• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact Long Term Maintenance

Before I buy an Impact am wondering if any Impact Owners have any regrets due to the complexity and high o ring count as it relates to any maintenance headaches. I have read comments that some guys are waiting for the Prophet due to simplicity. Just want to make the best decision. Looking at 30 caliber and will stay under 7# gun weight. Thanks for any help on this. 

I have owned several impacts over several years. They seem to be hit and miss. I've had some that were flawless, and trouble free. And others that caused lots of headaches. 

Once you learn the gun inside and out, you can fix anything within an hour provided you have the parts. And there are only a few dynamic orings that need regular replacement and they have good videos to help if you need it.

I have an Impact and it has neither been complex nor a headache. I have one in .30 and have had zero issues. Of all the air rifles I’ve tried, it is easily my favorite to date. The Red Wolf was very close and if I had kept it longer, maybe it could have been as great. I had the same worries before buying, but they turned out to be just worries. I’m not married to FX and would gladly buy anything that is as accurate and easy to shoot, but it sits on top for me right now. 

I have owned several impacts over several years. They seem to be hit and miss. I've had some that were flawless, and trouble free. And others that caused lots of headaches. 

Once you learn the gun inside and out, you can fix anything within an hour provided you have the parts. And there are only a few dynamic orings that need regular replacement and they have good videos to help if you need it.

+1 if you understand how they work and have the right tools? Totally agree! I actually prefer guns that need tweeking, after a few tear downs, you become more in tune with the system, they really are very reliable, a lot of the issues are self inflicted in this game, I am no exception to that. 

I read that stuff on the Impact , orings that need regular replacement , And if you have the right tools the gun is a joy,

And you really have to work on the gun to enjoy it.. That stuff turns me off and around from a 2000 dollar gun buy... 

The Impact has 47 O rings and its advertised as the most complicated air gun , I am sorry I am going to pass , The first 200 pellets out of the tin it may be dead on at 100 yards and beyond, But after that its sitting on a bench, or being shipped back for warranty work and you have no gun for weeks or months , I will pass again..

OH MY GOSH, I have had Mutants, Crickets, For Seven, Yes Seven years and the only thing I have done is adjust the triggers.. Oh adjusted the hammer spring for a little more oomph, I do not clean the barrel until my POI is off, I got a fancy pull through string thing that I have never used in three years, 

Mike

I think that you can start off considering a dreamline or a dream pup if you like bullpup

Impact is not necessarily high maintenance, but whole point of getting one really is for the added adjustability

If you just want a reliable shooter, there are plenty of cheaper options. In my opinion, the impact is really for an enthusiast.

So don't go in expecting it perform out of the box like all those youtuber's polished and tuned impacts.. But if you know what you are getting youself into, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, the tinkering is half the fun, especially when it performed better as a result of your own effort.

Like others have said the Impacts are easy to werq on and there is plenty of information out and about to help you out. That is IF your gun actually needs it. I would also second the idea that a lot of the problems people have had with these guns are self inflicted. The great majority shoot very well right out out the box. Yes, some of the o-rings may need replaced regularly like every ten thousand plus rounds or so and they are not that difficult to replace.

Not that they are perfect mine came with a flat spot on the regulator rod that had me adjusting my reg or scope every few hundred shots until I figured it out. Now I shoot paint can lids at 200 yards. I hit one lid four or five times in a row at that range a few days back. NSA and VK .25 slugs are great.

Thanks for the amazing feedback guys. I love to tweek guns so that aspect doesn't scare me too much. Bought a 30 Wildcat 18 months ago and had all sorts of issues. Came with pellet probe out of alignment and shooting in the high 700's. Then probe broke and had to replace . Defective part. Then I noticed when you loosen side screws to do most any kind of work on it then everything goes out of alignment. Chuck in FL kindly did his magic on it and left it alone after that. Bought a 30 Edgun R5 and just sold it. Boringly accurate and not many adjustments you can make. Too heavy for my liking. Sadly the IWA show was canceled so must wait a while to see what's new. May end up buying the Impact anyway.