FX Impact - air rushing out the barrel

I've owned my Gen 3 AMP regged Impact X from new and have put a few pellet tins through it with no issues until today.

I'd been testing various pellets when all of a sudden after one shot it started leaking air out of the barrel, it was a rush of air more than a slow/slight leak. It continued releasing the air so I removed the bottle to stop it. When I screwed the bottle back on, air started rushing down the barrel again. I tried cocking the action to take pressure off the valve but it continued to leak so I turned the the reg adjuster inwards (CW) and the air stopped leaking when the adjuster was all the way in with no air showing on the reg gauge. As soon as I turned the reg adjuster outwards (ACW) the air leaked out the barrel again rather than staying in the rifle and showing on the reg gauge.

I take it an o ring has gone so which one is it likely to be and which others should I look to replace when I strip it down to try and cure the leak?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Call FX USA Direct. 866 639 0772. They will have a tech call you back if none are available. Sounds like you ripped an o-ring to me, but call FX for real help.

I agree it's an o-ring on the regulator because when you screw it in, it seals. I don't know about the AMP regs, mine is a gen 1, but in mine the outer screw had two O-rings. Screwing in sealed the leak when the second o-ring made contact.

Anyway, FX is there.

I agree with Heavy. I just had a problem that sounded exactly the same. I took my gun apart 3 times, changed the or o-rings and the problem persisted. I ended up sending in my Impact and it was the valve/valve housing. I would start by looking at the o-rings on the outside of the valve housing(4), then check the valve itself for a crack or bad o-ring. If you don’t find anything there, check the valve tube(plenum). These are good places to start your search.

If you do a search for Impact leak part 2.... it’s back, you’ll see the post I started when trying to find my leak. Since yours sounds the same, I’m sure you’ll find some useful information Good luck. Stoti

Don't worry, I'm experienced w/impacts. Youl'l get plenty of practice fixing them,

They seem to be a very fidgety type of gun... but it is popular and gets a lot of press. Also lots of users ready to help diagnose and fix issues that come up.

Keyman62421 - fully agree. You'll get a lot of experience changing O-Rings. I'm living proof.

L.Leon - When they work, they are incredible.

TheGog - Apologies, didn't realize you are in the UK. Short of calling your importer, check out the FX IMPACT Master Class on YouTube. See if anything there helps.

For those having problems with Impact o-rings...

If you buy some 3M pink polishing paper like Mr Rowe uses in the masterclass videos and smooth every sharp edge that an 0-ring passes across during assembly, the o-ring problems will go away. I know this should've been done during the manufacture of such an expensive gun but it is what it is. Polish the edges, use Super Lube silicone grease and assemble the gun using care not to pinch an o-ring and the gun should be trouble free for years.

So I've started to strip my Impact down to try and figure out where the leak was coming from and found this when I removed the valve pin / valve stem which doesn't look right so can someone tell me if it is right and if there's suppose to be a gap where I've arrowed (red) or is the white o ring suppose to sit there? If the o ring doesn't sit there where's it come from?

Mine's the top picture and the bottom picture's off Ernest's website of another valve pin / valve stem which looks different to mine.

1565560260_16314615665d508dc462d853.81878481_1.jpg
1565560273_1253679655d508dd141b498.42701242_cdn.gif

You have a defective valve stem assembly. Call FX and tell them the symptoms, and what you found, email the picture to them as well. They should send you a new valve stem assembly at that point. BTW, you have the updated valve housing. On another note, take a closer look at the valve seat. It may be dented and marked up from the valve stem assembly rod failure, so you may nee another valve seat as well.