• The Airgun Nation App is ready for iOS users! It should be available for Android users any minute! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

FX Impact Bottle Damage

Hello AGN!

Finally picked up my dream gun, an FX Impact. I bought it secondhand through the classifieds as that was what I could afford. Though I haven't shot it yet, I love it already and absolutely can't wait!

However, I did notice that there is a mark on the bottle that looks a little concerning. I have no idea what the damage tolerance to these however as this is my first bottle gun, so looking for some input on whether I should be concerned. Maybe you'll all tell me you all have similar or worse on your bottles and this is nothing :)

I just want to make sure i'm going about this in a safe manner, seeing that i'm effectively holding on to a 3500psi "bomb".

Pictures below. Note that it looks like you can see the aluminum below if you zoom in. 

I showed the seller and they informed me it's been there for awhile and I 100% believe them, so that brings me some confidence. Is there such thing as getting these small bottles hydro'd, or some similar test so I can feel comfortable with it? 

Thank you!

1589503691_11381326115ebde6cb5882c1.35087275.jpg
1589503692_13348071315ebde6cc13f333.67015685.jpg

First they have burst discs. Second they’ve filled SCBA cylinders to 18Kpsi and it literally pushes the hardened resin out of the carbon fiber. 
I think there’s little need to worry but I myself am scared to death of HPA and I am an Alkin Dealer. I respect it.

HPA starts at 150psi. A tractor tire blew while driver was filling from compressor on tractor. I don’t know if his gauge was bad but the tire certainly was. When it let go the belted radial flap pushed his face in 2” killing him instantly. They normally take 80-90psi. 
If it bothers you get a new one. I myself would be highly upset if that wasn’t disclosed before sale; but again I use Luxfer 3600SWP bottles at 3K from 2011 with no worries at all. 

I wouldn't use that one, even if the chances are 99 of 100 that it will be no harm, I would have exchanged it. I cant live with damage on bottles and tubes.

On a steel or aluminum surface you can see if it is just a scratch and live with that, but with a layer of carbon fiber that is suppose to help holding pressure inside the aluminum bottle, to me a scratch that goes beyond the the fibers and expose the aluminum under is a big NO. Think of it as a nylon rope that is under tension, and you start cutting it from side with a razor or other sharp tool, would you be safe using that rope to climb with? 

If you want an eye opener go to the local fire depardtment and look at a well used bottle. You won't worry anymore, unless the scarf goes into the fiber wrap I wouldn't and don't.

I agree. It just looks like a chip in the clear-cote to me. If you want to be sure, you won't get any answers over the phone. Any place that does hydro testing will be able to give you an answer. If they deem it to be unserviceable, they won't do the hydro test, and they will give it back to you with a hole drilled in it or cut in half.