• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact Issues...

Hello !
Sooooo, I haven't been active on the forum the past 3 weeks, but I was working really hard to earn the money I needed to buy the Impact, and that's what I've done yesterday ! I drove 12 hours across France, just to get the rifle ^^

I've already shot around 300 rounds through it and I have to say... it's awesome !

So this morning I went to the range, everything was fine, until this afternoon, I removed the picatinny rail/ trigger gard to have a better access to the screw that changes the 2nd stage weitght, and everything went as planned, I was just screwing out a little bit, held the bolt back, and pressed the trigger (standard de-cocking procedure) and after that, I screwed everything back in place, and that was fine, I checked multiple times if everything was working...

After that, I loaded a magazine, attached the air bottle to the gun, and went into my garden to see if the new settings were good.

And surpriiiiise, I after inserting the mag, I can't pull the bolt forward... so I removed the magazine and tried again... nope, the bolt is stuck after 1/5 of the travel, and I can still take the bolt all the way back, but it doesn't rearm the hammer all the time, I have to be firm to rearm it, if I pull the bolt back slowly, it doesn't lock the hammer back... interesting

So I went back in my house, and tried to figure out what the heck was wrong... and I can't see anything, exerted that the power adjustment wheel can't turn (like if the gun was under pressure but it isn't)

Sorry for the long post, and the not so good English... but I really need help my friends ! ^^ after that, I will make a little review and a tutorial on how to make a little cap for the filling port ;)

Just to clarify your post a little (I hope) the only adjustment you have made is to the Trigger ?

When changing the second stage of an FX trigger two things can happen - the safety does not engage properly or/and the small sear 'blade' fails to latch (work).
Large or 'gross' changes to either stage of the FX trigger should be very carefully checked afterwards - & if you have difficulty with backtracking any changes - the trigger can be imagined as a See Saw, it rocks back and forth over a central point. If you 'lighten' the 2nd stage too far you will definately lose the safety catch but that can be adjusted to suit.

An outside possibility when doing this sort of work is having a mismatch or seating problem with the stock itself - ie. the stock is fouling the trigger in some place.

Thank you BRS, I think the issue is definitely linked to the changes that I've made, so I will try to go back to the "factory settings" (I took a picture and marked the screws position), I keep you guys updated, and thank you again ! :)

UPDATE : I unscrewed the 2nd stage screw nearly all the way, and screws it back in all the way, while trying every 1/2 turns... and yeah, it changes the weight before the break, and when unscrewed, the bolt doesn't lock back (at the "normal" position) but the bolt is still locked, not all the way back, like I said, it's locked at like 1/5th of the possible travel (I don't know how to expand that :/ ) and it really feels like it's bumping onto something hard, and solid

Kinda lost, why unscrew the 2nd stage screw if its cocking and have a break???

power wheel cant be adjusted when hammer is cock

it cock but unable to release the shear / fire ------> trigger not adjusted properly, 2nd stage screw is unscrew to fare

what do you mean by lock??? jammed 1/5th???

but your other problem about bumping something hard and solid, when de cocking are you letting the hammer hit the cocking pin, its easy to bend and brake and if it did brake with a short pin remaining the cocking lever assembly will jam if cock.

on the left is a photo of a larger and harder pin, a machined set screw and a small set screw on the side to keep the pin lock after proper clearance made. on the right is a new harden MK2 OEM pin. so be extra careful to make sure the cocking handle is fully close when cock, and when de-cocking----> with constant pressure on the cocking handle when fully stop then pull trigger--->slowly close cocking handle. to keep the pin from bending over time----cock slowly at the end of the cocking stroke, you can hear the shear click inplace no need to pull cocking handle hard when it bottom out. if the pin bend to much over time if will fail to cock--that's why I installed that large hard pin.

I think the OP (Wellgun) is saying that the cocking lever is jamming at a point approx 1/5 of the way back which on earlier FX models would mean the hammer spring is not being compressed at all, therefore there is no forward force to the hammer upon the trigger 'clicking off' (that's all that happens in this case - just a light click).

Is the Impact hammer a two-part assembly as in other FX models ? (because its not unknown for the two parts to unscrew).

I dont have this model Wellgun, so am slightly 'in the dark' :)

My dad just sent his impact back for a similar problem with the gun not cocking completely. It would cock but it would not fire. You would have to pull extra hard to get the trigger to fully engage. It's real easy to double load pellets when you have this problem that's why I mentioned it. I read his post again and it still sounds like the gun is fully cocked and the bolt won't close.

I sure wish there was a way to access statistics on the ratio of no problem Impacts to problematical Impacts. We don't hear much from those shooting Impacts with no problems. ( They're out there, right? ) I really like the form factor of the guns and they could simplify the design, make them less adjustable, even cancel the barrel swapping feature ... and I'd still want one.

I'm wondering if actually solving the problems with the gun might make them too expensive? Or given all the tuning adjustments on them the Impact is like owning an Italian race car ... you pretty much have to be a mechanic yourself to keep it running?

Well, I ordered a FX Impact .25 three weeks ago. I have no idea when it will be delivered (they say estimated 8-12 weeks plus some weeks on shipping/importation bureaucracies in my country) and my chosen supplier doesn't know how many will come in .22 or .25 or .30, if all black, if silver, etc. Unbelievable! And it is not their fault. It is FX fault and lack of information! Reading your posts and this sort of problems FX Impact presented so far I am starting to wonder if I took the right decision. I can feel the disappointment of Wellgun and the current lack of available deep experience with this gun. We all depend upon you guys in this forum as the sole source of help and support. Dealers? This is something only few on this planet can count on.

With all respect to 'Wellgun' and anyone else who has had a problem with the Impact - a large factor in the reported 'issues' is down to user adjustments or "tinkering", that doesn't cover everything of course.

It's a result of 'advertizing' a gun as Fully User Adjustable (read: infinitely adjustable) - on the bright side :) one could say that it shows FX is driven by 'Engineers' not the dreaded Marketing experts.

Another plus point is that FX work to a Modular Design, many parts will be common across the FX range.

I'm sure that owners of any FX rifles who feel they have no local Information Base/Knowledge Base in their respective countries could e-mail Johan at FX HQ at any time (son of the company owner, chaps ;-) ), although this very Forum might also get a response.

I'm back ! Thanks for all there replies, I have no other choice than go back to the gunsmith who sold it to me because he's the only "official" fx gunsmith in France... so Saturday I will go back on the road, a 12 hour drive, just for this........ it kinda gets on my nerves, I've been shooting since I was 10, shot and owned some awersome guns, (PGM Ultima Ratio for exemple) and I feel like the Impact, is just not finished, it's a good gun, and I really love it ! But... there is so many "little things" that shouldn't happen on a gun that I've payed 1900€ (2150 $)

Anyway, I will keep you updated guys !

Nueces
I'm wondering if actually solving the problems with the gun might make them too expensive? Or given all the tuning adjustments on them the Impact is like owning an Italian race car ... you pretty much have to be a mechanic yourself to keep it running?

That's exactly how I feel, I've been in a gunsmith school for 1 year, it doesn't mean that I am a gunsmith... not at all! But I love guns, and I feel like the Impact is just a bit too complex, too picky on some points to be a "perfect" gun

And there is something worse !
Let's take an AR15 for exemple... pretty much every owner can take it apart very easilly, change a specific part on the bolt, and put everything back together... and everything is fine !
With the Impact on the other hand, exepted very basic maintenance, you can't take the gun apart without loosing your warranty........ and I don't really like this

"Nueces"I sure wish there was a way to access statistics on the ratio of no problem Impacts to problematical Impacts. We don't hear much from those shooting Impacts with no problems. ( They're out there, right? ) I really like the form factor of the guns and they could simplify the design, make them less adjustable, even cancel the barrel swapping feature ... and I'd still want one.

I have to believe that there are a ton of Impact owners that are enjoying their rifles without problems. I am one of them (knock on wood). I have never been one to tinker with something that is operating well. I got my Impact, put it together, and have been shooting great since. I guess the difference is that I have only adjusted the power wheel and the valve to get it to where I wanted to be regarding fps. I don't take the bottle off, adjust the trigger, or even break the rifle down for that matter. The case is great and I know people will argue that a take down rifle is meant to be taken down, but I have always tried to minimize disassembly and re-assembly. So far I am loving my Impact .25 and .30. So for those of you that are still waiting to get yours, hang in there and if you have an issue try not to get too frustrated. It can always be fixed. 

We all look forward to reading your reports on your Impact, Wellgun.

I'm much like 'Broberts' in that I do the minimum with my (quick mental mathmatics) er 8 FX rifles (plus one branded 'Logun' which was bought 'in parts' - must get round to it!).

I have adjusted the triggers though (and early-on ran into the diffs. I described in this thread) and I have added various FX optional extras to some.

A 'report' about your Gunsmithing Training would also be very interesting, Wellgun ;-)

Been meaning to adjust the trigger but will hold off for a bit longer until Wellgun has fixed this. Factory set trigger on my Wildcat however is way lighter.

As for Impact not 'finished', I'd have to agree. Worst thing, at present, about mine is the barrel locking nut coming loose after 8-9 shots and then come the flyers - maybe loctite 221/222 as a temp fix. I guess first year production issues are to be expected in a new design rifle.

ok guys, so i woke up at 3am, drove 7 hours straight, and finally arrived to the gunsmith that i wanted to see ^^ and he found out why my gun was jammed, the tollerences on the "bolt stop" (where the bolt hits the frame) were too high, meaning that the bolt couldnt go back enough to re arm the "hammer" ... and i was really surprised by this, i mean, it might happen on a 100$ gun, but not on a 2000$ fx ! Anyway, that's my luck :) but he immediatly called the FX support center, and they told him to replace the gun... does it means that they were aware of this issue ? anyway, i got a brand new impact, so i will do my honnest review in a few days, i just have to get some nice groups first ^^ 

ps : thank you all for all the support and answers ! :)

I've got a couple of comments about a few posts. Being one of the very first Impact owners in the world, I've had a lot of time with this rifle. I've made all of the adjustments covered under the warranty and some that are not covered (voiding the warranty) as well as experiments that would surely void the warranty as well. However, being a novice "tuner" I have not dismantled the inner workings even remotely as much as Sniperlabyo has.

Wellgun - It's great to see the support you've gotten from the members of this forum and I'm happy to hear you have a new Impact to enjoy! "so I will try to go back to the “factory settings” (I took a picture and marked the screws position)," I'm REALLY happy to hear that you did this! I recommend starting a log book, with factory settings, to all Impact owners that plan on making adjustments. 

Nieces - I'm one of those ones that hasn't had any problems (other than those I've caused myself). I think there are a lot of Impact out there that are functioning just fine. 

BRS - "a large factor in the reported ‘issues’ is down to user adjustments or “tinkering”, that doesn’t cover everything of course." I agree that this is definitely a factor with some the issues being reported. I'm not necessarily referring to Wellgun and his issue either. Also that's some good advise, suggesting contacting FX for some help.

Verve - search around AGN for other impact threads. I know I've seen one that addresses this issue. Also, take a close look at how your thumbscrew is engaging your barrel. It might give you some information as to how to solve you issue. 

As far as trigger adjusting goes. The FX Impact Manual is a great place to reference instructional material for making adjustments to the rifle. It is important to follow the instructions as prescribed by the manufacturer. In some cases (regulator in particular), making adjustments out of sequence can possibly result in damages.
Happy Shooting!
Tom