• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fx impact and altaros atp smooth slug long range test

Shooting the altaros.22 atp smooth 32.3 slug in windy day . Gun is fx impact PP 700 heavy liner shooting this slug at 975fps
This slug 32.3 (BC 0.175 as tested and confirmed)and the altaros king 40 gr (BC 0.21 as tested and confirmed)slug is outstanding and IMO is superior to 22lr as the BC is higher and wind blocking combine with PCP SD is better.

Note:

BUT please note that due to boat tail pin probe is required And they have 2 downside
1- they are dry and require some lope.
2- if wind is from the right they have a jump but it’s fixed the entire slug flight (e.g. wind 8-13km from the right they will jump 0.2 mil
And 13-20km wind they will jump 0.3 mil
But it’s repeated and can be adjusted for it.

Last edited:
Nice shooting 👌
Have you done doppler testing for those slugs? Since altaros says its 0.21bc at 250m/s and I assume its the highest BC value with most optimal speed they put out. I wonder what the actual BC value is at 1000fps range?
I test the bc by shooting at different ranges from 60 yard up to 400 yard and validate the drop, the 32.3 altaros says its 0.18 but find it to be 0.17 on my gun at 975fps however the 40gr at 900fps it actually spot on with the given BC
But the 32.3 and 31 they don’t like being shoot at at above 990 as I noticed they loose accuracy

Finally someone with feedback about those slugs! I have been tempted for some time to get a taste but since i had always something else to test or mod always postponed those. Glad you tested in a windy day! And congrats by the way. Just please give me some more feedback. What was the target size at 450m (or 496y) in the video and wind direction? Since it is a desert area i assume the wind was strong but consistent in direction and speed.. with wich slug did you found to be more accurate with the heavy liner? 1:16 twist i assume.. thanks

By the way if you have the means and the scope set up try it a bit further, when i get some i will try to extend a bit since i maxed out at 600yds with 40gr Zans (whithout loosing 50m zero or using range extenders). The previous had a BC of 0.128 G1
I am using a 32mrad elevation optic plus 10mrad stadia wich should by my calculations let extend the range in theory to 700-750yds (although what i really want to find is how bad an angle will the projectile impact and how big a group i will make.

Screenshot_2022-12-20-01-04-54.png

Screenshot_2022-12-20-01-04-01.png

I test the bc by shooting at different ranges from 60 yard up to 400 yard and validate the drop, the 32.3 altaros says its 0.18 but find it to be 0.17 on my gun at 975fps however the 40gr at 900fps it actually spot on with the given BC
But the 32.3 and 31 they don’t like being shoot at at above 990 as I noticed they loose accuracy
I went to the range to fire off the same slugs I think and got similar results. I got my best group at 920fps at 100. At 1000 and above it was a shotgun and was lucky to hit paper. This slug maybe better with my heavy superior 700mm as the tune I had with the 800mm made it hard to be consistent at slower speeds with the heavy hammer. I did get a fair amount of fliers (probably due to the tune) so I could not get the best out of the slug.
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-12-20 23_50_33.712492.jpg

20221219_120209.jpg

20221219_112051.jpg

Not sure if I will attempt the 40gr or not.

Allen

Last edited:
Finally someone with feedback about those slugs! I have been tempted for some time to get a taste but since i had always something else to test or mod always postponed those. Glad you tested in a windy day! And congrats by the way. Just please give me some more feedback. What was the target size at 450m (or 496y) in the video and wind direction? Since it is a desert area i assume the wind was strong but consistent in direction and speed.. with wich slug did you found to be more accurate with the heavy liner? 1:16 twist i assume.. thanks
Thank you, target size approximately 15cm wide and 20cm high wind was from 9:30 to 11 and it was not consistent but I try to time my shoot between wind gust.
Both both 32.3 and 40gr shoot excellent from 1:16 but I shoot 32.3 because I have a lot of them and they shoot faster on my settings.

BUT please note that due to boat tail pin probe is required And they have 2 downside
1- they are dry and require some lope.
2- if wind is from the right they have a jump but it’s fixed the entire slug flight (e.g. wind 8-13km from the right they will jump 0.2 mil
And 13-20km wind they will jump 0.3 mil
But it’s repeated and can be adjusted for it.

Reactions: Ignoto
I went to the range to fire off the same slugs I think and got similar results. I got my best group at 920fps at 100. At 1000 and above it was a shotgun and was lucky to hit paper. This slug maybe better with my heavy superior 700mm as the tune I had with the 800mm made it hard to be consistent at slower speeds with the heavy hammer. I did get a fair amount of fliers (probably due to the tune) so I could not get the best out of the slug.
View attachment 315574

View attachment 315571

View attachment 315572

Not sure if I will attempt the 40gr or not.

Allen
Thanks Allen,
Consider loping them it will help with the fliers as these slugs are dry . I use balistol spray for loping . If using balistol as lobe gives them time to dry because I think balistol have propellent that after evaporated leave mineral oil only.

Very nice shooting.
Personally, I do not lubricate any slugs, as the lubricant can be very inconsistent depending on the temperature.

regarding the change in the impact height of the ATP slug in a side wind it is the standard behavior of the bullets, the so-called aerodynamic jump, which causes the bullet to drop when the wind is from left to right, and raises the bullet when the wind direction is from right to left ( with pellets it is exactly the opposite ). At longer distances and stronger winds, it is already quite noticeable and it is necessary to compensate for this effect. A better ballistic program already predicts this

Well today I went to the range with almost 2 boxes of prepared Altaros slugs. This weekend I clean the 1:14 and the 1:18 800mm barrels as well as clean and lube the slugs. I just put a box on a clean paper towel sprayed with lemon pledge, rolled them around and transferred to a dry towel and rolled around a let dry. I installed the 1/14 800mm barrel onto my mostly stock mk2. Shot it up to 30 yards at the house for a speed that gave me a decent group. I settled on 950fps figuring I could always slow it down. I probably should have started higher.
The groups were decent and tightest 5 was .802 MOA
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-01-02 16_37_01.540285.jpg

Actually 0.74 MOA.
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-01-03 16_18_54.302622.jpg

At 200 yard it got bigger. I was shooting the little bunny silhouettes that were about the size of a soda can. The groups at 200 were about the size of two soda cans. I knock about all the bunnys at the 200 yard line. i wanted to go to 300 but i realized i did not have adjustable scope rings on this setup.
20230102_121052.jpg

This is the 200 yard line where the bunnys are. 300 is where that truck is.
Screenshot_20230102_121235_Gallery.jpg

I had the airgun tethered so I would not go too low on pressure unfortunately I shut the valve off each time the firing line was called. Of course I forgot to turn ot back on almost every time lol.
20230102_111752.jpg

I had a little time to shoot that H&N 34 gr bit they fired too slow with this tune and did not group well. They seem to like speeds like 990 fps.

20230102_111807.jpg

I wonder what is the ideal speed for the Altaros slugs? They definitely don't seem to like speeds in excess of 990fps.

Allen

Last edited:
Reactions: qball
Thanks for the info. Lots of steel to shoot at!

A month or so ago I shot some the ATP smooth 32.3gr at around 870 fps out of my Redwolf and they shot decent at 60Y. All less than an inch anyway.

Then shot a different batch at 50Y out of the same gun about two weeks ago and they didn't shoot as well. Might have been because my barrel was leaded up by then because I had shot other slugs before hand. When it warms up here at 6640 ft elevation I'll try again.

Reactions: Healthservices
Testing barrel FX superior heavy 700mm and our ATP King slugs

To: Healthservices
Nice targets and a wonderful shooting range, I am very envious of you ;-) , unfortunately there is no similar shooting range in the Czech Republic

here I am copying the text below the youtube video:

Ammunitions: ATP King .22 40 grain, dieamter 5.50mm ( .2165 ) - CNC turned lead slugs More information about Altaros ATP King: https://www.militaryairgun.com/domu/184-atp-king-550mm-22.html
Barrel - FX superior heavy 700mm
Airgun: Altaros M24 - model for testing slugs in diferents barrels brands and types
Stock: Oryx chassis for Remington 700 LA
Muzzle velocity: 278 m/s - 912 fps 40gr ATP King = 100 J or 75 fpe

All 3 misses were caused by the shooter :
1 miss- bad wind estimate
2 miss- aiming too far right
3 miss- bad hold, after the shot the reticle was raised and the shot therefore went up

I this barrel I also teste ATP King .22 40 grain, dieamter 5.52mm ( .2173 ) with very similar/same result, so this ATP King its not picky about barrel diameter.

It seems to me that the ATP king 22 40 grains are not easy to compare 2 other slugs. As it seems the other slugs tend to like faster speeds. That or when their slugs are over sped they do not do weird things like the ATP does. 2 weeks ago I was at the range and fired off the ATP king 2240 grains. This is in my impact mk2 with the 1 in 18 twist 800 mm barrel. It did very well with the exception of the magazine getting stuck just about every time requiring removal of the barrel in order to remove stuck slug. I did fairly well with them although it was hard to keep my concentration when I had issues loading the slugs.

Today I went back out to the range with the 1:14 22 800 mm 22 same gun. It was cold and very humid. It just rained. I don't know what I was thinking but I forgot to crank back the reg when i was home. It immediately fired at 1050fps. Cranking it back I got it down to 930. Turning down the front screw got me down closer to 900. Ideally I need to crank back on the pressure as I am somewhere around 180 bar at the regulator I believe. But wow the ATP started stacking them at 100 yards.
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-01-30 13_43_22.416745.jpg

After about 25 rounds I immediately went to 220 yards and took out the little bunny silhouettes one by one with only a couple misses. I still need better eyes or glass as i still have issues seeing the impacts. I think most shots were a little bit low. I shot some paper at 220 yard to confirm and literally stacked 2 of them just like that. I couldn't believe it didn't want to try it a 3rd shot 🤣 but of course I was out of slugs in the magazine anyways when i tried. Which by the way was redesigned by Elis a while back, I just now got one of his new ones. Made just for slugs and it did not hang up one time with the 150 or so slugs I put thru it. 😊👍.
20230130_164858.jpg

Of course when I got the magazine refilled the 3rd slug was not in the same hole. The conditions change a little. Since I had to leave earlier than normal I went for 300 yards and started pounding some crow silhouettes. I have no idea how large those are but they are larger. I guess next time I will drive up the to see the size as I was a bit of a bum and had to leave before the line was called. I put down a good 8-10 and I'm sure next time someone will figure it out that it was the guy shooting the airgun who did knocked them all down! 🤣

I got the lousy video uploaded and double speed so I can show some of the shots it did. But warning I was in a hurry today and the tactacam was not positioned correctly.

Allen

Last edited: