• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning FX Impact M3 35 cal power destiny

Sometimes I wonder why I force myself to mess with stuff...lol. 

It took me all of 15 min to install the new hammer assembly; However, upon reassembly of the gun I hear the dreaded sound of air escaping near the front valve. So I take the thing apart, check the front valve, and everything looks good. Spray soapy water on it and no leaks, but I still hear that dreaded hissing sound. Take it apart again, thinking maybe I missed an o-ring somewhere...nope. Back together, still hear it...doh. I then put the gun up to my ear and hear it on one of the Sekhmet gauges...bingo. One of my guages had loosened slightly with all my dis-assemblies of the gun. 

An hour plus later, she is back together and no leaks. 

Well I tested it out and will going back to my previous setup. It appears from my data that peak hammer energy was some where near my old setup. Plus, the gun shot amazing with that tune.

New assembly peaked velocity at 921 to 926fps for JSB's and 850 to 854fps for NSA's. 

I also notice the 79 grain NSA's seem to shoot at similar speeds as the 81 grain JSB's. 

Screenshot_20210918-160512_FX Radar.1632006628.jpg

Well I tested it out and will going back to my previous setup. It appears from my data that peak hammer energy was some where near my old setup. Plus, the gun shot amazing with that tune.

New assembly peaked velocity at 921 to 926fps for JSB's and 850 to 854fps for NSA's. 

I also notice the 79 grain NSA's seem to shoot at similar speeds as the 81 grain JSB's.

Well, my gun finally arrived today. Naturally, I spent all day reassembling and resetting it up. Then I pumped a bunch of lead down range. I spent hours and dollars verifying your conclusions. After much frustration, I got a chuckle out of seeing our data line-up.

From FX warranty repair, with a request to shoot NSA 93s at 860 and JSB's at 930, that is how it arrived, with the following settings:

Front Reg-185

Rear Reg-170

4.5 Micro

16 Macro

13.5 on the Valve adjuster, which is way, way past the 4th line.

With these settings the gun was very consistent, but not at all accurate at 50 yards with either projectile. Turning the Macro down to 12 put the JSB's at 880fps, and they became very accurate.

I started adjusting the dials to find accuracy for the 93gr Nielsens. I went as low as 815 fps and as high as 870 fps. Interestingly, a couple of times I went off the second reg, and I noticed a speed increase, as 7Green noted, so I dropped the second reg down to 165 with a slight speed bump. So with the stock .35 hammer set-up and all other internals freshly sorted from FX USA, there's definitely a point at which reg pressure exceeds hammer capability. The gun is also much happier at 165 than how it came back to me at 170, and I will bump down to 160 tomorrow and try that. 

I am a tad frustrated that I moved through a whole box of the 93's without finding anything that is remotely close to acceptable accuracy, regardless of how tight the spread is kept. I only have 3 more boxes of the .357 93 gr's. I am beginning to wonder if I will need the .358's as even though I've kept a spread of 3fps through ten shots and a few different speeds, nothing wants to group at 50 yards. Getting a consistent speed and fine tuning the accuracy is what the new Harmonic Tuning system is suppose to be all about. I know barrel whip is a real thing with the 800mm barrel, and given I am getting a super tight fps spread, I believe my issue is finding the right harmonic node or maybe I need the .358s.

I did have two boxes of the 79gr (357s), which are moving at 930-933ish at max, matching my max JSB 81 gr speed, and they actually show more promise than the 93grs in terms of accuracy. Everything I've read and seen online states the 93gr's can have the same or better accuracy as the 81 gr JSB's, but I haven't read much positive about the 79gr Nielsens in the FX 35. Thus far, they have better accuracy than the 93s.

I'll try some more stuff tomorrow. I do have a .30 cal 600mm conversion with a heavy Superior liner and a few different .30 slugs that I want to try on the .35 M3 as well in the near future.

In summary, it seems that the way the gun came back to me was as requested and in line with advertised performance, but the same performance is available with a lower reg pressure of 165 or below. Even with a tight extreme spread, I am not getting anything to group well yet at 50 yards except the JSB's at 880, and it seems no matter how I arrive at that magic speed, regardless of hammer and reg settings or valve adjustment, they just start grouping well.

Time for a drink and some dinner

@mtndragon, Interesting...I do like the fact that you have more adjustability. Just out of curiousity; what are you shooting groups off of?

My gun seems to have gotten more accurate with the NSA's. I don't know if it was due to speed, how the gun is held, or cleaning the barrel. I know mine seems very accurate with the NSA's now. When I first started it was similar to what you are reporting. 

I used wd40 with the silicon in it to clean my barrel twice, along the way. I haven't cleaned it for at least 1000 rounds now lol. I don't know if that matter. I never used any brushes in it either, just patches.

I had FX set up the tune for the JSB's and I've got them now at 875fps with the 1st reg at 180 and the 2nd at 130. I know I can do more but until that heavy liner comes out i'm gonna stick with the pellets. I have plenty of .35 pellets and have plenty of the 79 and 93 NSA slugs but definitely gonna wait on the slugs. 

Next week is gonna be range time and groups and will let you know the findings but the pellets are extremely consistent with the FX tune. When I first had the rifle I was pushing some high fps but accuracy was an issue. Once I brought the speeds down I was able to to shot moa at 100 yards. 

I really want to see what it can do with the heavy liner and heavy slugs...

@mtndragon If you have time or get bored; Can you take the valve adjuster cap and housing off?

The gun will have to be depressurized to check it.

I am curious what Fx has your C1 set at on the max settings. (Macro 16, Micro 4.5)

On the minimum settings, 1 on the Macro, I measure at 5.5mm. I am curious if they set it at 5.5 mm at max settings. This would cause the hammer to open the valve sooner. 

Ok. New setup was a success. Adjustability to practically number 5 on the micro dial and a slight velocity increase. The slower speeds you will see is me turning the valve adjuster in and out or a double feed.

153 to 168 bar peak velocity 935fps with 81 JSB's with most in the mid to upper 920 fps range. Gun set at 157 bar from now on as peak was around 155 to 158 bar. 165 was very similar before the velocity dropped off.

865 fps with 93 grain NSA's with most around 860 fps.

926 to 932 fps with 79 grain NSA's

Some things I learned and have been learning are messing with the valve adjuster and cocking the gun and firing too fast, slows the velocity. The first being the most obvious. The gun is better if you give it a second or two to fill the power plenum and the speeds are more consistent as a result.

See below

Another thing to consider, which I discovered last night, is how smooth and easily the hammer assembly slides on the valve rod.

Last night I was using the various assembly parts I have and purposely sliding them on the valve rod to feel for friction/resistance. I could feel the resistance on the rod from some of the parts, including oem parts. Polishing them or slightly widening the opening helped a lot.

The best hammer that slid the smoothest was the oem one from FX with out the delrin insert. Metal on metal felt the best, as the delrin pieces seemed to grab the valve rod more. I also prefer the solid metal C1, as it seemed really easy to destroy the delrin insert on the one FX sent me. 

I may order another hammer assembly from FX with select parts and modify them to what all my data has concluded thus far. The very best setup in my opinion would be a 29.5 to 30.5 grain hammer assembly. There needs to be 17mm of space in the hammer to allow for the Micro dial to hit the number 5 on the dial. None of the parts (hammer or C1) would have the delrin inserts. Instead a delrin spacer would be used between the hammer and the C1. A solid brass hammer assembly may hit the above specs and weight tolerances, but would have to be tested to know for certain. The hammer would other wise need a 1/2 oz Tungsten weight installed to meet the spec.