• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact barrel rigidity mod

Firstly this idea is not mine and I am not sure who had the idea first. I personally found it on Ernest Rowes YouTube channel. I figure most Impact owners have seen this mod but figured i would share anyway.

Anyway the mod is 12.5MM long piece of 20x14 Carbon tube I bought off of ebay. I personally don't own a lathe so I cut it on a miter saw (not the correct way to do it) but it work fairly well for being cut improperly. Obviously you can only put a little tension on it with the one factory barrel screw.

No more POI shift from bumping the barrel and minimal movement when going from different weight moderators. I could tell no difference in group size but that is not expected. 

16231133974645192235125154889529.1623113420.jpg

With shroud tensioner and liner sleeve my 700mm barrel's worse group at 100 meters is 2 inch and most are 1-1.5 inch and a few sub 1 inch. Before the liner sleeve I generally get 1 sub 1 inch group if I'm lucky, most are 2 inch or a bit more and then worse ones are 4-5 inch! Spent tons of time and money on tunes before but now I mostly just dial for speed I want. 

I have not installed the sleeve or the CF tensioner just yet on my .30 700mm. I would like to, but need to figure out just where and what to get exactly. Been lazy on that. I did check the Ernest site early today and nothing like this was being offered currently.

What I have done is to paint black and install a plumbing fitting for a tensioner. My shroud is flush on the end and is not tapered. I also wrapped the O.D. of the liner in multiple sections with painter's tape to eliminate the O-rings for a tight secure fit. I also added a shroud support that secures to the 580cc bottle. In addition, I added four O-rings to the outer shroud under the rail that works with the shroud support on the bottle. The O-rings make the shroud press against the bottle support just slightly (no shroud bouncing upwards with this DIY mod. So, the shroud is still completely riding on O-rings along its path, but is quite secure with no shifting in any direction.

I think all of these mods made a difference. A short while back I popped thirteen gray squirrels in the head that were between a lasered 82 and 85 yards over a three day period while camping. Ten others in-between 62 and 65 yards in the head at another spot. I couldn't believe I hit everyone of them in the head and was my best shooting to date outside of winning the GTA Fun Shoot in 2017 in the PCP class. There were two others that were hit in the upper neck area. I can say the Titan scope played a big role here as well. I left my shooting buddy speechless that was with me as he verified they were all headshots. He's a PB guy and doesn't own an airgun.

This 

Triggertreat I would be very interested to see some pics of these mods if you dont mind sharing

This is the thread about the shroud support I received from Mrshosted: A gift for you! Closed - Airgun Nation

I have not heard much about them since I received mine. I like it...The only dig would be that it will spin the shroud if the bottle is not really secured tightly.

30 Cal 6-8-21-01.1623165340.jpg

30 Cal 6-8-21-03.1623165376.jpg

I was going by memory in my post. The .25 cal shroud is the one that has a flush end on the shroud that I use a painted plumbing pipe on. This is the .30 cal pictured. I think I am using a modified stiff battery cap or something on this one as a tensioner. It works to tension the shroud, but is why I would like to get something better to use for tensioning. You can see the O-rings under the rail. I think I started with four of them and then backed off. It has been a while. I couldn't tell you the size as I was installing whatever size would work with the shroud support to not bend the shroud but put enough tension against the support. The O-rings work really well for this DIY idea.

30 Cal 6-8-21-02.1623165358.jpg

The rest is just green Frog tape wrapped around the liner roughly spaced about 3" apart. A snug fit but still workable to remove with protected pliers. I consider all of this temporary patches until I can find everything this thread is really referring to, but all of this does work in the meantime.