FX Impact M3 vs. CZ 457 .22LR - How close are we getting?

How does the FX Impact M3 .22 cal match up against the CZ 457 .22LR? Video is live on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/CkDC6k91WPg

For this test I wound up my FX Impact m3 with 700mm barrel as high as it can go in its current configuration to 175 bar with the slug power kit slinging prototype 40 grain Patriot Javelin slugs. The M3 hands down walks all over the CZ 457 .22LR in a pellet tune at 50 yards in windless conditions, but I wanted this test to be as much of an apples-to-apples comparison slinging the same size and high BC slug as the .22LR. With 34 grain slugs I am getting just over 1000 FPS and with these 40 grainers around 920 FPS. With 40 grain precision .22LR ammo you will find those velocities are in that 1050 to 1080 FPS range.

What was shocking was even with the super expensive premium powder burner ammo, the FX Impact blows away the velocity spreads of Lapua Midas+ at $20 a box of 50 round. The Patriot Javelins are $25 a bottle of 200! That is a lot of bang for your buck or better yet a lot more PEW! for your pennies! We aren't there yet on the power, but we are getting pretty damn close!

So there's this:

The FX costs almost $1500 more than the CZ, PLUS the price of a compressor and tank. So $2000 more for marginally better accuracy and almost the same power, running wide open.

I think the higher ammo cost is a bit of a moot point considering the difference in initial investment. FWIW, the one I had shot the CCI Standard Velocity cheap stuff better than any of the exotic stuff anyway. 

Cool comparison either way. 

At the end of the day, the FX still looks like a Super Soaker, is inherently fragile, and shoulders up like a coffee maker. But if performance is everything, I guess the cost and form factor dont matter much. 

Reactions: mercado
Breaking news, airguns cost more. And thumper isn't an Impact fan and the gun is so ugly the styling has been copied by many manufacturers, Daystate included. 

So mark it on your calender guys Thumper is not an FX fan.

Now what made you come to that conclusion……LMAO!
1f914.svg
1f914.svg
1f914.svg
1f923.svg
1f923.svg
1f923.svg

Maybe the 50x he splashed haterade liberally onto threads. We get it buddy. 

Breaking news, airguns cost more. And thumper isn't an Impact fan and the gun is so ugly the styling has been copied by many manufacturers, Daystate included. 

Damn! Ya got me! 

But in all fairness, they copied the styling because they all figured out that it was easier to build a gun without a stock, and that people would still buy them without one. Funny thing, the price doesn't reflect that little detail. Across the board, not just FX.

It's a lot easier to build a tube chassis dragster than it is to build a full body car. But a tube chassis dragster really sucks trying to drive it anywhere. 

Damn! Ya got me! 

But in all fairness, they copied the styling because they all figured out that it was easier to build a gun without a stock, and that people would still buy them without one. Funny thing, the price doesn't reflect that little detail. Across the board, not just FX.

It's a lot easier to build a tube chassis dragster than it is to build a full body car. But a tube chassis dragster really sucks trying to drive it anywhere. 

You bought some cnc machines lately? Farming out stocks to Minelli is not cheaper than buying rows and rows of CNC machines and hiring people to run them. That's the little detail you're referring to?

Oh boy the FX haters thick. 

i got into airguns for the simple reason that… o rings are cheap. Real cheap. You can put together a stockpile of enough orings to rebuild your gun 50 times for pretty little money.

Then Ammo. I live in the second most armed state in the country. We have more gun stores than gas stations lol. Well idk where thumper has been the last how many years, but ammo for everything continues to rise and is fairly difficult to get. Reloading supplies like primers are even harder to get. And that situation is only gunna get worse. With my impact, I can just go down and press 2000+ slugs for $40.. and that’s if I’m using extruded lead wire instead of casting blanks to press from wheel weights, old plumbing, fishing weights, etc. Powder burners may be cheap, but the ammo is anything but.. and that’s something that is a never ending cost. My wife’s $600 pistol will cost more than my impact in two years if that’s accounted for. And we’re not even accounting for barrels burning out after a few thousand rounds in your powder burning rifles. 

The fx impact is so ugly and impractical, that when I go to the range I end up with a crowd standing behind me watching me shoot and in aw at the groups it produces. Endless questions and excitement over it. Air guns are becoming increasingly popular not only because of the cost to shoot, but the ability to purchase them without being put on a list, and the ability to make ammo without having to purchase manufactured materials. Your not gunna take “something” out at 1000y like you can with a 6.5 creedmore… but air rifles are the ultimate “apocalypse” weapon. 

Reactions: qball
How does the FX Impact M3 .22 cal match up against the CZ 457 .22LR? Video is live on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/CkDC6k91WPg

For this test I wound up my FX Impact m3 with 700mm barrel as high as it can go in its current configuration to 175 bar with the slug power kit slinging prototype 40 grain Patriot Javelin slugs. The M3 hands down walks all over the CZ 457 .22LR in a pellet tune at 50 yards in windless conditions, but I wanted this test to be as much of an apples-to-apples comparison slinging the same size and high BC slug as the .22LR. With 34 grain slugs I am getting just over 1000 FPS and with these 40 grainers around 920 FPS. With 40 grain precision .22LR ammo you will find those velocities are in that 1050 to 1080 FPS range.

What was shocking was even with the super expensive premium powder burner ammo, the FX Impact blows away the velocity spreads of Lapua Midas+ at $20 a box of 50 round. The Patriot Javelins are $25 a bottle of 200! That is a lot of bang for your buck or better yet a lot more PEW! for your pennies! We aren't there yet on the power, but we are getting pretty damn close!

put a barrel tuner on the cz may be better also i bet or take it off the impact see what happens 

Reactions: Caliber 22
You know how to tell if someone in a room shoots an Impact? 

Same way you'll know if they are vegan....

They'll tell ya 😁

Oh boy the FX haters thick. 

i got into airguns for the simple reason that… o rings are cheap. Real cheap. You can put together a stockpile of enough orings to rebuild your gun 50 times for pretty little money.

Then Ammo. I live in the second most armed state in the country. We have more gun stores than gas stations lol. Well idk where thumper has been the last how many years, but ammo for everything continues to rise and is fairly difficult to get. Reloading supplies like primers are even harder to get. And that situation is only gunna get worse. With my impact, I can just go down and press 2000+ slugs for $40.. and that’s if I’m using extruded lead wire instead of casting blanks to press from wheel weights, old plumbing, fishing weights, etc. Powder burners may be cheap, but the ammo is anything but.. and that’s something that is a never ending cost. My wife’s $600 pistol will cost more than my impact in two years if that’s accounted for. And we’re not even accounting for barrels burning out after a few thousand rounds in your powder burning rifles. 

The fx impact is so ugly and impractical, that when I go to the range I end up with a crowd standing behind me watching me shoot and in aw at the groups it produces. Endless questions and excitement over it. Air guns are becoming increasingly popular not only because of the cost to shoot, but the ability to purchase them without being put on a list, and the ability to make ammo without having to purchase manufactured materials. Your not gunna take “something” out at 1000y like you can with a 6.5 creedmore… but air rifles are the ultimate “apocalypse” weapon. 

Ive had that happen with my guns too actually, and the excitement always fades fast when they find out the gun is $1500, and you can't fill it with a bicycle pump, you have to spend another $300-3000 on a compressor and tank.

But at least now you can answer that eternal repetitive that I always get:

"Does it shoot as fast as a .22? They got some out now that do." 

And you can say: "Almost."

Fascinating thread! Keep it going guys. 

I have an fx impact in .22 AND a cz457. 

They are pretty much neck and neck within 100 yards in calm conditions. 

But when the wind picks up there is absolutely no comparison. The cz457 dominates with ease. 

The ballistic coefficient on the cz is 0.13 with the 40 grain bullet. 

The 20.2 nsa slug is .07. So literally HALF the ballistic coefficient. 

The cost of a single precision bullet for the cz457 is .16 a piece. 

I buy nsa slugs for 0.05 cents a piece. 

Needless to say I don't shoot the cz457 very much. 

Not close. 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/xtreme-field-target-jan-2022-match-report/

Broad brush stroke that high end rimfire outshoots high end airgun can be applied to all airguns though, not just the Impact.

+1 on that. I think under controlled conditions the Airgun with slugs is getting close. But in real world competition such as Extreme FT or NRL-22 the airguns have a ways to go…

Have to agree on both viewpoints. 

If you look closely at the 2021 N50 aggregated match reports, there are some really good scores with high end air rifles. However, there are also some consistently higher N50 scores with pro class .22 LRs. In my own experience shooting my RAW HM1000x .22 HP and Daystate Safari .22 HP against my Custom Anschutz 1907 .22 LR with RWS 50 ammo, no contest after shooting a couple hundred N50 cards at 50 yards. I have had some good 240+ scores with both airguns, but just not as many “higher” scoring cards as with the Anschutz. 

I think the airguns are narrowing the gap ( I.e., Mike N’s N50 cards immediately come to mind); but like mentioned above, still a ways to go if you compare high end custom .22 LRs to high end air guns. 

OP - liked your video and research! 

Tom 

This question has come up a lot so.... Even when you take into consideration the cost of the compressor, the total cost of ownership / shooting adds up really quick. So here is the math....

When I go to the range, I’ll burn through an entire bottle of 200 Javelins costing me $25 per trip to the range. With those Midas+ (if I could actually find them) would cost me $80. So take that $55 difference per trip to the range and calculate your total cost of ownership over time. It could be argued that I could maybe find SK Match .22LR or something cheaper to lower that cost per shot, but it could also be said that if I were to shoot precision JSB or FX pellets that also drives down the cost per shot where a tin of pellets at $13 for 200 pellets. I will tell you I tried all kinds of more "bargain" ammo in the CZ and I couldn't get any of it to shoot sub MOA over 5 x 5 shot groups. The Midas+ and sometimes the Center-X (roughly $20 a box of 50). Again crazy cold conditions and this could get better in warmer weather where maybe the CCI Standard Velocity Target rounds might be a lower cost option that can shoot sub MOA. 

To keep the comparison the same, both base cost of each rifle should be used. $2200 for the Impact and $500 for a portable compressor = $2700 total roughly. Yes, you can trick out each rifle with a bunch of mods, but all those bells and whistles for each run about the same and as a matter of fact, we run the same scopes precision powder burners do.

With the CZ 457 .22LR is was $650 at my local gun shop. So basically there is a $2050 difference baseline for the two on day 1 of ownership. So $2050 baseline purchase difference / $55 cost per shot difference per trip to the range = 37 trips to the range where now the cost of ownership of the CZ brakes even with the M3. For me, that’s literally only a few months of shooting where the .22LR starts to exceed the total cost of shooting / ownership. Even if you don't shoot as much as I do, you're gonna most likely get the ROI of the FX Impact within a year of ownership vs. a precision .22LR. It all depends on how much you shoot, but the math pencils out. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: steve-l