FX Impact Durability

Greetings shooters,

I am sure this has been discussed but I am having a very difficult time finding information.

To start, I am above all a hunter. I like to tweak and tune my guns to their best accuracy and performance. I love the design and build of the Impact mk2.

My big question is how durable is it? I dont mind doing maintenance and repairs if needed on occasion, but not every hunt like my Gauntlet. I see everyone run away and get their gun put up if it rains or is nasty... are they that fragile? If it got knocked around during a fall or one of those events that do happen while hunting is it going to break?

Thanks for any information.

They are NOT Edguns. NEVER EVER EVER EVER DROP IT!!! There are too many things that can throw your accuracy off to manhandle-abuse an Impact. You need a Russian or Ukarane built gun if you gonna abuse it. Maybe a non electronic Daystate like Huntsman Regal XL and Reviere or Bantam series or Air Arms or Benjamin Discovery or Maximus even a Hatsan Flash or Vectis or AT4410. I would recommend a RAW but they are too heavy to be carrying around hinting but definitely built very tough and robust.

I own 5 Impacts and they are the most babied guns I own because the ones that shoot perfect and dont leak are so perfect I don't want anything to happen.

You'll get varying answers to your question but heres a thread of impact owners and whether they're happy with them. No one would be happy with a gun that isn't durable and reliable. 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/how-many-impact-owners-here/

Oh, I know. Forums are not the place for the faint of heart or thin skinned LOL. I appreciate the link. I know people love them, hate them, or love to hate them.

They are NOT Edguns. NEVER EVER EVER EVER DROP IT!!! There are too many things that can throw your accuracy off to manhandle-abuse an Impact. You need a Russian or Ukarane built gun if you gonna abuse it. Maybe a non electronic Daystate like Huntsman Regal XL and Reviere or Bantam series or Air Arms or Benjamin Discovery or Maximus even a Hatsan Flash or Vectis or AT4410. I would recommend a RAW but they are too heavy to be carrying around hinting but definitely built very tough and robust.

I own 5 Impacts and they are the most babied guns I own because the ones that shoot perfect and dont leak are so perfect I don't want anything to happen.

Thanks for the reply. Abuse may be a strong word, but bad things happen when we don't want them too.

Now, the ones you have that leak, are they not repairable?

I have somewhere around 10K pellets and slugs through my MK1 received 4/18 thus far. Other than the QC problem with a bad regulator rod, from the factory, the only problems I have had, not self imposed, are that the gauges got loose and started to leak. I tightened them 1/8th turn and all was good. I have had this thing torn down many times for upgrades. But I am still running all of the original O-rings except for those that I chose to replace and one that I damaged, when tearing it apart for the third time, so had to replace.

I guess, one question to ask is, what type of hunter / hunting will you use the Impact? Sounds like you are looking for a stalking gun that you will be hiking / walking with and maybe want packable.

I have EdGun Leshiy 2, Taipan Veteran Compact and Impact MK Compact. The Impact as @Odoyle says is not a gun you want to drop. The one for sure I would “drag through the mud” is the Taipan.

I'm an abusive Impact mk2 owner I keep mine leaned up against the wall in the Garage I've compacted six pellets in the barrel and dug them out with a coat hanger I've dropped it and put the power plenum in by myself in the basement following the instructions of an Ernest Rowe video I put dishwashing liquid on the barrel liner to help the orings slide in and caused electrolysis now the liner and the outer barrel are rusted together i had to pound the liner with a mallet against the hangar stuck on my vise and scored the hell out of my stx liner and wedged it in the stainless piece that the transfer port screws into while getting those six compacted pellets out and its sub moa @ 80 yards as is right now I would grab that gun leaning on the wall with a scratched up liner fused to the outer barrel full of rust andtake a head shot on a squirrel @ 80 yards with confidence. Now keep in mind I have a n IOR RECON that costs more than the Impact sitting on top of it . A lot of guys complaining about poi shift have cheap scopes and blame it on the gun. Buy a good gun buy a better scope.

I'm an abusive Impact mk2 owner I keep mine leaned up against the wall in the Garage I've compacted six pellets in the barrel and dug them out with a coat hanger I've dropped it and put the power plenum in by myself in the basement following the instructions of an Ernest Rowe video I put dishwashing liquid on the barrel liner to help the orings slide in and caused electrolysis now the liner and the outer barrel are rusted together i had to pound the liner with a mallet against the hangar stuck on my vise and scored the hell out of my stx liner and wedged it in the stainless piece that the transfer port screws into while getting those six compacted pellets out and its sub moa @ 80 yards as is right now I would grab that gun leaning on the wall with a scratched up liner fused to the outer barrel full of rust andtake a head shot on a squirrel @ 80 yards with confidence. Now keep in mind I have a n IOR RECON that costs more than the Impact sitting on top of it . A lot of guys complaining about poi shift have cheap scopes and blame it on the gun. Buy a good gun buy a better scope.

That makes taking the scope off and driving over it in grass look like nothing haha.

^^^^^^^^^^WHAT HE SAID!^^^^^^^^^^^

if you going to bump it, drop it, rain, dirt, grab by the barrel, throw it around and run it over with your truck......edgun matador only! 

When I first got started into airgunning, the fx impact seemed like the gun I wanted to do everything with (hunting, plinking), and I too buy a gun with the intentions of it hunting first. So when I received my impact, needless to say as many others have mentioned, it's just not a gun I would haul around in the field. One misstep or drop and I'm going to feel paranoid about what might have happened inside. I then purchased a wildcat and have been using that as my go-to for day hunts. The impact now is my range gun, but mostly a garage queen.

I have hunted with my impact with good success, I’m careful in general with it and no rain for me anyways. Because it’s a bullpup I had no problem lugging it around with a single point sling. 

I say edgun matador only for what OP has described. It’s the only gun demonstrated no POI shift after it get ran over by a SUV! Without the scope of course. 

Get your coffee...or brewsky...

Well...while hunting with my brother with his semi-auto .22 PB, he dropped the PB in a sandy puddle of water down south. What a mess it was to get that gun to shoot again. I wouldn't recommend dropping the Impact in a puddle of sandy water.

That said, I purchased a used MKII off of here about six months ago (thanks AGN). Since then I have installed a PP kit and a slug kit in it. Today I rebuilt the AMP regulator. I have had this gun apart about five or six times now trying hybrid valve mods and different things, just to see what this thing can really do. It's my first experience with an FX product.

I have been begging this thing to leak through all of this abuse so I can replace the rest of the O-rings so I know where I stand with them all, but no leaks as of yet with anything, just some reg creep that wasn't there when I first got the gun. That was caused by me cranking on the reg adjustment a lot checking this baby out with a good bit of age on the reg O-rings. I have been to this rodeo before with other guns, too.

I just checked the reg for any creep just now after about five hours of sitting. She's dead on where I left it. I mention this because this is the first regulated gun I have had that I can count on the first shot with for hunting. When I first got this used gun, I checked it every morning for any first shot of the day droop in velocity. It was spot on like it didn't even have a reg. This gave me total confidence that I could hunt with this regulated one, finally.

It's a little fragile with the all aluminum build. It's not built like an army tank like my simpleminded Marauders are, but it's lighter, more compact and shorter with a much longer barrel (for power) with its innovative design, even when adding on an 8-inch Shogun silencer, and more powerful than most any that try and compete with it. I'm pushing 70 FPE in .25 cal and 100 FPE in .30 cal. It'll do a just little more than that. This brings up another plus. You can change calibers in mere minutes, and turn a dial to adjust power really quick externally for the swap.

This gun is also the most accurate and consistent I've ever seen. You just can't miss. The accuracy is only limited to your shooting abilities. Give it its favorite slugs and man O man this thing is something. The best part of figuring that out is the external adjustments, including valve dwell. I don't know of any other gun that can do this. A major plus for a tuner/tinkerer. No more "that's the valve spring tension you have, so live with it". I cast my own slugs and pellets, so having all of these features is a must really.

Anyways, it's not perfect. I had some trouble with the innovative 28-shot magazine feeding slugs, but a $20 aftermarket insert took care of those woes. Pellets no issues.

I like the gun. It's not friendly to left-handers like myself, but with the innovative forward cocking that is so easy on cocking force requirements, I actually like it this way for speed shooting fun. I could switch it to a lefty with aftermarket offerings, but don't really need to.

Some haters have referred to this gun as a Lego set. I can see why they would crap on another mans gun like that not ever having one. It kinda is the way you put it together, but it has a solid rail all the way across it that ties it all together in the end. Just like my Air Arms .357 Slayer build is, and you wont find a better built gun out there than that gun. Ask anyone.

If you are just worried about it being tough enough for all that you can think of to abuse it with, you'd better look at some of the tank builds out there instead. If you are a sensible fella with some common sense and can appreciate some really needed innovations in air gunning for a tinkerer, then take a second look at the Impact II. It will be hard to beat overall in that regard.

Happy hunting!

Reactions: AirGunShooter

next time ill put up a vid of me swinging it around by the barrel and then shoot again no poi shift on this gun

https://youtu.be/mXOFGM-EVpc

Ever watch American Dad when Roger faints over and over watching the family die in Oregon trail? LOL that is all I can picture the safe queen owners doing while reading this. While I am not, as a rule, this hard on my equipment.... i can relate to the guy who fell and banged his into a pallet stack.

Thanks for the story... made my morning

Link says "This Video Is Private" but i appreciate the sentiment