Tuning Fx impact m3 .25 tuning progress/issues

Hey guys I just got my new impact M3 last week and I’ve spent the last 4 days at the range playing with the tunes. The best 5 shot group I could get was a 0.58” group at 50 yards in maybe 15-20 km/h wind with the NSA 26.8 grain slugs around 910 FPS, I’ve got the 33.6 grain down to .62” at 50 around 914 FPS and I’ve got the 36.2 grain down to a .8” group at 50 yards around 978 FPS. My gun couldn’t shoot the NSA 29 grains, best group I got at 50 yards was about 2 inches, gave up on those pretty quick.
So all in all I’m quite happy but the problem lies where I can’t repeat the same groups later on when I try to go back to that tune I’ve tried for an hour to shoot the same group with no success. I’m going to have to go back down to the range and try again later but now I’m thinking maybe I’m not giving the gun enough shots to settle in between shooting the groups? I would try one setting, then adjust the micro wheel 1-2 clicks fire 1-2 shots off at the steel then shoot my 5 shot group on paper. Has anyone else had this same issue? Maybe my problem is just not getting enough shots off between adjustments to let everything settle? 

my gun is currently set at:

1st reg 170 BAR (Every time i check it it’s up or down 10 bar), 2nd reg 140 BAR, Valve return spring set at 6th line ish (12.38mm out), Hammer wheel set at 15, Micro adjuster set at 4.5. That was getting me 978 FPS with a 21 FPS spread, 7.6 std dev and 0.8” group.
this setup was getting me pretty much all around 1 inch groups at 50 yards with the 36.2 g NSA. If I get more time in the next couple days I’ll try get down and continue trying to get my groups smaller maybe by changing my reg pressures instead of the hammer spring adjustments. Or if I play with the valve return spring settings some more but it seems I need that all the way open to get the power needed.

I just ordered the stx superior heavy liner to try out. I already have the slug power kit, and the carbon barrel sleeve installed, and I’m thinking of upgrading my gauges to huma bc the first reg gauge is up or down 10-20 bar sometimes, not sure if that’s the gauge or just how the valves are meant to work. anyways this is what I’ve run into so far playing with my fx impact m3 .25cal. If anyone has had these same problems and have figured it out any tips or tricks to easier or better tuning would be appreciated. 

You’re not having issues. Everything you wrote is pretty much the norm with slugs. Your first reg issue is normal too. It’s not the gauge. It’s called reg creep. If you keep spending money on stuff for the gun thinking you can make it better and tons of slugs, that’s normal also. It’s what makes the wheels on the industry go round and round.

Ohh well that’s good to know, I was worried about that front reg bouncing around so much. I still wanna try get the NSA 36g or 33g to shoot like the 26g were, bc they were good just couldn’t get it back to that 0.58” good haha. Not sure why but the 36 seem to like the higher speeds than the others but they do. I have a slug barrel coming in the mail I’m really hoping that will tighten things up a bit and get a little more consistency. Also I have to look into indexing my barrel, I’ve just learned about that not sure if it’s really that big of a deal or not but next time I have spare time I mite as well try it out and see if I get better results. I feel like there is a long road of tinkering ahead of me haha but once I find “the tune” for either the 33s or 36s I’ll be a happy camper.

Well I got out today with my new slug liner installed and had some good results. I was getting about a .75” groups at 50 yards shooting the NSA 33.6 grains. But when I moved out to 100 I got a 0.88” CTC 5 shot group, I was pretty happy with those results. I got the STD Deviation down to only 1.2 across 20 shots shooting at an avg of 958 FPS with a high of 960 and low of 956 so spread of 4. Thats the best spread I’ve ever achieved even with pellets so I think I finally found the tune for my gun. The first reg is set at 150 second reg at 120, then my return spring is 12.27mm out power wheel set to 16 and the micro wheel set a hair under 4.5. I wanted to keep playing with the tune but it’s shooting pretty good where it’s at so I don’t wanna mess it up but I still have to test other weights in the new barrel so I just hope I can get it back to this good if I come back to the 33.6g slugs, maybe I’ll get the 36.2s to group better next time I go out. Gonna have to wait for a day off to go see.

D2F7C63D-AF5E-4750-A95A-10053A6C624F.1648786426.jpeg

Yea I’m pretty happy, I’m sure it’ll get better in time or even on a day with no wind, there was about 12-15 mph winds kept changing directions all afternoon. I’ve gotta get out and compare my results after I try the 36.2g NSA, the 33.49 JSB K/O, and I’ve got some hybrids to test out as well and we’ll see what it likes the most. There’s a few more NSA I wanna try out but this is all they had in stock atm I have some more on order but I don’t really wanna go over the 36.2g ones, I live in Canada so no suppressors aloud, the gun gets quite loud as you get into the heavier stuff. 

You’re not having issues. Everything you wrote is pretty much the norm with slugs. Your first reg issue is normal too. It’s not the gauge. It’s called reg creep. If you keep spending money on stuff for the gun thinking you can make it better and tons of slugs, that’s normal also. It’s what makes the wheels on the industry go round and round.

Very well said. Just treat what you see in YT by paid guys as an ad. You know how it is with the ads.

I went out today and it was still shooting pretty close to the same but the first shot at 50 yards was over an inch high and my std dev was around 3. Then I went and tried a few different slugs and messed up all the settings, it seems to like the NSA 33.6 and the NSA 36.2 so far. It hated the JSB Knock Outs 33.49g, The NSA 29g was around 1.5” groups at 50y so it was a no go as well. So then I tried to get back to my previous settings with the NSA 33.6g and had some issues.

The big thing I run into today that I’m really not sure about, is when I went to go back to the nsa 33.6g I was going to just aim for that 960 FPS it loved but I was going to leave my 2nd reg at 130 instead of 120 bc I bumped it up a bit to try the 36.2g and wanted to see if it liked it more and when I shot I tried to turn the FPS down from 980 back to 960 ish, but the power wheel wasn’t doing anything, the FPS had no change until I hit around level 4-5 I finally seen some change. I had also turned my valve return spring in to 4 bars + 1.5 turns like the manual said for max settings when I was testing the 36.2g (i Had previously misread that I could go to 6 bars but mines the 4 bar version so I was too far open before, I Hope I didn’t damage anything). But when I finally started to see some change i was pretty much out of air so I couldn’t keep testing. I’m sure if I open the valve return spring back up it will go back to working the way it was but I don’t want to bc the manual says not to. I’m just not sure as to why my power wheel isn’t giving me more output, I was thinking maybe I need higher reg pressure to balance out the return spring being closed a bit more it’s at 11.51mm now instead of 12.27mm. Going to have to wait and see next time I get out I really hope nothing is damaged and it’s just a pressure thing. Hopefully can get out this weekend to try sort this issue out, we’ll see if I get time and the weather holds up.

Ok so all i had To do was crank my reg up to 160 bar to get it to all work proper. So I went out today and played around some more once everything settled I was shooting at like 980 FPS on power wheel 4 so I had to turn the reg down a bit so I can play with multiple grains on same settings. I managed to get it down so I was closer to that on power 16 but I turned in my front valve spring a bit to get it there. It was shooting the 36.2s ok best groupings were about .75” for 50 yards still and avg was closer to 1.25”. I went to try the 33.6s to see if I could get good speeds on the same reg settings and It was sitting at 955 FPS on power wheel 15. And my first group was 5 shot into one hole 0.53” group. I gave it a few more shots and let everything settle in and it remained fairly consistent all under 1” with a few one hole groups. We had 25-35 kph winds all day so I’m thinking I can get that to tighten up some more yet but the chances of getting out with less than 10 kph wind is pretty slim it’s always windy here so it’s a realistic grouping for me. I just need to get a good zero after I find my final tune and lock it in until I get the next grain slug to test out, still waiting on the 33.5g and 34.9g NSA to come in for testing. Also I have some fx hybrids and hades I haven’t tested yet, but I expect them to like the other barrel not the stx heavy liner so I may swap the barrels back over to test those, I really don’t want the fx hybrids to do good thow there too expensive to shoot all the time haha.