• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact M3 .357, in the search for more umph

If only if someone would make a set of c clamps, like how scope rings attach, to attach the block to the tensioner and the shroud to the tensioner. This would hold whatever tension the gun is set at too. The barrel lock with the clamp is similar to the idea, but is only on one side and doesn't lock the shroud down to the tensioner.
Hah! It's funny that we are actually thinking in similiar directions on this. You just described my plan, so now I don't feel so weird sharing. Let me go take some pictures of the parts i've gathered so far. :)

So here was my thinking- This is where i initially got excited for the airmarksman backbone, but then they completely dropped the ball. So i ended up gathering parts.
shroud support.jpg

That "backbone" is 1" x 1.25" tall- too big as is, but I wanted the additional height since it would need to be cut to allow room for the new shroud and scope rings to mount. This will definitely be a bench rest gun when i'm done with it. In addition to this, I need to cut a dual bottle adapter and convert it into a drop-bottle adapter to make room for the much larger shroud.

30mm tube, 30mm scope rings. then you can support it all the way out to the end of the barrel, eliminating the bending moment at that last block on the receiver.

shroud.jpg

Reactions: 7Green
Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Just a little update. With my new hammer setup the 93 Nsa's hit 975fps somewhere between 185 to 190 bar. Accuracy is a 2" spread at 50 though and there is a noticable rifle crack noise.

At 160 bar the 79 grain Nsa's hit the same speeds.

My plan is now to detune it and figure out what speeds accuracy starts coming back. I set the 2nd reg at 160 bar for now, which results in the 93 Nsa's going around 925 to 930fps range.

One question I ponder is; I don't know if it is better to have a higher bar pressure and a short cycle of air or a lower bar and longer cycle of air.

Either way, I believe the gun is capable of 200 ftlbs now if I push the 2nd reg to 200 bar. I am not going to, but figure everyone would want to know what the new potential is.

I am still waiting on my part from kraford and lypt for the 1st reg delete too. I guess they ran out of o-rings for them and they should have the next week. It will be nice getting rid of the slow plenum refill times.

This evening I decided to mess around with some 93 grain nsa's but in the .356 size. I was really suprised at how accurate they were out of my gun. Far better than the .357 size I launched the other day. The .357 size was very accurate with my previous setup when launched around 865fps. I am launching the .356's at 930 fps. At 50 yards my son and I were consistently hiting the nsa box and even shotgun shells laying on the ground from dove season. Never the less, the .356 size definately warrants more testing.

I noticed alot of bark when the speeds started getting above 950fps and with the valve adjuster wide open. A short dwell time at a higher pressure may help some. At least in theory. Afterall, it allows the air to expand some as it travels down the barrel and doesn't waste an excess amount of gas. For instance, last time I tested it I got similar speeds just past 4 lines on the valve adjuster as I did at wide open. I waste 9-10 bar a shot wide open and only 6 to 7 bar visa versa.

My theory/thought right now is 170ish bar on the 2nd reg and adjust the valve adjuster in for hopefully accuracy and efficiency. 160 bar with the valve wide open was 930's fps previously. I noticed the other day accuracy started showing up with .356 NSA's in the 920 to 930 range. Unfortunately I need more to further test those. I had good accuracy with .357's in the 860 plus fps range.

I also think barrel stiffness plays a large part in why the .356's started getting accurate in the 930's vs the .357's. .357's simply put more stress on the lands of the barrel, thus more whip. I'm not saying the barrel isn't designed for .357's, just that it currently whips more with it. I have not found point of aim or hole in hole accuracy yet at these speeds, but I saw a glimmer of hope with the .356's.

Plenty accurate for turkeys and coyotes.

Personally, I would wait to purchase one until some of the updates come out and are stocked. A lot of us owners have been patiently waiting for a very long time with the promise of heavy barrels, tensioned barrels, etc.... I do love my 35 cal, don't get me wrong. Just knowing what I know now, I would wait.

The 35 cal western rattler perks my interests a lot, but they are new and I want to see what issues arise and what future generations yield with regard to any of those issues. I'll probably buy one come around gen 3, as I have more than enough power for everything I can legally hunt in Commifornia.

If you are interested in FX, they do make nice guns in my opinion. Yes, there are a lot of orings in an impact, but it really isn't that hard to work on if you have any sort of mechanical ability.

I would also suggest a 30 cal if you just can't wait. Decent shot count and decent power with proven accuracy for slugs when setup right. Plenty of data available online too.

Last, I would recommend none of them if you don't have a scba refill tank and a place to supply it with air or a compressor of your own. Pumping to fill them up in my opinion is lame and a pia. Not so bad with the smaller calibers, but still a pia.

Reactions: ram2jeep
If you are interested in FX, they do make nice guns in my opinion. Yes, there are a lot of orings in an impact, but it really isn't that hard to work on if you have any sort of mechanical ability.
Agree with the wait if you don't have the mechanical ability, but it is great fun and exciting to play around with the power and accuracy etc on them aiguns if you have the ability

Got hold of some nice 74cc back plenums for both of my M3's, a non power block and the other with, guess that will give same power at lower pressure, and make it easier to find accurate tune, less stress to the whole platform

1663921715135.png

It is funny, I watch these you tube videos about the new liner and tensioned barrel system claiming FX nailed it, but we have yet to see it become available.
I have come to the conclusion that anything I see from their team is for their team. I purchase based on what’s available and not what is coming in the future; been burned by them for two years now.
Besides the .35, from now on all my rifle’s will be stock. I don’t understand why I need to stiffen the barrel, and brace the frame for it to shoot even better. My results with stock are great and I’ve been reading some of our more experienced members thoughts on having to “alter” an already good product.
Going forward if the rifle doesn’t meet the needs then it won’t be purchased. I just picked up a Wildcat iii BT version and it’s plenty powerful and dang accurate as well; no need to do anything to it. No tensioner, no slug power kit, no pin probe no more anything.
Even though I’m disappointed with how, not just FX, but others as well don’t produce what they say especially in a timely fashion, I also thank them. I thank them for helping me realize I don’t need the extras and for saving me money.