FX Impact Dual Stage Tuning Regulator by Huma-Air

What’s even more funny is that’s the reg that Huma originally had for the Kral and other metric bottle guns. It’s been out of stock forever, trust me. I wanted one for a Kral project I built for my brother-in-law. Now magically, just like the power plenum craze, the dual reg craze brought that reg back to life now that it’s repurposed for the Impact. Crazy.

I tried this on my .22 Red Wolf HP (Bleu) for a couple of months, Huma bottle reg. with an Altaros plenum. I even shot the TexTreme Benchrest Event in October with it. There was no advantage, so I removed it...

Although, John Bagakis won the 2020 CA State FT Hunter Class Championship with the Huma bottle reg. on his standard Red Wolf .177

The Huma Dual stage regulator is a good idea but looks like you’ll have to degas the whole bottle to lower the regulator pressure. If they change the design and allow you to still remove the bottle while under pressure it would be nice. I also won’t mind if they made the regulator a little shorter.

Good points. Are you saying the bottle must be degassed before it can be removed from the gun? Just confirming. I was seriously considering buying one, but I probably will not if the bottle cannot be removed without depressurizing first it.

I'm not positive but the regulator might need the length it has (or more?) because I think there needs to be somewhat of a "plenum"/volume between the two regulators. I don't think a tiny volume feeding the main plenum would be ideal, especially in high power applications. Earlier this morning I sent Huma an email asking how much volume will there be between the two regs, because I am concerned there might not be enough (given the overall length of the reg). However, my understanding is that the larger, external regs flow faster than tiny internal regs, so the seemingly small volume between the two regs might be plenty adequate in this case.

Would love to the mod! But dont want tk mess with changings parts to make it work. Hope fx comes out with a right size adapter soon.

^This also. Per Huma webpage, "The regulator can be fitted easy with just a small modifcation to be done to the valve of the pressure bottle." I would like to know the details of the modification. Might be worth waiting to see if FX releases something of their own.

What is your reg pressure set to? With a .30 cal, 46.5 grain pellet I’m figuring you’re up around 160 bar? The delta pressure between the bottle and plenum is much less so shouldn’t see large ES with that tune. I have the Impact MKll .25 cal with 25.4 grain pellet shooting at 930fps with a reg pressure of 110 bar. With the delta-p at 140 bar it has a fairly large ES going from 250-110 bar. So the validity of whether the two reg setup is better will mostly be determined by your preferred rifle tuning and balance between accuracy and shot count.

Really does it need it?

About two months back I installed the power plenum in my ole .30 cal Impact X .

First shot string to test function. It would only screw up this rifle....lol

After 46.5gr NOE 30cal Pellet. 97.78 FPE avg.
Shot count: 10
Low: 970
Hi: 974
Avg: 973
Spread: 4
STD Dev: 1.4

Holy shot string Batman!!!! That is unbelievably good!! 

Its very funny how an external regulator became dual stage regulator after maverick 2 regulators …

+1 Ha! Good point, and totally true. They have been available for well over a year. In fact, I tried one on my .22 DS RW HP (Bleu) last year, but decided there were no benefits... One thing they forget to mention is that an additional plenum is also required, Altaros makes a small-ish one, about 14cc.

Would love to the mod! But dont want tk mess with changings parts to make it work. Hope fx comes out with a right size adapter soon.

^This also. Per Huma webpage, "The regulator can be fitted easy with just a small modifcation to be done to the valve of the pressure bottle." I would like to know the details of the modification. Might be worth waiting to see if FX releases something of their own.

download.png
View attachment FX Impact Dual Stage Regulator 11-12.1610579306.pdf

Attached is PDF from the Huma site showing how to install the Dual stage regulator. The FX bottle valve has to be significantly modified IMHO.