FX FX Impact, do you tighten the barrel holder screws, FX suggest otherwise

In the following pic from the literature of Impact, it has been advised that barrel holder should not be tightened if tensioner is not used and it should be tightened for bigger calibers.

What pros and cons you feel while shooting Impact with tightened barrel holder ?

Screenshot_20240105_234618.jpg

I understand that 20in/lb is due to tge FX barrel system so that the barrel shell could not be squeezed.

What if someone uses solid barrel like LW etc. ?

with a solid barrel just tighten until the bolt snaps, then back it out 1/8 turn so you could have prevented that ;)

What do you want to achieve with tightening it further? As soon as the clamp properly engages it doesn't add any extra support anymore to tighten it further unless you start using the barrel tensioner assy. If you use that then tighten the bolts such that the tensioning system can't pull the barrel out of it's seat. I have my barrel holder tightened at 2.5 - 3 Nm I think and the barrel nut at 10 Nm by heart.

I understand that 20in/lb is due to tge FX barrel system so that the barrel shell could not be squeezed.

What if someone uses solid barrel like LW etc. ?
I’ve been using barrel clamps on my impacts before FX even had them. You know the ones I’m talking about. On my solid steel barrels and my multiple tube FX barrels I do the same thing. Slide the barrel in, slowly tighten the screw until the barrel won’t slide anymore. Put a peen mark on the screw and one on the holder and that’s where I tighten them to from then on. I’m not trying trying to strangle or resize my barrel with a clamp, just trick the gun into thinking it has a shorter barrel on it. And 80 inch pounds of tension? That’s nuts. All my guns, even other brands, real barrels or FX, they all like about a quarter of that +or-.

Reactions: mubhaur
......... And 80 inch pounds of tension? That’s nuts. All my guns, even other brands, real barrels or FX, they all like about a quarter of that +or-.
Actually 80 in-lbs is quite reasonable......
If I hand tighten the shroud... it is very difficult to remove compared to 80 in-lbs by torque wrench!
Also I have added a second set screw to firmly secure the barrel.
Threading.jpg

Also I machined a groove into the steel barrel extension.. To insure the barrel will not go anywhere...
800mm%20barrel%20groove.jpg

Reactions: mubhaur
I did some testing on various levels of tightness of the barrel holder.

To me increasing and decreasing the tightness of barrel holder changes the barrel harmonis and can be used as an additional tuning device.

With tight barrel holder, my gun becomes difficult to shoot accurately. Similarly unscrewing the screws also change the behaviour of the gun.

There are some points in between where the gun becomes easy to shoot accurately. It becomes very forgiving at certain tension levels.

At good tension level, the span of sweet spot of fps also become larger.

Bhaur