FX Impact LDC/Moderator Options?

Neil, we are discussing options.

Easiest option I think is below (other than Neil creating one).

After seeing a few videos and pictures today, it seems what I was working on is incidentally very similar to what FX have done anyways.

Here's the easiest setup for those wanting to get rid of the extendable system. A friend with a WC and access to a good machinist would be a huge plus:

FX Wildcat Shroud (350mm) + fittings + FX Stackable mods for Wildcat (or any other mod that fits the ends of WC shroud like NC LDC or Huggett)

FX Fixed Shroud system for Impact is 28mm OD (same as WC shroud OD), and about 290mm in length. When fully screwed in, it stops just before the valve knob (as opposed to the standard 25mm OD inner shroud sitting a good 35mm further in). I suspect that the compensator used in Fixed shroud is slightly different as it would be screwed in the shroud itself. But only those in possession of that shroud can confirm the design (or may not want to confirm until it is available to public). 

Parts needed (or replicated by machinist) for WC shroud setup:
1. D8 Grubscrew m5x4
2. D9 Shroud Adapter (both WC and IM barrels have identical OD)
3. D10 Shroud (350mm, & not the 230mm listed in the Wildcat.pdf. Minimum length to clear the bottle for FX stacks to mount is 280mm shroud length)
4. D11 Muzzle M20 5.5 or 6.35 (the larger OD end with the o-ring is 11.5mm on this whereas on Impact is 7mm. Not sure yet if replacing this part would be utmost necessary as ID of the both WC and IM shrouds is identical but will test it nonetheless)
5. D12 Thread cover

If you look at Ted's IM25 pictures, the fixed shroud is 350mm in length (same as what WC25 comes with), plus FX stacks. This may just be the quietest setup for the IM25.

The only thing I am unsure of at present is the thread size on the muzzles & barrels. If they are both 1/2 UNF, I will swap over everything from my WC22 tomorrow or Sunday and post a pic of it all fitted on the IM22 barrel.

Neil - with your machining skills and knowledge, you will surely come up with LDC+shroud option that would be screw on and off without requiring any genuine FX parts such as the muzzle from WC or the one already on the Impact. On IM25, the gap between muzzle-end and barrel is just about 10mm, whereas on the IM22 the gap is longer. On WC25 muzzle, this gap is 27mm and it is a very different muzzle design.

Reactions: fe7565
"Verve"FX Wildcat Shroud (350mm) + fittings + FX Stackable mods for Wildcat (or any other mod that fits the ends of WC shroud like NC LDC or Huggett)

Hey Verve. You're thinking along the same lines as me so it's good to have someone to bounce ideas off. 

Do you have a US .22 Wildcat with the shorter shroud or the 345mm one?

Unless you have measured and know more than me, the only thing I can see as an issue is that the D11 + D12 Muzzle and end cap, screw together and then onto the threaded barrel. Which means to fit the 345mm shroud, you would need to make sure that from the tip of the valve screw cap > to the D12 end cap would have to be exactly 345mm (Unless Cutting the shroud down). But if you use the parts from the NON US version you could in theory use as long a shroud as you like as the end cap is only attached to the shroud and not the barrel. (Although the stackable's wont work with the m20 female thread)

Unless, I've misunderstood and you want to cut down the 345mm to suit the US parts, and then take advantage of the m20 MALE thread and put stackable's on the end. Which would look pretty neat if it worked.
US
http://www.fxairguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/wild-exploded-drawing-AoA.pdf
NON US
http://www.fxairguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/wild-exploded-drawing-Standard.pdf

Hi Aurora

You are right. I hadn't realised the difference in the muzzles between US and non-US wildcat models. US setup caters for the Stacks whereas non-US model does not. Non-US would require an adapter to fit these. I'm assuming that on the US model the shroud can't be removed without removing the muzzle as well?

Maybe AoA wanted to keep the US WC shortest possible. Hence it limits the US customers to Stacks being the only off-the-shelf option.

Ted's current setup is non-US for sure with that 350mm shroud.

I also think the WC FX Stacks are specifically for the US market, not found a EU seller for those yet. My setup is going to match the non-US as WC Huggett mod is readily available here for about €100 (Belita) and €120 (Standard). And if need be I can play around with different lengths of the shroud. I'm going to try the non-US 350mm shroud first on IM22 without a mod and then take it from there.

Such a long thread, and sorry if I miss and double earlier info, but I have ordered the .25 and .30 cal moderators for my Impact ( will use the .25 for my 22. Also) from Airgun Heaven in Netherland. The .30 will come with an adapter, but the 22/25 I presume will fit into the existing shroud. I hope. At this moment I do not know, and have taken my chance on this one. 
http://airgunheaven.com/en/huggett-belita-fx-impact

"NeilClague"Getting a thread pitch is very simple but you need a thread pitch gauge to do it, it is juts like taking valve clearances, you need a feeler gauge, for pitch you need a pitch gauge. For some reason it looks like they used a 1.5 pitch on yours which is coarser than the ones I have made? Now it looks like you have added a 3rd size to the end caps on the Impact, so far it looks like they have made then with 27mm x 1.25, 27mm x 1.5 and 26mm x undetermined pitch? Why different pitches on the same make and model I have no idea why any maker would do that? Neil.
I have been looking for the same info, Where did this end.
I measure it to be M26.5 x 1,5 ? and the first 3 thread revs are cut down to simulate tapered thread, but it is not tapered.
Only cut down thread, probably to make easier entry or to make room for thread seal.

Cant be M26 because also I measure the outside diameter to 26,4. And that doesnt fit M26 female
M26 male are never bigger than Ø26
And cant be M27 eighter becuse Ø26,4 is to small

FXSHOOTERThank You, this is the type of conversation I was trying to get going. I have no problem sending my gun to Neil, I would NOT send it to AOA. I would buy one like you are saying. YES, the Impact barrel is threaded 1/2×20 UNF. The sliding shroud is just not doing it for me and by the sound of the amount of inquiries for LDCs for the Impact, I am NOT alone. FX dropped the ball on that stackable moderator originally shown on initial pictures of the Impact.

The FX Impact in .177 and .22 cal still come from the factory with the telescoping shroud. The .25 and .30 cal Impacts (at least the newer units) all come from the factory with the fixed shroud. The fixed shroud is most DEFINITELY the better set up, so I can TOTALLY understand why you'd want to modify yours if you have the telescoping shroud. My .30 has the fixed shroud/moderator and it is whisper quiet.

Ok guys I finally have my hands on an Impact and have just finished making a 25 caliber fixed shroud for a customer, I will be taking note of all of the various dimensions so that I will be able to make these in 22 caliber, 25 caliber and 30 caliber, these shrouds screw on like the factory shroud and have an o-ring in the rear end cap to seal them on the barrel, all the best,Neil.

It is a one piece shroud with threads so it screws onto the barrel like the factory shroud, the front LDC is fully vented into the rear part of the shroud, I am unable to test it because the gun i have here has a 30 caliber shroud and this one is made for a 25 caliber. I was lucky and made it to fit the set up i have here which I thought was a 25 caliber, it turned out to be a 30 caliber barrel, but the dimensions also turned out to be the same so I got lucky. I thought I was going to have to build a completely new shroud for my customer. For once in my life luck was with me, lol All the best, Neil.

Hi, 
I just received my new FX Impact .30... I'd much rather have the telescoping version! Heck, I'd be happy to trade. (Seriously)

The "why" of it is that .30 cal simply isn't backyard friendly. I'm sure is is possible to make the gun quiet enough but there is still a whole lot of lead flying and it's gonna stop somewhere... In my case it is a DIY AR500 pellet trap built into a 2' thick adobe wall, effective not silent. Although with .177 it's pretty darn quiet. :)

So when using .30 I'm out in the Southern AZ desert... Noise isn't as much of a concern as much as a shorter length with just a touch of sound suppression when needed. 

Of course I might have a very different opinion if I had a telescoping shroud that was clipping pellets... However all else being equal my preference would be the telescoping version. 

Cactus

I saw the Neil Clague shroud on this thread and ordered one. It got here over the weekend and it is pretty darn good. It is baffled and vents into the barrel sleeve as far as I can tell. I have the FX fixed barrel shroud and I like Neil's design much better. It also takes down the noise level to a moderate click. On a .30 cal that's pretty darn good. Now if I can find a pellet trap that can make less noise. 

"Regarval"I'm wondering which one is quieter, Neil's or the factory fixed shroud. Im looking for one for my .30 as well.
I have both in .30. I tried adding some extra cups to the FX and while it did lower the noise level quite a bit, Neil's is quieter. For almost the same price, Neil's fixed shroud has many advantages such as baffling and one piece design that vents into the barrel sleeve. The FX design is basically a hollow tube which works but not as well as Neil's. FX's design also doesn't incorporate the barrel sleeve into the shroud.