FX Impact M3 Compact Opinions

So, I have been on a never ending waitlist for Brocock Concept and stopped by a newly opened air gun store in the Dallas area. This was the first time I have been able to handle anything other than my Marauder so I was like a kid in the candy store. A couple different rifles caught my eye, but I am going to focus on the FX Impact M3 Compact in 22 for a backyard target and squirrel shooter.

I know FX is very polarizing, but would like to hear opinions on the rifle. On paper it sounds like I will get a higher shot count than the Concept which would be nice, however I am concerned about the amount of tuning and potential maintenance required. Is this actual reality or overblown on the forums. I don't mind a little tuning an maintenance, but don't want to wind up with a never ending nightmare. 

The gun shop will do a free tune with purchase so curious if this is enough to get me started and will only need additional tuning if I use different pellets. 

Haven't done any maintenance yet on my two impacts. My compact 22 likes knockouts. Haven't touched in a year it shoots lights out. Their are less 30 slugs available. I'm currently looking for zan 30 slugs . My 30cal sniper seems more finicky and more moded I'm still currently working on a barrel mod. 30 cal has more pop.

How long have you had the impacts and not preformed any maintenance? I realize the M3 is still rather new or do you have an older model?

One more question for everyone. Is the pic rail in front of the trigger guard long enough for a Arca tripod adapter?

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming. 

My Impact M3 Compact is my #1 ground squirrel gun. The only close competition so far is my Uragan Compact, which comes in at a very close, but still #2 position. Both are in .22 cal and both are tuned to shoot Hades pellets very accurately.

Lots of talk on the forum about POI shifts with Impacts. Maybe I'm just lucky but both guns mentioned above can sit in a rack or a case for a month at time, then be pulled out and take a squirrel at 45 yards on the very first shot fired. Or maybe the shorter barrel on the M3 Compact model is just more solid, and isn't as susceptible to POI changes as the longer barrels on the std & sniper models?

Both are easily tunable for my needs - maybe change from shooting Hades to 18.13's every once in a while. Both have excellent triggers and repeatable accuracy. And that's target bullseye accuracy and not just hunting accuracy. Both handle very well for walk & stalk. Uragan magazine works better for left handed shooters. Impact wins on extent of easy tunable parameters. But don't let excessive tunability concern you. Once you get it shooting where you want you don't have to touch it. And later you may come to appreciate more tunability. Both have excellent shot counts per fill - really more than you will ever need unless it is a really long shooting session. I don't feel the need for a moderator to reduce sound any further on either of them, and like the fact that they therefore can stay short in the hands.

In other words I like my M3 Compact very much.

IMG_2593.1650819726.JPG

My Impact M3 Compact is my #1 ground squirrel gun. The only close competition so far is my Uragan Compact, which comes in at a very close, but still #2 position. Both are in .22 cal and both are tuned to shoot Hades pellets very accurately.

Lots of talk on the forum about POI shifts with Impacts. Maybe I'm just lucky but both guns mentioned above can sit in a rack or a case for a month at time, then be pulled out and take a squirrel at 45 yards on the very first shot fired. Or maybe the shorter barrel on the M3 Compact model is just more solid, and isn't as susceptible to POI changes as the longer barrels on the std & sniper models?

Both are easily tunable for my needs - maybe change from shooting Hades to 18.13's every once in a while. Both have excellent triggers and repeatable accuracy. And that's target bullseye accuracy and not just hunting accuracy. Both handle very well for walk & stalk. Uragan magazine works better for left handed shooters. Impact wins on extent of easy tunable parameters. But don't let excessive tunability concern you. Once you get it shooting where you want you don't have to touch it. And later you may come to appreciate more tunability. Both have excellent shot counts per fill - really more than you will ever need unless it is a really long shooting session. I don't feel the need for a moderator to reduce sound any further on either of them, and like the fact that they therefore can stay short in the hands.

In other words I like my M3 Compact very much.

IMG_2593.1650819726.JPG

GOTTA LOVE THE BRONZE A TOM LOL MINES A SHOOTER FOR SURE 
NXLH5232.1650826960.JPG

I can't give you a discrete number as I've never done that test. But even with the little bottle, you still get a bunch of shots - well over 100. Impacts can be tuned to use air so efficiently, which leads to high shot counts and low noise.

For my needs my regulator #2 is set to only 85 bar. So I can shoot from fill pressure (I normally fill my FX bottle guns only to 230 bar) all the way down to 85. At that setting Hades were most accurate for me at 855 fps, or setting 11 on the hammer spring dial. If I want to shoot 18.13's, I just turn the hammer spring dial to 15 for best accuracy at 880 fps with that pellet.

Sure, I will get fewer shots on HS=15 as that valve is getting banged open harder/longer, but I have never been to a point with this gun where I'm at the bench saying to myself "Do I have to fill this thing again already?"

And if you really end up needing a higher shot count, you can always throw a 480cc bottle onto the gun if you don't use a moderator (or use a skinny enough one - maybe like a DFL Tanto with a listed diameter of 1.22", or a small Huggett which seems to have the same diameter. But not a small 0dB as its diameter is more like 1.25x and it interferes with the shroud). Here is a pic of a test fit of a 480cc bottle and a Tanto on my M3 Compact showing that there will be clearance.

IMG_2597.1650834541.JPG

Reactions: Robertcasey
Thank you sir! That is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. May just go ahead and pull the trigger on one of these instead of the Brocock Concept. Really getting tired of waiting for the Concept and the true modularity of the Impact is more to my liking. 

How well do you think the DFL Tanto works? This will be a backyard gun for the most part so being quite as possible is a priority. 

Well, I just pulled the trigger and picked it up. Any recommendations on a DonnyFL suppressor? Size is not important but want to keep it quite for the backyard and don't want anything huge.

Have you verified that it is not quiet enough without additional moderation? Like have someone stand 20 feet on either side of you or to the side downrange to listen to the gun? Sometimes what we hear as the shooter is much louder than anyone around us will hear. Some guns are quieter than the noise of the projectile hitting the target/backstop, but as the shooter we don't know that (especially with a gun like the Impact, where a lot is happening right next to your ear).

In cases where my guns have a shortish barrel (and I'm not trying to use the weight of a moderator to dampen harmonic vibrations in a long barrel), and I need just a bit more hush, I try to go with the smallest, shortest moderator possible. Like using only 2 of the 3 sections of a Huma 30mm mod (available through Trenier), or something like a Huggett Mini Magna or Belita (available through Penchetta) (although I liked the Atom best but doesn't seem to be available).

The less you can use to serve your real needs, the more handy you keep your gun.

Okay, I am done spending for a while. I emailed DonnyFL and they recommended the Sumo so that's what I went with. @TMH you maybe right and I will definitely see what it sounds like without one at 20 ft or so, but I have been wanting to play with a moderator. I had a scope waiting in the safe but needed rings so ordered some from amazon. Hopefully I will have everything in time to break it in on the weekend. Looks, fit and finish on this are top notch, hopefully its a shooter too. 

Next on my list are 

Innorel AS90C tripod

Ball Head TBD

Saber Tactical Compact Arca rail or Kraford and Lypt Impact gravity rail 

Okay, I am done spending for a while. I emailed DonnyFL and they recommended the Sumo so that's what I went with. @TMH you maybe right and I will definitely see what it sounds like without one at 20 ft or so, but I have been wanting to play with a moderator. I had a scope waiting in the safe but needed rings so ordered some from amazon. Hopefully I will have everything in time to break it in on the weekend. Looks, fit and finish on this are top notch, hopefully its a shooter too. 

Next on my list are 

Innorel AS90C tripod

Ball Head TBD

Saber Tactical Compact Arca rail or Kraford and Lypt Impact gravity rail

Get the biggest ball head you can find within reason. Makes a big difference on amount of force you need to "lock" it IMO. I have a 44mm and a 52mm I think. I had some smaller ones and they aren't much good for anything but a bench top tripod. IMO 

I have this one in 52mm 60-70$ usd shipped. 

C$ 60.07 46%OFF | Low Center of Gravity 52mm 44mm 36mm Tripod Ball Head Double U Notch Ultra-low Profile Damping Setting CNC Ballhead Heavy Duty
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMzG3am

Thanks for all if the input guys! Scope is mounted. It may be a little overkill for this gun, but plans change and I had it available. Fired a few shots as it was getting dark so no real chance to sight it in and it is loud as currently tuned. Will wait for the Sumo to arrive before I start trying to sight it in and tune it if needed. I had some gift cards laying around so went ahead and picked up Artcise AS95C Tripod and TB54 Ball head from amazon. Should be here along with the Sumo for the weekend. 

Is there a preferred pellet for these? I have JSB18's, Hades, Crossman 14.3's and H&N Crow Magnums to start with.

20220426_174706.1651023650.jpg