Fx impact and altaros atp smooth slug long range test

It seems to me that the ATP king 22 40 grains are not easy to compare 2 other slugs. As it seems the other slugs tend to like faster speeds. That or when their slugs are over sped they do not do weird things like the ATP does. 2 weeks ago I was at the range and fired off the ATP king 2240 grains. This is in my impact mk2 with the 1 in 18 twist 800 mm barrel. It did very well with the exception of the magazine getting stuck just about every time requiring removal of the barrel in order to remove stuck slug. I did fairly well with them although it was hard to keep my concentration when I had issues loading the slugs.

Today I went back out to the range with the 1:14 22 800 mm 22 same gun. It was cold and very humid. It just rained. I don't know what I was thinking but I forgot to crank back the reg when i was home. It immediately fired at 1050fps. Cranking it back I got it down to 930. Turning down the front screw got me down closer to 900. Ideally I need to crank back on the pressure as I am somewhere around 180 bar at the regulator I believe. But wow the ATP started stacking them at 100 yards.
View attachment 328165

After about 25 rounds I immediately went to 220 yards and took out the little bunny silhouettes one by one with only a couple misses. I still need better eyes or glass as i still have issues seeing the impacts. I think most shots were a little bit low. I shot some paper at 220 yard to confirm and literally stacked 2 of them just like that. I couldn't believe it didn't want to try it a 3rd shot šŸ¤£ but of course I was out of slugs in the magazine anyways when i tried. Which by the way was redesigned by Elis a while back, I just now got one of his new ones. Made just for slugs and it did not hang up one time with the 150 or so slugs I put thru it. šŸ˜ŠšŸ‘.
View attachment 328171
Of course when I got the magazine refilled the 3rd slug was not in the same hole. The conditions change a little. Since I had to leave earlier than normal I went for 300 yards and started pounding some crow silhouettes. I have no idea how large those are but they are larger. I guess next time I will drive up the to see the size as I was a bit of a bum and had to leave before the line was called. I put down a good 8-10 and I'm sure next time someone will figure it out that it was the guy shooting the airgun who did knocked them all down! šŸ¤£

I got the lousy video uploaded and double speed so I can show some of the shots it did. But warning I was in a hurry today and the tactacam was not positioned correctly.

Allen
Excellent results Allen,
do you think with 700 1/16 twest liner that you can shoot them accurately faster than 800 1/14
And if you donā€™t mind do you find shooting the 800 more difficult
Thanks

Thanks the 700 1/16 may work, as a matter of fact I did try it for a little while with good results. But they still do not like going fast with the 700mm barrel. Try it at 900 fps and ok you can see where it goes and it is grouping well, 925 ok seems to still be doing ok. Then somewhere above 950-980 and depending on some other influence maybe the spin rate. It shoots like a shotgun and the slugs will go so off track that you have no idea where POI is. 880 and 890 seems to be the sweet spot today and last outing. When I got up to 910 today things got a little weird. I have to say though the wind even though it was light, it was switching back and forth, and from behind to headwind. And yes the longer 800 to me was a little hold sensitive. I did not shoot paper that much today and wanted to go as far as the scope would let me. When the wind stayed in one spot long enough I got this at 219 yards today.
20230213_110604.jpg

Sort vid of the three shots

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-02-14 06_45_27.342770.jpg

Each square is 1 inch. Later when I moved
to 319 yards I was able to get this group of three. Coke can for reference. I used the pig to see where I was hitting as the wind was not as consistent as the last time I shot. Boy was that pig heavy, i thought i was going to hurt my back again!

I hate dealing with my tactacam. I have issues with focus and the white balance. This would have been great on video being able to do this over 300 yards

Screenshot_20230213_121947_Gallery.jpg

I hit a bunch of the crows at the 319 yard line today. Again coke bottle for reference.

20230213_121233.jpg

At times it seemed like I was shooting thru the hole.

I had a little trouble driving my little sedan up to the 420 yard line. But today was my first attempt at 420 and it was better than expected. The smallest silhouette was a ground hog or squirrel. I think I hit about 4 or 5 of those before I ran out of slugs.

I will see if any of the videos came out clear enough to post.

Ok I do have a little bit of the 400 yard line. I think they are ground hogs or ground squirrels? The slug speeds were starting to get higher. The second shot just rocks the squirrel. šŸ¤£

And the last shots of the day. The wind was going back and forth but for some reason I either could not see the impacts or I was just lost. In the vid you see me knock down 2 then I start missing, and run out of slugs. šŸ˜³ which was ok as I was getting tired. Do NOT turn the volume up there are powder burners in the clip and you can hear them loud and clear!

Allen

Last edited:
The BC on these slugs are basically twice as high as traditional high BC slugs!!! This is BETTER than 22LR!! Another step in the ammo evolution, only thing is the cost for now. Hope as manufacture process and scale improve the cost will come down, I know itā€™s not easy to make a quality non-HP slugs.

As far as get these heavy slugs to go faster, pretty sure the impact is completely tapped out at close to 900fps, I have the same MK2.3 with power lock. If you want to sling them at 1000 fps accurately you most likely have to go Panthera 700mm route, it has the bigger valve and plenum needed to accelerate the heavy 40 grain slugs to 1000 FPS and close the valve in time.

In long range BC is the KING! when I was shooting the 35 grain NSA @850fps, they would out run or have less elevation drop compared to 27.5 grain slugs @950fps pass 150 yards.

Reactions: brams
The BC on these slugs are basically twice as high as traditional high BC slugs!!! This is BETTER than 22LR!! Another step in the ammo evolution, only thing is the cost for now. Hope as manufacture process and scale improve the cost will come down, I know itā€™s not easy to make a quality non-HP slugs.

As far as get these heavy slugs to go faster, pretty sure the impact is completely tapped out at close to 900fps, I have the same MK2.3 with power lock. If you want to sling them at 1000 fps accurately you most likely have to go Panthera 700mm route, it has the bigger valve and plenum needed to accelerate the heavy 40 grain slugs to 1000 FPS and close the valve in time.

In long range BC is the KING! when I was shooting the 35 grain NSA @850fps, they would out run or have less elevation drop compared to 27.5 grain slugs @950fps pass 150 yards.
Yes, and I verified the G1 BC at 885 fps at 100Y last weekend and it was right at the published 0.21 value. I also plugged in the RA4 profile, but there was no difference out to 300 yards. Why would someone want 1000 fps? Use more air? Harsher shot cycle? Harder to shoot accurately? Things that make you go hmmm.... I did take it up to 925 fps, and the gun sounded and shot differently than at 885 fps. It was easy to tell that, least for the 600mm barrel, 90 FPE is about as high as you want to go and still remain accurate and easy to shoot...
Cost? How does it compare to the boutique slugs many of the shooters are using like Griffin, AVS, and others? The .25 Altaros 49.5 grain are about $20 per hundred when ordered in packs of five or more...

Last edited:
Yes, and I verified the G1 BC at 885 fps at 100Y last weekend and it was right at the published 0.21 value. I also plugged in the RA4 profile, but there was no difference out to 300 yards.

Did you lube these? My initial 100 I tested (although I think they were 32.5 gr) had some fliers, someone mentioned lubing them, so the remainder of my tests were with lubed (just lemon pledge) slugs. Once i had the speeds low enough I had very few fliers. Most of the slugs that did not hit where i wanted, moved either because of me, or reading the wind wrong. But when I did have a flier you could tell because it really went off course. Maybe those I loaded backwards?

Why would someone want 1000 fps? Use more air? Harsher shot cycle? Harder to shoot accurately? Things that make you go hmmm.... I did take it up to 925 fps, and the gun sounded and shot differently than at 885 fps. It was easy to tell that, least for the 600mm barrel, 90 FPE is about as high as you want to go and still remain accurate and easy
Why would I want something like this stable at higher speeds? GREED OF COURSE! Just to be able to have it hit even harder. Maybe not at the expense of a harsher shot cycle. This is the reason I want to try the 60 gr .25 queen more impact at even further distances. And even more stability with the .245 bc. So I'm hoping.

Cost? How does it compare to the boutique slugs many of the shooters are using like Griffin, AVS, and others? The .25 Altaros 49.5 grain are about $20 per hundred when ordered in packs of five or more...

Not only cost but time as well. As I mentioned in another post. when you are waiting for them it seems like they take even longer to get here and were put on a slow boat from China, except these are not from China. šŸ¤Ŗ I think for SoCal it was close to 3 weeks if not more to get here.

Allen

Did you lube these? My initial 100 I tested (although I think they were 32.5 gr) had some fliers, someone mentioned lubing them, so the remainder of my tests were with lubed (just lemon pledge) slugs. Once i had the speeds low enough I had very few fliers. Most of the slugs that did not hit where i wanted, moved either because of me, or reading the wind wrong. But when I did have a flier you could tell because it really went off course. Maybe those I loaded backwards?

Why would I want something like this stable at higher speeds? GREED OF COURSE! Just to be able to have it hit even harder. Maybe not at the expense of a harsher shot cycle. This is the reason I want to try the 60 gr .25 queen more impact at even further distances. And even more stability with the .245 bc. So I'm hoping.

Not only cost but time as well. As I mentioned in another post. when you are waiting for them it seems like they take even longer to get here and were put on a slow boat from China, except these are not from China. šŸ¤Ŗ I think for SoCal it was close to 3 weeks if not more to get here.

Allen
Iā€™m in San Diego and I ordered Feb 20th. Got them today. Thatā€™s as good as Pyramyd Airā€¦.

At 885 fps they are 86 FPE, and at 200 yards they still have 66 FPE. I think thatā€™s pretty damn good. Glad I didnā€™t hear ā€œflatterā€ or Iā€™d have snorted my coffee through my nose in laughter. šŸ¤Ŗ

Yes on the lube. A quick spritz of Ballistol on the foam in the tin (I transfer them to used pellet tins) and then close it up overnight. No flyers at 100Y, havenā€™t tried further.

Iā€™m in San Diego and I ordered Feb 20th. Got them today. Thatā€™s as good as Pyramyd Airā€¦.

At 885 fps they are 86 FPE, and at 200 yards they still have 66 FPE. I think thatā€™s pretty damn good. Glad I didnā€™t hear ā€œflatterā€ or Iā€™d have snorted my coffee through my nose in laughter. šŸ¤Ŗ

Yes on the lube. A quick spritz of Ballistol on the foam in the tin (I transfer them to used pellet tins) and then close it up overnight. No flyers at 100Y, havenā€™t tried further.
Wow they did you good! Im just above you in orange county. Maybe this shipment will be faster than the last two. I think of all the dealers krale is the fastest which tends to be 3 days but they don't sell the Altaros slugs.

As for hiting it hard it just needs to be hard enough to knock down the steels at pala. I just started going to 400 yards and I want to keep stretching it out to 5 maybe 600 if I can knock the Silhouettes down out at those distances. If not I want to be able to see the marks. I have no idea how heavy they are at that distance or what they are, but the pig at 200 (strike that apparently it is the one above at the 300 yds) was a pain to lift back into place, it felt like at least 40 lbs. Yes I got a bad back. šŸ™„
I think I can hit that like a dozen times or more before it falls šŸ˜¬

Allen

Last edited: