FX Impact barrel support concept

Just having a play with some ideas for an additional support for my 700mm barrel....

Im no machinist, its a bit clunky looking and im sure someone could come up with a more discreet 3D printed option, but this would work for others who may be interested and have better equipment/ more skill to improve apon the concept.... especially with the new 800mm barrel on the horizon 😲

I appreciate some will think its not nessecary, so just to say please be gentle with me....its just an idea and I had fun making it👍

1583495116_15592189975e6237ccbb69a1.22166524.jpg

Reactions: heavy-impact
Great idea mate. I reckon the STX barrels are a bit too whippy in general. Especially the longer ones. I actually thought a while ago that a picatinny rail mounted extension would work well too. Either off the top if you mount the front scope rings back a bit or off both side pic rails. Might work even better if you lose the shroud and lock straight to the barrel and just rely on the moderator for being quiet. Less parts the better I reckon.

Don't let any negative comments get to ya. Just because someone doesn't feel the need to change something, doesn't mean its not a good idea, or just plain fun. 

James. 

Tiesiog žaisime su idėjomis, kaip gauti papildomą paramą mano 700 mm barelį ...

Aš nesu mašinistas, jis atrodo šiek tiek gremėzdiškas ir įsitikinęs, kad kas nors galėtų sugalvoti diskretiškesnę 3D spausdinimo parinktį, tačiau tai pasitarnaus kitiems, kurie gali būti suinteresuoti ir turintys geresnę įrangą / daugiau įgūdžių tobulinti aponinę koncepciją. ypač su horizonte esančia naująja 800 mm statinė
1f632.svg

I appreciate some will think its not nessecary, so just to say please be gentle with me....its just an idea and I had fun making it
1f44d.svg

What result do you think you will get with this concept? In your place I would think about the barrel tension.

Tiesiog žaisime su idėjomis, kaip gauti papildomą paramą mano 700 mm barelį ...

Aš nesu mašinistas, jis atrodo šiek tiek gremėzdiškas ir įsitikinęs, kad kas nors galėtų sugalvoti diskretiškesnę 3D spausdinimo parinktį, tačiau tai pasitarnaus kitiems, kurie gali būti suinteresuoti ir turintys geresnę įrangą / daugiau įgūdžių tobulinti aponinę koncepciją. ypač su horizonte esančia naująja 800 mm statinė
1f632.svg

I appreciate some will think its not nessecary, so just to say please be gentle with me....its just an idea and I had fun making it
1f44d.svg

What result do you think you will get with this concept? In your place I would think about the barrel tension.

I think I will get a supported barrel.

Im not suggesting it will aid accuraccy as plenty of people have proven it shoots incredibly well without one. I just dont like the flex in the 700mm.....

There is an oring in the part that the barrel goes through (as there is in 2 other positions along the barrel) so unless im missing something I dont think it will induce any additional tension? 

I guess it will mute the harmonics a little too....

Any harmonics would be mostly muted by the barrel liner o-rings anyway. FX likes to refer to this as a free floating barrel but it is not.

There is no way to get tension on the barrel since the retaining nut has the liner in compression. The barrel liner would have to be held with a threaded collet at each end to get tension on the liner.

I'm just sharing ideas so please don't read my comments as negative in any way.

Heavy,

Thanks for your comments, didnt come across as negative 👍

Im not sure why this idea is being viewed differently to any other barrel band that is supplied fitted to production guns (mounted via the cylinder as as opposed to a rod) 

The principal is the same, allow for expansion of materials, but limit movement of the barrel.

Either way When K&L start making them out of titanium and billet alloy im sure everyone will want one 😂 (maybe wishfull thinking, but just in case....you saw it here first 🤣)

Are you getting better accuracy? Did you have POI shifting?

To be honest im not a target shooter (apart from after changing parts/ tuning of course) and only hunt out to 80/90 yards. I doubt it will aid accuracy ( if it does it would have to be very marginal and would take a better marksman than me to notice!)

Im not having any accuracy issues (that are the guns fault), like I said in my first post, was just having a play on my lathe and like the idea of supporting my barrel a bit better....👍

I put a Dfl Emperor on my 700mm impact once and it shifted the poi from zero to below the bottom of my 12" target at 50 yds. So more than 6 inches. I like using the FX empty can suppressor with two center sections and 7 3d printed cone baffles. It's light and far quieter than any other I've tried. Makes my 132 fpe impact sound like a .22 until the slug hits meat and then it's loud.

1583530774_11435340815e62c316dac5d2.06531776.jpg

Not a good concept.

It is best to have a free floating barrel.

Impacts do not have free floating barrels by any stretch of the imagination. They have a barrel liner supported by o-rings inside steel a tube which is also supported by o-rings near it's center while the liner is under compression by the retainer nut with a shroud and suppressor attached to that.

A free floating barrel is attached to a receiver only and nothing else touches it.