• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact barrel support concept

Not a good concept.

It is best to have a free floating barrel.

Impacts do not have free floating barrels by any stretch of the imagination. They have a barrel liner supported by o-rings inside steel a tube which is also supported by o-rings near it's center while the liner is under compression by the retainer nut with a shroud and suppressor attached to that.

A free floating barrel is attached to a receiver only and nothing else touches it.

Exactly what i am saying.

If Impact barrel were floating it would be more and more accurate i think.

Maybe i am wrong....who knows.

Not a good concept.

It is best to have a free floating barrel.

Dont mince your words now GQ....just say it as it is 😂 LOL.

Just to clear things up it is my belief (and experience from a badly fitted stock on my Tikka .243) that-

It is only 'best' to have a free floating barrel when having a fixed barrel will cause a problem where it is likley that barrel heating/ and or enviromental changes can cause the barrel or forend to expand/ retract/ create unwanted contact against each other that results in an unwanted POI shift.

This is of course possible on an airgun with a wooden/ laminate/ even composit stock, but not on an Impact.

The one place where you may potentially see materials contracting against each other on the Impact is inside the barrel/ shroud (note- my crazy, off the wall, revolutionary, brand new invention- that I shall call 'a barrel band' 😁 has an intergrated 28mm oring for the barrel support allowing for expansion)

As Heavy has pointed out, FX have already put different materials/ alloys together and then put them under tension no less... which should possibly be of greater concern.....

As pointed out by Mercado, in reality, for 99% of shooters a free floating barrel on an airgun doesnt make it more accurate.

GQ- I generally only hunt, so for me a vunerable free floating barrel has disadvantages compared to a correctly supported barrel 😋

If it does what is intended to give more strength to the barrel I think is great..crickets n taipans dont have a floating barrel..n who could say they are less acurate than a floating barrel airgun..

Thanks Mercado, a positive response!

Due to corvid 9, and also mixed feedback 😁, ive decided to halt mass production for now....but if FX buy up my design for use on their 800mm barrel, ill make sure they send you one (assuming you have an Impact!).... free of charge 👍🤣

As Heavy has pointed out, FX have already put different materials/ alloys together and then put them under tension no less... which should possibly be of greater concern.....

The liner is under compression... tension would be a good thing since it dampens vibration. Compression is bad because it amplifies vibration.

The liner is under compression... tension would be a good thing since it dampens vibration. Compression is bad because it amplifies vibration.

Ok, in that case the barrel/ sleeve must be under tension as it carries the threads/ is the opposing force against the liner....🤔

Either way you have different thickness materials, id assume made from different alloys, under opposing forces that in theory will expand/contract at different rates to each other ....

Probably negligible, but will surely have more effect on accuracy than a shroud passing through an oring....

I kinda tried the same thing. After converting my 600mm 25 to a 700mm with plans for an extension I found here I machined a tube to cover the now exposed barrel tube. I o-ringed the id and the ends and put it in a slight compression between the trigger block and the end of the barrel cover. Not enough to overcome the set screw at the back, but hopefully enough to help with the poi change.
1585662803_14785805635e834b537e8615.16349601.jpg
1585662803_15230117755e834b5397f809.27313643.jpg
1585662803_8554374305e834b53ae04a0.97399576.jpg

Reactions: AirSupply