Tuning FX Impact/Maverick/Crown brass regulator piston done right

over here in the UK we sell the piston tool and the o ring fitting tool and 2 sets of o rings for $20.00 i thank they may be over charging in the US
You think? Even Seeker the member making the piston is smart enough to take out the old piston with a pair of surgical pliers over a over price puller. The tools for the dim non maniacally incline like Bigragu :LOL:

Last edited:
Hi.

We know that a standard FX Impact regulator piston is made of delrin. It has a pretty poor coefficient of thermal expansion comparing to brass. Brass is a much better choice. It is more rigid and tough which is pretty important when we think about high reg pressures. FX offers a brass piston as a replacement of the delrin one but it has two major limitations:
- some people reported problems with setting high pressure - the piston is longer than a delrin one and there is not enough threads to accomodate that,
- the air passage hole is too big. Huma regs use the air flow restrictor in a form of a screw. Thanks to that reg does not get hit that hard when there is a big pressure difference between the air bottle and the plenum. The plenum is replenished more gradually with flow restriction. Delrin piston has that flow restriction but sometimes reg recovery takes too much time. My goal was to deliver faster recovery time than a delrin piston but slower than FX brass piston.

Because of the above limitations I came up with my own design and here it is.

View attachment 295082
View attachment 295083

View attachment 295084

The air passage holes are 0.3mm in diameter, where a human hair is up to 0.1mm in diameter. Drilling technique was pretty tricky to avoid drill breaking (the angle was the greatest challenge):

But the end effect is insane:

After the break in period there is virtually no reg creep.

There are two versions of the piston:
- 4x0.3mm air passage holes - faster reg recovery time. Should work very nice as a bottle reg piston replacement,
-2x0.3mm air passage holes - slower reg recovery time. Dedicated as a plenum reg piston replacement.

The dimensions of my pistons are exactly the same as a delrin one. There is no problem with achieving high reg pressures.

If you are interested in my brass piston - just shoot me a PM. You will get the following package:
- brass reg piston,
- two orings: NBR70 and NBR90. The latter one should be placed in the reg case. Harder oring eliminates extrusion,
View attachment 295087
- a 0.25mm wire to make sure the air passages are clean.

Thanks!

View attachment 295085
Hi do you still sell the brass piston??

Hola. Inmediatamente contacté a Vetmx ya que estoy 100% detrás de mis productos. No puede superar los 150 bares en el registro de botella con un pistón de latón. Las dimensiones del vástago son las mismas que en el pistón original (las medidas las toma Vetmx):
View attachment 306851
View attachment 306852

La única diferencia está en el espesor de la pared sobre la que actúa la presión:

View attachment 306854
View attachment 306855

Esta pared es aproximadamente 0,35 mm más gruesa que la original:

View attachment 306857
Eso se hizo a propósito para hacer el pistón más robusto, ya que esa es la pared sobre la que actúa la presión. Sin embargo, no influye en el rango de regulación. En tal caso, diría que el problema puede estar relacionado con la pila de la lavadora.
metromy friend please if possible you can write to my email [email protected] I have good projects too

Screenshot_2023-02-24-23-08-22-830-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

Hi.

We know that a standard FX Impact regulator piston is made of delrin. It has a pretty poor coefficient of thermal expansion comparing to brass. Brass is a much better choice. It is more rigid and tough which is pretty important when we think about high reg pressures. FX offers a brass piston as a replacement of the delrin one but it has two major limitations:
- some people reported problems with setting high pressure - the piston is longer than a delrin one and there is not enough threads to accomodate that,
- the air passage hole is too big. Huma regs use the air flow restrictor in a form of a screw. Thanks to that reg does not get hit that hard when there is a big pressure difference between the air bottle and the plenum. The plenum is replenished more gradually with flow restriction. Delrin piston has that flow restriction but sometimes reg recovery takes too much time. My goal was to deliver faster recovery time than a delrin piston but slower than FX brass piston.

Because of the above limitations I came up with my own design and here it is.

View attachment 295082
View attachment 295083

View attachment 295084

The air passage holes are 0.3mm in diameter, where a human hair is up to 0.1mm in diameter. Drilling technique was pretty tricky to avoid drill breaking (the angle was the greatest challenge):

But the end effect is insane:

After the break in period there is virtually no reg creep.

There are two versions of the piston:
- 4x0.3mm air passage holes - faster reg recovery time. Should work very nice as a bottle reg piston replacement,
-2x0.3mm air passage holes - slower reg recovery time. Dedicated as a plenum reg piston replacement.

The dimensions of my pistons are exactly the same as a delrin one. There is no problem with achieving high reg pressures.

If you are interested in my brass piston - just shoot me a PM. You will get the following package:
- brass reg piston,
- two orings: NBR70 and NBR90. The latter one should be placed in the reg case. Harder oring eliminates extrusion,
View attachment 295087
- a 0.25mm wire to make sure the air passages are clean.

Thanks!

View attachment 295085

Thank you guys. I do my best to improve these guns.

If anyone else is interested please shoot me a PM. There will be just one batch available. I do it for myself and I share it with you. But once the batch is done - it is done forever.
I tried to PM you but your account shows you are blocked. I would like one for my Impact that has a power plenum. Let me know how to pay please