Fx impact just arrived!! Quality control poor!!

This is the response I got from AoA:

We are not aware of any current production issues with the rifle. In fact, the last shipment was the most reliable yet. As for warranty, AOA is the warranty center. If you have any problems, you simply send it here.

Thank You,

Sales Department
Airguns of Arizona
480-461-1113
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com
On 6/29/2016 10:03 PM, Jay wrote:
Has the quality control on the new pre-assemble impact gone down. I have read that the barrel and breech tolerance are not to spec which could damage the mating surface when removed and reinstalled. I'm on a waiting list with another vendor but would have to sent it to AOA for warranty if this is true. Can you please clarify what I need to ask the vendor before they ship my gun to me.
Sent from my iPhone

Did the barrel have a burr on it from the grub screw? When you got it out did you remove the burr before trying to reinstall the barrel ? Did you check inside the receiver to see if it was smooth? Seems like everyone wants an ultra light weight gun but they want it to be bulletproof durable. The heavier the gun is the stronger you can make it. I agree that lots of the airguns today are very fragile. Simply bumping the barrel into something can sometimes throw off POI. Shrouds and LDC's are the next weak link, The extendable shroud is cool but from a durability stand point it has way too much flex and the hole in end cap is too small for the tolerance in the shroud just my 2 cents. I will put money on clipping being almost all accuracy problems. And you will never notice it with the anodizing on the cap. When you use o rings to center a shroud you also have wear to add to the mix and also temperature variances and oring variances. It is very difficult to make something extremely durable light weight and gimmicky. 

"Swing360"
"Parrots"I have to agree with the QC dropping on the impacts.

i have had couple dozen of these go through my hands here in the UK and I have had one that was very difficult to get the barrel in and out and this was returned.

most disappointed with the cheek pieces on the most recent batch, while the rest were all nice and smooth and polished, looked like these were not polished and look rough/dirty, just makes the whole gun look bad. It does not effect the performance of the gun, but you just don't expect it to have such a poor finish.

Now i'm forced to buy well finished cheek pieces to replace these or send the guns back and wait a few months for the next shipment.

jax6s5.jpg
Wow.. That's ugly! What's with that? Are all the rifles from that order in the condition pictured? Definitely not standard operating procedure from what I've seen fit and finish wise. Hope you get it squared away. I know mine would be headed right back to you if it came like that. Obviously not your fault but it sure makes it hard on your end
By the way 

My cheek pieces have also a poor finish!
(i has polished it by myself with very fine sandpaper)

And I'm not sure now but I think a rubber buffer is also missing

AZBOBCATDid the barrel have a burr on it from the grub screw? When you got it out did you remove the burr before trying to reinstall the barrel ? Did you check inside the receiver to see if it was smooth? Seems like everyone wants an ultra light weight gun but they want it to be bulletproof durable. The heavier the gun is the stronger you can make it. I agree that lots of the airguns today are very fragile. Simply bumping the barrel into something can sometimes throw off POI. Shrouds and LDC's are the next weak link, The extendable shroud is cool but from a durability stand point it has way too much flex and the hole in end cap is too small for the tolerance in the shroud just my 2 cents. I will put money on clipping being almost all accuracy problems. And you will never notice it with the anodizing on the cap. When you use o rings to center a shroud you also have wear to add to the mix and also temperature variances and oring variances. It is very difficult to make something extremely durable light weight and gimmicky.

Im not 100 percent sure what was causing the barrel to have problems fitting in the gun. I know there were metal shaving inside the set screw hole they never seemed to be surrounding the hole more so inside it. Maybe after I pulled it out they were rubbed away some it was hard to tell. Here's what I did step by step
1st
Unscrew set screw all the way out set it on the table.
2nd
Cock the gun remove the mag
3rd
Extend the shroud
4th
Grab the portion of the barrel that the telescopic shroud is connected to and pull.
5th
Pulled pulled and even pulled harder lol nothing.
6th
Get on YouTube watched Micheal pull barrel off on his POI video. It was first video that popped no specific reason for that video. I say well damn I'm doing it right now I go back to the gun.
7th
I start pulling and pulling then she comes out. ( Very aggravated at this point )
8th
Look over barrel its scratched up by set screw indention along with metal shaving inside it I cleaned it out and ran some patches threw.
9th
Go to insert barrel slides in then stops at the breech beginning I give a little force and nothing pull it out make sure there's lube on it then try again this time I push and theres resistance again then it just slides all the way back. That's when I called AOA

"Regarval"Are this rubber bumpers are from the first impact production? Mine doesn't have them, I don't even see the holes.
I don't see the rubber bumper on the FX Impact detail drawing A11 Reloading Block. 

On my Impact Reloading Block only have one rubber bumper and one empty hole also. From looking at some of Ernest Rowe's video his Impact also have one empty hole on the Block. Maybe Fx change their design on the newer production. 

"KenSkylight"
"Swing360"
"Parrots"I have to agree with the QC dropping on the impacts.

i have had couple dozen of these go through my hands here in the UK and I have had one that was very difficult to get the barrel in and out and this was returned.

most disappointed with the cheek pieces on the most recent batch, while the rest were all nice and smooth and polished, looked like these were not polished and look rough/dirty, just makes the whole gun look bad. It does not effect the performance of the gun, but you just don't expect it to have such a poor finish.

Now i'm forced to buy well finished cheek pieces to replace these or send the guns back and wait a few months for the next shipment.

jax6s5.jpg
Wow.. That's ugly! What's with that? Are all the rifles from that order in the condition pictured? Definitely not standard operating procedure from what I've seen fit and finish wise. Hope you get it squared away. I know mine would be headed right back to you if it came like that. Obviously not your fault but it sure makes it hard on your end
By the way 

My cheek pieces have also a poor finish!
(i has polished it by myself with very fine sandpaper)

And I'm not sure now but I think a rubber buffer is also missing

Sorry to see your cheek piece quality is the same. Very disappointing considering every batch before this one came with nicely polished cheek piece.

I have emailed Johan about getting mine swapped out so will see what he has to say.

Same problem here on the new batch on the breech tolerance, it's very hard to get the barrel in and then near impossible to get it back out again. So much for these Impacts taking their time due to good QC.

I have some new barrels still here so will make a video tomorrow of what the brass on the barrel looks like new and what it then looks like after just one insertion and removal.

Seems the QC on these guns is getting worse if anything and not better.

First of all I must state that I do not own an Impact .but I would think that the barrel should be free floating with the barrel riding on the o rings . A couple of things could be causing the tight fitting barrels .The o rings could be slightly over sized . When the blue was applied it could be a couple of ten thousand th's thicker .If some one that has a tight fitting barrel would mic the brass insert thickness ,thickness o ring thickness while mounted on the barrel and the receiver hole size and post the numbers .The same for a well fitting barrel.Then compare the two .Then You should be able to determine the problem .The fix may be as simple as replacing o ring with a thinner wall o ring or placing barrel in a lathe and polishing the brass insert slightly with 2000 grit Emory cloth .May be completely off base on My ideas but is a place to start looking .

I received my Impact .30 in April, after many phone calls & 7 months wait. Everything looked good at first. It is very easy to screw up this gun up if you do not read all the warnings in the manual regarding operation...there are a lot. it will require a lot of memorization now to keep from making a damaging mistake. First thing I did wrong was filling the gun to the capacity of my CF bottle; 4500 psi.(who ever heard of over 65 shots from a .30 cal PCP?); next was trying to turn the power adjusting wheel while the hammer was in cocked position....(this will damage the wheel when there is spring tension against it). I also fired it a couple times with the bolt not closed completely and-double loaded it more than once. All this after reading the booklet through several times and before I even had the first magazine emptied. Too many things to think about at the same time; for me anyway. Maybe I am just getting too old. 
Anyway, after finally getting my scope mounted, I couldn't hit the target board at 10 meters. After I cranked the scope turrets all the way to the limits it was still off an inch to the right and low. (see previous posts). That was3 months ago when I gave up and switched back to my trusty Marauder. I determined the used scope I had bought for the Impact was ok, by borrowing and trying another one, which also showed a strong tendency to shoot low and to the right. The shot grouping at 30 yards was not what I was expecting from this gun either, (about 3/4 inch at 30 yds indoors). My Marauder shoots groups half that size. I am less than impressed with this gun considering the past quality FX is known for. I have to say that I think they got in a bit over their heads on this one. the trade off for the feature-rich design appears to result in a delicate gun which is complex and not very user friendly. I bought it for the, light weight compact size, collapsible silencer, 14 shot .30 caliber magazine capacity, big 500cc carbon bottle, and reputed long range accuracy, but it has been disappointing so far. Now, after thinking about it for too long, I am ready to try calling AOA (once again), to see if they will replace the barrel, if I have to send the whole gun back and how long it will take. I have never in my life sent anything back to a dealer or manufacturer, probably because I hardly ever buy anything new; I don't like it but it appears I have little choice. Hopefully I can get a straight barrel before I die of old age or a state martial-law gets declared. 
BTW, unlike my marauder, this gun will keep on firing, when the mag is empty, in which case you will always miss; So I have to learn to count my shots now too.

If I can get the barrel exchanged, and it shoots better, I will learn to deal with the extra complexity. The finish on the cheek piece is also not great, but that is a non-issue for me, since I removed it early on, so I could get a sight picture with the medium Hawke rings that I am using. I also cut a hole in the gun case, so the barrel can stick through a couple inches....I don't need to remove the barrel from the gun now, which will prevent wear and more possible problems; also may help hold my zero point.... I cut a 2" section of round foam that slips on over the barrel tip, to hide and protect it. Also re-cut the foam inside, so It takes the gun with the big optics installed.

"steeve"If I can get the barrel exchanged, and it shoots better, I will learn to deal with the extra complexity. The finish on the cheek piece is also not great, but that is a non-issue for me, since I removed it early on, so I could get a sight picture with the medium Hawke rings that I am using. I also cut a hole in the gun case, so the barrel can stick through a couple inches....I don't need to remove the barrel from the gun now, which will prevent wear and more possible problems; also may help hold my zero point.... I cut a 2" section of round foam that slips on over the barrel tip, to hide and protect it.
Why did you not just get another case? I would not like the idea of my barrel sticking out of the case even if it is protected by a small piece of foam.

"@steeve have you tried shooting with the shroud completely off the barrel? IMO, the extendable shroud is the weakest part on the Impact that plays havoc with accuracy when it's not 100%".

I really like that feature for use in tight places like shooting from the window of my compact car for rabbits at night and for carrying in the tall brush and steep terrain on my ranch; If necessary, I will ream the hole in the shroud end cap if It develops a clipping problem. With the shroud off, it is way too loud and a fixed shroud would be too long.