• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact M3 Caliber Change For F/T Competition

I shoot mainly from a bench but MIGHT get interested in field target shooting. Here's my question - if I get a .177 barrel change kit for my Impact M3 will it be a good FT shooter or am I better off just getting a dedicated FT gun? Anyone using an Impact M3 for field target? My Impact is .25 caliber but the caliber change over looks pretty quick and simple and the FX "quick tune" system might make the caliber switching pretty easy. Thoughts?

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
I tried the FX .177 barrel kit in HFT, carbon liner, netted poor groups. Polish, recrown... still poor groupings at many speeds with JSB monsters, redesigns, 844. and 10.34s. I had better scores shooting .22 15.8 grain. Still experienced POI shifts as the match and temperatures typically increase throughout the 2-3 hour matches.

Fitted a .177 LW slow twist poly barrel, much better, shifting gone, 10 shot groupings 9/16" at 55 yards.

I tried the FX .177 barrel kit in HFT, carbon liner, netted poor groups. Polish, recrown... still poor groupings at many speeds with JSB monsters, redesigns, 844. and 10.34s. I had better scores shooting .22 15.8 grain. Still experienced POI shifts as the match and temperatures typically increase throughout the 2-3 hour matches.

Fitted a .177 LW slow twist poly barrel, much better, shifting gone, 10 shot groupings 9/16" at 55 yards.
You fitted the LW barrel to the Impact? Where did you get it?

I do not shoot field target, but I do shoot offhand often in the woods at squirrels and chippers. My gun of choice currently for off hand is a crown in walnut stock. I run a 380 barrel to make it more compact, but I’m sure field target, you could use the 600mm barrel without issue.
A friend shot a Crown this weekend and did well. Might have to look into one of those! Thanks!

Reactions: madeintheuk
You fitted the LW barrel to the Impact? Where did you get it?
Tim McMurray at Mac1 Airguns, also available directly from Lothar Walther as 16mm blank in Stainless or steel. Must be turned down to 14 mm and breech end with transfer port machined. Then polished and tuned to application.

This is a lane from today's CASA match, buddy shooting AirArms.
IMG_4162.JPG

FT is a lot of fun with varied targets, disciplines and personalities.

Keep it fun, shoot what feels good and be willing to explore different equipment and categories. The "Buy once, cry once" adage can make you very narrow, "explore more, learn more " can provide more entertainment and tolerance.

Trying to increase your score can become an arms race very quickly, which can also be fun, but certainly not everything FT has to offer.

FT is a lot of fun with varied targets, disciplines and personalities.

Keep it fun, shoot what feels good and be willing to explore different equipment and categories. The "Buy once, cry once" adage can make you very narrow, "explore more, learn more " can provide more entertainment and tolerance.

Trying to increase your score can become an arms race very quickly, which can also be fun, but certainly not everything FT has to offer.
Great advice.

I compete with many different guns, just for the sheer fun of it. Sometimes I'll be well aware prior to that match that a gun won't be netting me the high score, but I also know I'll enjoy it.

2022 was my first year competing in FT. I converted my M3 .25 cal to .177 cal using the 600mm barrel. I also switched the 580 cc bottle to the 300 cc to reduce weight and provide better balance. I'm shooting JSB 10.3 pellets at 890 fps with the following settings Reg 1 = 150 bars, Reg 2 = 85 bars, Front Valve = 8.74 mm (use digital calipers to measure), Macro Adjuster = 8, and finally the Micro Adjuster = 1.625. I get almost 200 shots with this setup. And with two magazines, I can shoot the whole match. It's been a terrific FT gun. My FT scores get better as I improve but the gun has been accurate, reliable and a lot of fun to shoot. I'm also shooting a Crown MKII with .177/500mm barrel with great results. I use a Hawke scope on the Crown and find it MUCH better for FT than the Element on the M3.
Just a heads up, JPS2486 never misses an opportunity to diss FX .177's. I say Go for it!

I should mention that I have converted the M3 back to .25 cal to compete in our Extreme FT events in OKC. I do find it tedious to switch back and forth between calibers. Hope this helps.

RenderedImage.jpg

Last edited: