• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact is out. Now considering Daystate Wolverine 303 or RAW 30

AOA has inspected my Impact and fixed many of the issues I reported. One of my major issues, the scope rail to barrel alignment issue, could not be fixed. Even though they tried various fixed ring combinations and new scopes and new barrels, they couldn't resolve this. End result is the gun will always hit inches below the aim point unless I buy FX's No Limit rings to compensate for their design / manufacturing defect.

So, I'm in the market for a new .30 rifle for hunting and 100M shooting. After my experience with the Impact bull pup, bull pups are out. With the issues popping up with Impacts and Wildcats, the FX Boss is out. So I'm thinking Wolverine 303 or RAW 30. Does anyone here own both and have a comparison they could share? I'm leaning toward the RAW as I don't see Wolverine 303's popping up in the 100M bench rest competitions like I see the RAWs. The Wolverine does have about 30ft/lbs more power though which is a plus for hunting.

Sharoff: I understand you've have and share all your issues (pros and cons) with the Impact and we thank you for all your experience. I do have a question because of how you phrase the scope rail to barrel alignment issue as a manufacturing defect, are you saying all Impact owners have this issue or are you saying only your gun had this issue? I know a lot of people in general pick up FX no limit rings because Ted and many others have push there quality and functionality very hard in the past, but i am SURE not all impact owner have them.

Ginuwine1969,

I am not saying all Impact owners have this issue as I can only speak for my gun. I do wonder to myself though about how a CNC product can have some that are correct and some that can't be fixed by AoA. Since AoA has replaced barrels on mine, I have to assume the receiver is the issue. That would mean needing basically a new Impact to fix the issue. With the continued changes to the platform (like the now fixed position shrouds) I choose to get off the boat now vs getting a new Impact and starting over.

Those are some really nice guns. Have heard great things about both. Having turned my .25 Mrod into a .30 which is a TJ barrel and super accurate, having a WARP and seeing the price range your looking at I think a Flex should be considered unless you want a traditional rifle of course.

Now choosing out of those 2 guns my choice would be RAW. Daystate looks good but then your stuck with shooting only daystate pellets and with the RAW you can shoot JSBs in 2 different weights and polymags. That is if it's a true .30 cal like my TJ barrel. Also seeing the RAW is regulated that's a plus for consistency at long range. Unless you want more power then that might not be a great thing. My Mrod is tuned to 69fpe with JSB 44gr and is still a hammer. Can crank it up to 85-90fpe if wanted but shot count is more important and ~70fpe is still a lot of power.

Marksman3006,

Thanks, but any RAW 30 currently at Joes or anywhere else isn't going to have the correct .30 barrel or tune. I've talked with Martin and it would be $400 to have him do the barrel swap and re tune for that barrel down the road.

Tony.R,

I don't think a bullpup design (lighter gun and shorter barrel) lends it self to long distance bench shooting. I'm also a fan of nice wood stocks with adjustable cheek rests which don't seem to show up on .30 bull pups. 

Dairyboy,

Yep, I'm a fan of the regulator in the RAW too. About the only advantage I see is power on the Wolverine, and I'm trying to talk myself into not needing that.

" If the RAW can come with the TJs hands down should be your choice! There that good "
I do not feel that is correct information " that good", not in .30, sure you could get a good one and the more you know about flawless prep the better the chance of success.

RAW uses a proprietary barrel in .30 ( and it certainly is not a TJ's ). 

Sharroff, I do not know the daystate model your looking at. I do know the .30 RAW ( LRT stock, CF bottle, long mod ) love it. Custom barrel that shoot JSB flawlessly , never tried any other ammo. If you look around the world the .30 RAW is doing alright indeed. As far as hunting unless truly large game the RAW is fine, many many deridating Whitetail Deer taken at range with a good shooter behind the trigger. 

I guess there's now chance you could fine a way to handle both? It sure would be worth a pretty good drive to me to test em out if at all possible.

John

spysir " If the RAW can come with the TJs hands down should be your choice! There that good "
I do not feel that is correct information " that good", not in .30, sure you could get a good one and the more you know about flawless prep the better the chance of success.

Have you heard of a bad one? I'm just curious is all cause I know quite a few people with them and all have had great accuracy with them. It was designed by rsterne and SeanMP specifically for JSBs. Also I have 4 different TJs (Marmot Militia .22, .25 ACP 1:14 twist, .25 1:22 twist and .30 1:26 twist and all shoot sub MOA) and never had a problem with any of them nor heard of anyone with problems. And all I've done is clean and shoot haven't even polished any of them yet. Not sure why I got called out for saying that and not ajshoots. Unless you've had problems with the .30 TJ I wouldn't knock on it.

If RAW has a custom barrel that shoots JSBs great then that's awesome still would be my choice as more pellet choices.

Turboken77
"ajshoots"If you get the RAW, go with the 1:26 twist TJ barrel. It won the 2014 EBR and is one of if not the best .30 barrels available. It was designed specifically for the 44gr JSB.
Raw did not win extreme benchrest in 2014 mac 1 lone ranger did in 30 cal i was there!

I am fully aware that Tim won with his .30 Lone Ranger in 2014. I was only saying to put that TJ barrel on a RAW. I have those same TJ .30 barrels and know first hand how good they are.