click...granted power and FPS do not compare to the FX Impact.

So far as I'm aware, my test is the first published empirical test of its kind comparing moderator performance of all the major brands currently out there:
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-crown-bespoke-moderator-tesla-gas-diode/page/5/#post-453278

Something to note is that my experience with DonnyFL, Hugget, and Clague moderators indicates their internals are all basically the same. You have essentially square/vertical/flat baffles spaced out and with a wrap of felt or foam around the perimeter. As a result, within a given diameter and length class, they tend to perform about the same. 

None of these designs use cross-flow to try and improve air-handling, so if you see a loss of accuracy it is probably caused by a concentricity/alignment issue. As far as POI shift, mostly that tends to be downward, and due to the weight flexing your barrel more than anything else. 

I hope that helps. :) 

So far as I'm aware, my test is the first published empirical test of its kind comparing moderator performance of all the major brands currently out there:
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-crown-bespoke-moderator-tesla-gas-diode/page/5/#post-453278

Something to note is that my experience with DonnyFL, Hugget, and Clague moderators indicates their internals are all basically the same. You have essentially square/vertical/flat baffles spaced out and with a wrap of felt or foam around the perimeter. As a result, within a given diameter and length class, they tend to perform about the same. 

None of these designs use cross-flow to try and improve air-handling, so if you see a loss of accuracy it is probably caused by a concentricity/alignment issue. As far as POI shift, mostly that tends to be downward, and due to the weight flexing your barrel more than anything else. 

Dude, I found your reply very informative. No kidding. Thumbs up, bro.

Cheers,
Oscar

Dude, I found your reply very informative. No kidding. Thumbs up, bro.

Cheers,
Oscar

You're very welcome. I realize there is an immense amount of data to digest in all that post so I try to summarize the bits and pieces that'll help with whatever a person is asking. I'm happy to answer any additional questions as well. (either in this thread or you can just PM me) I just feel like data-driven testing is a lot more useful than the generic forum responses you tend to get on these things like "oh this sounds great" or "mine is awesome" because those opinions don't provide any accurate or scientific basis of comparison. As limited as my testing has been, it is at least a starting point for something I hope. :) 

I own a .25 impact might be considered mk2 I guess ? original s/t barrel shoots 34grs 880fps the way I have it set up, Donny fl tanto suppressor and seems plenty quiet to me but then again I thought the factory suppressor was fine I just wanted to try the tanto. I put a ronin on it but didn't like the looks so I sold it (ronin). I also own a .25 Bobcat with original equipment and have always been shocked how quiet they are for the power.

YES...thanks! I saw your thread previously. Lots of great info., but what is the plan with all the data? Is there something better? I tried the Ramus Technology with and without the “flip cap” which just seemed like a muzzle break idea. The Trident seemed to have a higher pitch to it compared to the Huggett or DonnyFL.

YES...thanks! I saw your thread previously. Lots of great info., but what is the plan with all the data? Is there something better? I tried the Ramus Technology with and without the “flip cap” which just seemed like a muzzle break idea. The Trident seemed to have a higher pitch to it compared to the Huggett or DonnyFL.

More? I mean I am continuously testing and adding more and more designs as I go. Hoping to get two of the big Donnys in soon to test. Beyond that though, I'm not sure what sort of further analysis is next. Aside from peak, the trace (to give you an idea of subsequent sound after the peak), and my subjective take I'm not sure how much else there is except for more designs to test. A frequency analysis or RMS might have some use, however as you can see by the traces things are quite messy. I've actually been experimenting with the latter, but so far I'm not sure if it actually provides anything substantive. So for now, I guess yeah thats it? 

I do agree with you though, the Trident subjectively seemed to produce a higher frequency than say the 0DB or DonnyFX. The brake element on it is, having talked with Tom, to reduce recoil. Not sure how much or little utility that offers to the average shooter, nor do I have the test rig on hand to quantify it so..... *shrug* 

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you there, but I'm not sure what sort of additional analysis you're looking for. If you have any suggestions for further analyses I've love to hear them. 

More? I mean I am continuously testing and adding more and more designs as I go. Hoping to get two of the big Donnys in soon to test. Beyond that though, I'm not sure what sort of further analysis is next. Aside from peak, the trace (to give you an idea of subsequent sound after the peak), and my subjective take I'm not sure how much else there is except for more designs to test. A frequency analysis or RMS might have some use, however as you can see by the traces things are quite messy. I've actually been experimenting with the latter, but so far I'm not sure if it actually provides anything substantive. So for now, I guess yeah thats it? 

I do agree with you though, the Trident subjectively seemed to produce a higher frequency than say the 0DB or DonnyFX. The brake element on it is, having talked with Tom, to reduce recoil. Not sure how much or little utility that offers to the average shooter, nor do I have the test rig on hand to quantify it so..... *shrug* 

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you there, but I'm not sure what sort of additional analysis you're looking for. If you have any suggestions for further analyses I've love to hear them.

Are you just supplying data or can it be used to create/build a “better” moderator? Thought maybe you may be using the data to design something new to take into account your findings?

Are you just supplying data or can it be used to create/build a “better” moderator? Thought maybe you may be using the data to design something new to take into account your findings?

So I am actually trying to build a better mod, as I really enjoy the challenge. If you read forward or backward from that post, you can see that is exactly what I've been trying to do. I've had a couple successes and numerous failures. Knowing whether something works or not is half the battle, but the other half is trying to figure out why which is not so easy. ;) Put two moderators next to each other with the same design and even from the same manufacturer and test them. One works better than the other. Great, that is useful information, but then you have to answer the question of why? The "why" is not so easy. Hence a lot of experiments and a lot of failures. I usually only post things which I think are technically interesting or show something unusual. For every core that works, I probably have on average 50 that don't. It is very interesting, challenging, and sometimes frustrating. :p