FX Impact barrel cleaning. Which direction?

I have read most of the threads regarding cleaning the fx m3 barrel. However, I have yet to see anyone address what I feel is pretty important. Which direction is best? I tried my home made patch worm and fed from the breech end. As I inserted, I kept having a feeling that I might be poking some internal o-ring and doing damage. Then I thought I would push a cleaning pellet from the end of the barrel toward the breech. That had me thinking if there were any o-rings then I might be pushing them out. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

The manual says to use cleaning pellets occasionally. What does that mean, occasionally? Every 100, every 1000, every month? So I called my dealer and he said cleaning pellets suck. Well I already bought them so I figured I'd put them to use. I got a weed whacker line, fed it through the hole in the pellet, and pulled it out the barrel from the breech. Worked great I guess because it came out black. Just worried I may have poked a ring. I guess if you have to take things apart to get a good clean so be it. Not looking for an easier way but?

I've had my used Maverick for a couple years now and a few 1000 rounds thru it. I've always heard to clean from breech to muzzle... always go in the direction of the projectile. I've never cleaned the barrel and since it's extremely accurate, I don't plan to any time soon. When I clean my other guns, I've never worried about orings. Inserting a regular drinking straw into the muzzle end helps guide the plastic string past the moderator. Works great if you are not removing the moderator for some reason. I have a collection of cleaning pellets but still use patches most of the time. I'm using Patchworm mostly these days.

The straw is an ingenious idea. Just have to find a flexible one to bend up in the breech.
I don't use the straw at the breech. I don't think the "trimmer string" will do any harm as it passes by an oring. ( My personal opinion ). However, if the moderator is attached, the string will get hung up in the moderator once the string exits the barrel. Inserting the straw into the moderator until it rests against the barrel will provide a smooth path for the string to exit the moderator so you can then pull the patch thru to clean the barrel.

I cleaned with my moderator off. No reason to have that on. The weed whacker line I had to cut a sharp 45 to feed through the cleaning pellet. I was worried that the sharp point would poke things until it got past whatever it may damage. I have to twist and work it until it passes through. I only did this 3x until I thought I might be damaging it. It has been raining all day so I have to wait until tomorrow to shoot. If accuracy goes way down I'll know what caused it. I'll post results tomorrow.

I think that would be pretty tricky. If you get a straw that's the right size to slide past the oring, I'm pretty sure you'll have a rough time getting the cleaning pellet / patch thru the straw too if you can get thru it at all. Maybe someone else will comment but I've never heard anyone express concerns about the orings when running any cleaning rods, strings, snakes etc thru the barrel. You might be trying to fix a non-problem. Those orings are quite tough. The Patchworm is basically the same as you described. It's a string with a sharp end so that you can push thru patches or their cleaning pellets ( Patchworm refers to the pellets as buttons )

I cleaned with my moderator off. No reason to have that on. The weed whacker line I had to cut a sharp 45 to feed through the cleaning pellet. I was worried that the sharp point would poke things until it got past whatever it may damage. I have to twist and work it until it passes through. I only did this 3x until I thought I might be damaging it. It has been raining all day so I have to wait until tomorrow to shoot. If accuracy goes way down I'll know what caused it. I'll post results tomorrow.

I never remove my FX barrel to clean it and use a pull through weed eater string cleaner. Rather than pellets, I use pre-cut cotton cleaning patches for that, adjusting the size of the patch for a snug fit depending on the bore diameter. A very small patch pushed down to the enlarged and of the pull through followed by a larger patch works best for me. Experiment with fabric size and thickness and don't go too fat too soon or you will get it stuck in there.

More stuff added:

With a rigid cleaning rod, back to front is definitely better, but I don't own any airguns that I can clean that way without disassembly and I don't like taking the barrels off. With a rod you should also be using a bore guide on the chamber end to protect it as well and doing something to prevent the rod "bounce and rub" on the crown when the patch or brush exits.

I find that when pulling a weed eater cleaner through and there is a moderator installed it makes no difference as far as rubbing on the crown, which direction you pull it through when it comes to contact with the crown. Without a moderator or some other device out in front of the crown, in my experience, just the opposite happens. There is a greater chance of rubbing the cord under tension on the crown when pulling it through from the breech to the muzzle.

I watch people on Youtube using a pull through cleaner that is obviously embedded with years worth of crud from cleaning and they are pulling it out of the muzzle at an angle. That can't be good for the crown if there is grit on the cord. That simply does not happen if you carefully start it in the muzzle and pull it out from the breech. I wipe down after each use and replace my pull through weedeater cords regularly so they don't become an abrasive "chainsaw".

Last edited:
My new Liner prepping:
I tend to be contrary to most of the cleaning rhetoric and clean/season my liners with a brass brush from the breach first, to the crown, for 50-100 vigorous strokes with Ballistol, or your favorite cleaner, and then, from the crown to the breach a few inches with vagarious energy, 20-30 strokes. After this routine and cleaning, I take my bore mop with JB paste for another 50-100 strokes from the breach end and adding a few more out the crown too. Then I put the bore mop in my drill and run it at high speed on the entry to the breach end of the lands of the liner for 15- 20 sec to bevel and smooth the transition of the pellet/slug from the transfer port.
Results are liners that are as perfectly smooth, polished and consistent as they can be. YMMV

Muzzle to breach... breach to muzzle- not really sure it matters unless using something you shouldn’t . I usually go breach to muzzle but reversed that tonight with the barrel removed and got a few tiny lead flakes even though the barrel was already clean. Years ago a former navy submariner mentioned to me the importance of “back flushing”.

For the breach first believers think about this: everything your patch picks up gets dragged over that all important last quarter inch at the muzzle. Personally I don’t think it matters but you might.