• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact Bench Shooters What Rear Bag Are You Using?

I don't think the current configuration of the Impact was designed for benchrest shooting. But that doesn't mean it can't be used for benchrest. The Impact placed 12th & 13th in Pro Class at the EBR 2015.
http://www.extremebenchrest.com/2015-extreme-benchrest-match-results/

For the front I made a flat benchrest platform that attached to the picatinny rail.

In the rear I used a large (tall) Protektor leather rabbit eat bag. Notice I had to add a 1'' piece of wood underneath to make it even taller. Which wouldn't have been necessary if I had made the front rest lower. For the rear rest I spread apart the rabbit ears, inserted the stock, then squeezed the ears around the stock.

Sam while this in not an FX Impact it is sort of the same configuration problem in that you need a high rear bag. This works very well for me and I don't see why you could not shoot off a bi-pod in the front and the adjustable rest in the rear. It looks like on the Impact there is room for the rear rest bag area to fit under rear tube area. Bill

"Nueces"According to Mat Dubber and just looking at how the gun is configured ... the Impact is in no way a bench shooter's gun. JMO
Agreed. Impact has a design induced 'flex' when using a bipod only (with any kind of weight transfer) for paper punching. Nonetheless it is a fantastic engineered machine that will cater for the needs of many. Out of the box, it is only and purely a hunting rifle. If one enjoys small groups on paper more frequently than hunting, this is definitely not the one to buy from the FX range.

Good ideas here. Michael's design is the closest to one I've been working on. Pics to follow when complete.

Don't forget, bi pods on hard surface benches will most likely cause bounce. Bull pups and light weight guns like fx are much harder to shoot off a bench, easier to induce "shooters bad habits" during the firing sequence. But if it is well supported and the shooter does their part, understands there particular rifles likes and dislikes (every gun is different) then you should be just fine. JMHO

"Nappyman"Don't forget, bi pods on hard surface benches will most likely cause bounce. Bull pups and light weight guns like fx are much harder to shoot off a bench, easier to induce "shooters bad habits" during the firing sequence. But if it is well supported and the shooter does their part, understands there particular rifles likes and dislikes (every gun is different) then you should be just fine. JMHO
I agree Nappyman the more you can allow for free recoil the less jump or bounce is likely to happen. Bill