FX FX Impact Barrel Hold Open Not Working

I took my son to shoot my FX Impact MK2 and he double loaded pellets which got stuck in the barrel. I have not been able to remove the lodged pellets and have a liner on order. FUN.

The bigger issue I’m seeing though is my rifle no longer is doing bolt hold open. What is the mechanism that does bolt hold open when their is no magazine and no pellets in the magazine? This seems to be not functioning as well.

Regarding the jammed pellets, a safe and certain way to remove them is to get the $10 set of long drill bits from Harbor Freight. Wrap a few turns of tape around the 1/8" bit until it's a slip fit into the barrel. One band at about an inch from the tip of the bit, and at a couple more places along its length. This setup will keep the bit centered so it doesn't touch the bore. Then drill out the pellets. Plunge a little at a time and withdraw the bit to clear the flutes. Once you've cored through them, pushing the rest out is easy.

I took my son to shoot my FX Impact MK2 and he double loaded pellets which got stuck in the barrel. I have not been able to remove the lodged pellets and have a liner on order. FUN.

The bigger issue I’m seeing though is my rifle no longer is doing bolt hold open. What is the mechanism that does bolt hold open when their is no magazine and no pellets in the magazine? This seems to be not functioning as well.
I dont believe there is a bolt hold open feature on impacts. At least my M3's dont have one not from the factory anyway. If the magazine is empty the bolt cant be pushed forward since theres no pellet hole in line with the bolt when its empty as long as the magazine is in the gun. Thats not really a bolt hold open feature tho and if the magazine is empty you wont be loading extra projectiles anyway. If you cock the impact you can freely open and close the bolt as much as you like. If you do that while a magazine loaded with pellets or slugs is in place you will shove multiple projectiles into the barrel.

Reactions: bucketboy
I had a friend triple-load my Impact M3 in .22 (I didn't think to tell him) at the range, and all I did was remove the barrel. 2 of the pellets just fell out, and I fired the 3rd one out.
I've also used a cleaning rod with a nylon tip and just tapped it out. Pellets are soft and are not hard to remove. Don't ask me how I know. :)

Mike

I had a friend triple-load my Impact M3 in .22 (I didn't think to tell him) at the range, and all I did was remove the barrel. 2 of the pellets just fell out, and I fired the 3rd one out.
I've also used a cleaning rod with a nylon tip and just tapped it out. Pellets are soft and are not hard to remove. Don't ask me how I know. :)

Mike

Slightly off topic but still relevant, a couple of months ago my friend bought a s/h Theoben Rapid very cheaply because it was “not in working order” he dropped it off for me to repair, first thing I did was to dry fire it and it was obvious to me that it was totally empty of air. After topping up the bottle I tried again, this time the gun fired correctly but no air escaped from the barrel.
The most likely cause was the barrel had been rotated misaligning the transfer port, removing the barrel from the block I could clearly see the problem, there were pellets stuck in the barrel.
Using a fibreglass rod I gently pushed out the pellets back out through the breech ( no breech seal on a rapid ) to my amazement there was an entire 17 shot magazines worth of pellets jammed inside.

As you say, lead is soft so with the correct tools it is fairly easy to push them out👍

Bb

Reactions: mubhaur
Slightly off topic but still relevant, a couple of months ago my friend bought a s/h Theoben Rapid very cheaply because it was “not in working order” he dropped it off for me to repair, first thing I did was to dry fire it and it was obvious to me that it was totally empty of air. After topping up the bottle I tried again, this time the gun fired correctly but no air escaped from the barrel.
The most likely cause was the barrel had been rotated misaligning the transfer port, removing the barrel from the block I could clearly see the problem, there were pellets stuck in the barrel.
Using a fibreglass rod I gently pushed out the pellets back out through the breech ( no breech seal on a rapid ) to my amazement there was an entire 17 shot magazines worth of pellets jammed inside.

As you say, lead is soft so with the correct tools it is fairly easy to push them out👍

Bb
I have experience only one instance when I could not remove 10 pellets of 18.13 grain jsb .22 stuck out of Royal 400.

These were so much stuck that carbon fiber or anything else didn't work. Finally I had to heat up the barrel gradually and the lead got softer and the pellets came out with less push effort.

I couldn't notice the effect of heating on the Smooth Twist barrel.

Bhaur

The head and skirt geometry will influence the tendency of certain pellets to wedge more forcefully. It may also be the case that a thin-walled liner responds to the wedging by expanding ever so slightly, worsening the problem with each tap.

And I don't know how widespread it is but I poured a cast lap to work the bore of a .177 STX liner and it got stuck because the bore was so far out of uniformity. In other words, even though it was a solid lead lap with no opportunity to expand and wedge, it nevertheless could not be extracted. I had to core out the center of it to remove it.

I would be careful " tapping it out " when I tried that the pellet expanded and was really stuck . " I use lube and a steady push ". Lol

Sometimes the jam is in the transfer port and that can be separated from the barrel for easier removal of stuck pellets.

If you short stroke the last pellet it gets stuck half in the mag and half in the transfer port. You'll get good at removing the barrel . Do yourself a favor and mark the components before removing .

Own 4 impacts and none of them have a bolt hold open unless you got yourself an AirMarksman Backbone Rail.
Are we talking about the last pellet where you can't close the bolt?
As for the removal of the stuck pellets. Remove the barrel of the Impact, use a wood dowel, and tap it out
I've loaded 5 or 7 slugs into my barrel while checking the cocking and forgot to remove the magazine.
I used the Tipton Carbon Fiber Cleaning Rod.