Tuning FX Impact M3 1st regulator modification

I have been facing some issues related to 1st regulator for some time. Some of my friends who had used their guns for reasonable time and opened the 1st regulator for re sealing shared similar issues.

Here are pics of problematic brass part in which piston head enters and on other side there is a groove type thing in which 7.5 x 1.5 mm O rings sits and seals the regulator internals with gun body.

This O ring stops the air that can come from between the outer dia of brass part and inner dia of main stainless Steel body.

20230422_003754.jpg
20230422_003823.jpg

You can see in the pic that may be due to air pressure or excessive use, one end's dia is 6.64mm and other end's dia is 7.01mm.

When the gun was new, these dia were almost same and the piston head could be inserted from either direction. But now due to one end being 6.64mm, the piston head doesn't pass through it and causes working issues and sometimes sealing issues too.

In order to fix this issue I developed a new part with more meat of brass for sturdiness.

To make it thick I have to reduce in the inner dia of this part but it also gave me opportunity to make a groove outside the new part and install a thin O ring to seal this part.

20230422_003911.jpg
20230422_003852.jpg
20230422_003858.jpg

Now the new part seals with the inner dia of main stainless Steel part, bottle connector.

As the internal dia of new brass part is smaller, I made a new piston with the smaller head size that could work with the new part.
20230422_003930.jpg
20230422_003949.jpg

Now you can see that the head size of new piston is 5.93mm as compared to original piston head i. e. around 6.95mm.

After installing this set up, the regulator is working fine. It needs a break in period to attain quick recovery but initial tests results are encouraging.

I understand that as the new part is thicker and with a better sealing system, it will remain in its proper specs.

I don't know how many users of M3 are facing such issues in 1st regulators.

Regards,

Umair Bhaur

Here is update.

Although the 1st regulator is perfectly sealed but the recovery time has been increased from 3 sends to 8 seconds.

Can't calculate why the recovery time has increased.

May be due to the smaller piston head the air pressure on the piston does not exert that much force which is required.

Any ideas please???????

Bhaur
Is there enough room to remove the brass completely and make a larger piston ride on the outside wall where the brass is located or would that not work

Hi
Continued my R&D with all costs :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Finally found that FX Impact M3 all regulators following part is conical irrespective its new gun or used.

20230422_003823.jpg
20230422_003754.jpg

Now the part that I had made was straight and with an additional O ring for better sealing. A piston with smaller head was to be used as new part was made thicker intentionally. As shown below.

20230422_003852.jpg
20230422_003911.jpg
20230422_003858.jpg

But as discussed above the new part and new piston were sealing perfectly but were not giving a good recovery time.

After more and more research, I finally found that FX was intentionally made this part conical from inside.

This tapered surface helps regulator piston to move back quickly as when the regulator is moving back, it is travelling towards the bigger internal dia.

So finally I also used the same logic and created a tapered internal surface by 0.5mm from one side to the other side.

Made a new piston matching that tapered surface and installed new O rings.

Hurrah, the recovery has come back to the point where its good for me.

The tapered surface resolved the recovery time issue.

To me its a great achievement as I have put a lot of time, funds and energy in this project.

I understand that it's a good upgrade for me.

Smaller piston head is not creating any noticeable delay in recovery. Previously I was thinking that smaller piston head is creating the problem.

All is well now.

Thank you for those who took interest and read this post.

Bhaur

My customised piston was still with a bit smaller head than OEM.

Today I did a bit more machining and made the brass piston sleeve to accommodate OEM head size piston. The sleeve is conical internally between 0.3 to 0.4 mm from one end to other end.

The modification with 1mm Cross section O ring is still there for better sealing.

The bigger piston head helps in even better recovery and the 1st reg goes down by 15 bars only after each shot.

Now the combination of both regulators have reasonable breathing space.

Bhaur

Here is update.

Although the 1st regulator is perfectly sealed but the recovery time has been increased from 3 sends to 8 seconds.

Can't calculate why the recovery time has increased.

May be due to the smaller piston head the air pressure on the piston does not exert that much force which is required.

Any ideas please???????

Bhaur
After 3 years, mine has developed a problem shooting down to 140 bar from 150. After sitting for a bit, it returns to 150.