FX Impact barrel locking screw alignment issue

I just checked mine and it's just like the one shown in the video. I personally, don't see it as a showstopper or cause for alarm. The design suggests FX designed the lock screw to be rounded at the tip.so it might have been an oversight when the initial batch of lock screws were being manufactured. Not good but at least it has been acknowledged and accounted for. I would imagine owners will be sent the proper screw once it's available.

Good catch and thanks for sharing this.

Does anyone else have this problem? I am starting to think FX should hold off production until they fix all these issues that are coming up lately.
Mine works perfectly. The set screw on the barrel is a precise 90 degrees to the transfer port on the brass piece. The screw has a subtle cone shape on the tip that seats it nicely. I could not tell if the screw in Ernest's video had the same. I think the brass piece screws on to the barrel. I tried to remove mine, but it would not unscrew - probably lock tite. I wonder if that piece was not screwed on all the way, or came loose before the locktite[?] set.

If that is the case, I think Ernest would be better off getting the brass piece screwed on properly, rather than machining the set screw hole. For one, it would be a much easier fix. But, more importantly, you do not want any "play" when it comes to swapping the barrel. I routinely take mine out of the breech to clean it (makes the process soooo easy). When I return it, the POI does NOT shift. Not one bit. Even at 100 yards. This is the result of a few elements of the Impact's design. 1. The way it slides through three guides (not just at the breech block). 2. The nook on the brass piece insures that the transfer port lines up perfectly every time. 3. The set screw secures the barrel in the exact same place every time.

If that recessed hole on the side of the barrel was machined into an oval, the screw may not lock int the EXACT same place every time, and you may lose the precise repeatability.

Subtle cone shape to the screw tip:

Precise location of the set screw recess hole on the barrel.

I am not a machinist, but I wonder if something similar could be used to remedy. As you push in the barrel it would lock in position as the spring-tension ball finds the deepest part of the indentation in the barrel. Then you tighten the screw to make sure the ball is firmly pressed against the barrel.

EDIT: While I was drafting this Ted just posted some details. If the current setup works every time and only a very few rifles have these issues(?), it's probably better to fix those few rifles instead of a new/re-design.

EDIT: added example of push-button telescoping handle for concept. It would need to be reversed and adapted for barrels.

EDIT: added example link to where they sell them:

http://www.hobbyparts.com.au/store/categories/socket+set+screws+rolling+ball+tip/350/

Reactions: Ted
"fe7565"I am not a machinist, but I wonder if something similar could be used to remedy. As you push in the barrel it would lock in position as the spring-tension ball finds the deepest part of the indentation in the barrel. Then you tighten the screw to make sure the ball is firmly pressed against the barrel.

EDIT: While I was drafting this Ted just posted some details. If the current setup works every time and only a very few rifles have these issues(?), it's probably better to fix those few rifles instead of a new/re-design.
I have never seen a screw with a spring bearing in it. Pretty cool. I think your idea holds a lot of merit.

The example Ernest has shown seems to be of poor quality.The drilling in the barrel looks like it was done with a dull bit.The edge is burred.With the precision CNC machines FX use I would also expect the fit of the indent on the brass breech end of the barrel to locate snuggly into locator pin inside the action and not allow that movement for the set screw to be screwed into the edge of the hole on the barrel.While I'm on it,the set screw could have more taper on it and the hole more conical.Just seems poor quality control.Maybe at the end of tool life on that production run.

Does anyone else have this problem? I am starting to think FX should hold off production until they fix all these issues that are coming up lately.

Esting Rowe, should be more concerned how close the barrel transfer port is machined to the o-ring on these. Rather then alignment problem he thinks he has. Back the bolt out and seat the barrel in gently, and that little pin screw when you tighten it will center itself on the barrel.

Who should hold their product is Taipan - Kajan. OEM barrels, machine oil leaking out from every part of the rifle, regulator filled with tea spoon load of silicone grease. Hammer spring breaking, gun half cocking itself when fired (hammer bouncing) that is something Mr. Rowe chose not to speak about in his videos, or maybe did not see or felt that is important.

"Tactical"

Esting Rowe, should be more concerned how close the barrel transfer port is machined to the o-ring on these. Rather then alignment problem he thinks he has. Back the bolt out and seat the barrel in gently, and that little pin screw when you tighten it will center itself on the barrel.

Who should hold their product is Taipan - Kajan. OEM barrels, machine oil leaking out from every part of the rifle, regulator filled with tea spoon load of silicone grease. Hammer spring breaking, gun half cocking itself when fired (hammer bouncing) that is something Mr. Rowe chose not to speak about in his videos, or maybe did not see or felt that is important.
Your post so full of lies it not funny. Mr. Rowe know more about airguns and much more honest then you are. He has worked on many airguns with great results. His work speaks for itself. What are you able to do except make up stuff. 

My Mutant has none of the issues you mention. It works as well as any other airgun I have owned and is my favorite so far. I am hoping my IMPACT will be liked s much. 

Guys I started this thread to see if this is a general issue with the gun so that FX can fix it, not to argue about the guy who made the video. This is a gun I have been waiting for but right now I am going to stay away from it until I see things have calmed down. 

I was always a little worried about the way FX decided to lock the barrel down, specially on a big caliber gun with so much power. I remember watching a video of Ted talking to Tony Belas of Daystate, in which Tony was saying that a solid base was needed to mount the barrel on powerful pcp airguns which is why they made that base much bigger on the Wolverine. The two pcps that I have have a much longer mounting base and are held in by two screws and they are .177 and .22. 

Reactions: Ted
"Lou"Guys I started this thread to see if this is a general issue with the gun so that FX can fix it, not to argue about the guy who made the video.
Agreed! First off, for those who do not know, Mr. Rowe (the maker of the video) is a highly skilled and respected gunsmith. So, if you plan to take anything he says to task, you had better be on your game. :) 2nd - there is no need to bring up other guns or manufacturers. Lou was simply trying to gather info re: if the issue Ernest experienced had happened to other guns. Since I own an Impact, I offered my nugget of data (no issues with my gun).

In short, it looks like an error was made at the FX factory re: the brass piece not being screwed on properly (which caused a misalignment of the set screw). Ernest was just calling it to our attention - as was Lou: something worth a look if you own an Impact.

Positive Accuracy to Lou! :)

I watched the video, and I don't see the real problem. There is play with respect to the breach pin and the brass notch as there should be. The tapered cone on the screw will rotate, push and locate the barrel, much like a lathe center going into a shaft's center-drilled hole.

The screw will be going in square due to the length of engagement of the threads. The threads themselves will act as a centering mechanism for the screw when it is under compression. The mating cones of the barrel and screw will create uneven forces until it rotates and pushes into place. At that point the forces on the centering cone will equalize, effectively locating the barrel in the same place each and every time.

The only slight concern is that the slop in the brass notch and pin allow for more rotation in one direction than another. Ideally the play should be pretty much the same in both rotational directions. However, if there is enough play such that the rotation will over travel (even the slightest amount) in all directions about the hole and dimple, there will be no undue stress or deformation on the brass slot. There appears to be enough slop in the axial direction which is needed too.

The possible worry that the transfer port holes won't line up is likely a non-issue as well, since one or the other is going to be larger (or should be). The difference in transfer port sizes are to allow for manufacturing tolerances of the slot and pin, and the barrel dimple.

"Tactical"
The example Ernest has shown seems to be of poor quality.

yeah that is true poor QC or Mr.Rowe went in there with a Dremel trying to widen the transfer port. :) So lets see another example of Impact barrel just to compare.

Isnt that fellow a respected tuner? And we all know FX would never (Wildcat) have a new product with an issue. It appears FX makes great guns and I expect to be partaking of the smooth twist adventure at some point. But lets face it. FX is not perfect, just very good. 

Folks, apparently two issues noted in Mr. Rowe's videos are being/been fixed already by FX on the production line. Isn't that how one would expect a manufacturer to respond/react? Isn't good to know that the the informal process of feedback, such as this forum and videos and member input works? Aren't you glad to be able to be part of the worldwide "team" that customizes the product the way you (the user) expects it? I don't have an FX (yet) but it gives me confidence to know that problems (that should be anticipated with any new product line) are being fixed promptly and with the customer in the loop.

Back in the day you built a gun, tested it out, sent a first production run out to people to test, listened to all the issues they might have had with the gun, fixed those problems and made the gun. This is why I say we are kinda pushing FX to make as much as they can as fast as they can and then problems happen. Damn I have a pcp which a certain German manufacturer worked on for 16 years and they ended up getting things wrong lol but for most of you guys this is not a problem as you can send the gun back and have all the problems fixed or get a new gun, so I wouldn't be worried even though such expensive guns should be perfect out of the box, as for people like me that have to have the gun shipped from some other country and returning it back costs so much that it is not worth it, it is a big problem lol

"fe7565"Folks, apparently two issues noted in Mr. Rowe's videos are being/been fixed already by FX on the production line. Isn't that how one would expect a manufacturer to respond/react? Isn't good to know that the the informal process of feedback, such as this forum and videos and member input works? Aren't you glad to be able to be part of the worldwide "team" that customizes the product the way you (the user) expects it? I don't have an FX (yet) but it gives me confidence to know that problems (that should be anticipated with any new product line) are being fixed promptly and with the customer in the loop.

It would be nice to get the new fixes for the guns that are already out there with out paying extra from them too. ;) ;) ;) ;)

"kris"I don't want to bad mouth this model but, in my experience too high adjustability and too many options like barrels, power wheels, reg adjuster etc. is a recipe for disaster.
always something breaks when users fux with their guns. just my 2ps worth...
hehehe

you need something to tune and LOCK. and leave alone.
I think you may be onto something there. I've always felt that when a new product hits the market, it's best
not to "jump the gun" and purchase it right away. I wait until the bugs get worked out and then "pull the trigger" 
There may be too many variables built into this model that will affect it's quality. It will be interesting to see
how things play out.