Fx Impact & Air-fective moderator.

Martin Rutherford at RAW built a moderator for my LV rifle. I was a competitor at the U.S. Nationals last weekend. Everyone near my bench thought my rifle was broken. They would hear a click and thought I was having problems Lol. Hell, I took 6th place with Santa Anna winds! I don't know how many decibels or what ever, but this rifle is quiet. And Martin Rutherford is a master craftsman, to say the least.
​I am waiting for another setup for my HV rifle from Neil Clague. I have heard great things about this man and I am a backyard friendly kind of shooter, so Neil....

​I have had more than a few good quality moderators in my day. Some of them really help improve accuracy as well, as did the Moderator that Martin built for my LV. Two birds with one stone sometimes. Real quiet and more accurate.

BenSeagerI have airfective on both of my barrels .22 and .30 and they are amazing. If i had to put a number to it its 40 maybe 50 percent quieter in .30 they both work and I love them!

.22 setup I agree is a lot quieter as there is substantially more volume for air to be trapped, compared to the FX shroud. I reconfigured my .22 setup to make it even quieter.

I don't have .30 so no comment.

I have an Airfective shroud/moderator on my impact in .25 and it is definetly better than the telescopic shroud. I got the mdoerator in .30 though so i can use it when my .30 kit arrives so in theory, the exit is "too large" for a .25 but works great.
Now is a Huggett better? I would hope so as the Magna in .30 is more than 5 times the cost of the AF moderator.

"Gmg"Ekhm. How much hugget costs? 500 pounds/600$? Ok. I will pass the hugget then.
No the Huggetts dont cost that much. The magna which is the one i originally wanted is the only one that comes in .30 and that is around 150-190£ outside GB, but the smaller ones are cheaper.
But i payed around 1/5 of the huggett magna for my AF moderator (not including shroud) and it works fine.

Its allready silent enough for backyard shooting and the pigeons/crows seems to drop fine with this setup so is the extra cost worth it. Thats up to everyone else.

For hunting purposes AF setup on .25 is decent. For discrete backyard target shooting, I wouldn't recommend it unless Liam changes the internals of the moderator.

After a lot of testing, for .25 all I can suggest is fabricating 2x 26mm OD/8mm bore plain baffles, some sound absorbing material and make 3 sections in the extending shroud (making it fixed per se). It will be quieter than AF. I'm using acoustic matt plus acoustic foam combination in there at present.

For .22 setup, yes, AF will be sub-75db at 2 yards and a huge improvement on the stock fX shroud.

"NeilClague"
"Verve"@ gan1hck ... yes, I'm sure, based on my testing and measurements.

@ Neil ... finally you got hold of one! Looking forward to see your design
Got today's work done and ready to ship so I will be working on the Impact tomorrow to see what can be made for it. I am thinking of Trying a 1.5 inch shroud from the back of the air tank forwards with the bottom machined to allow it to go over the air tank. If this works I should be able to keep the overall length down, if not then I will have to go with my regular design that opens up in diameter at the end of the air tank. I will keep you informed of the progress and results, Neil.

As you have the whole airgun to work on, do you think it would be possible to machine an adapter to drop the air tank down a little to make room for a larger diameter LDC without extending the length too much? Just a thought as it sounds easier than making an offset shroud like on the Edgun.

"Verve"For hunting purposes AF setup on .25 is decent. For discrete backyard target shooting, I wouldn't recommend it unless Liam changes the internals of the moderator.

After a lot of testing, for .25 all I can suggest is fabricating 2x 26mm OD/8mm bore plain baffles, some sound absorbing material and make 3 sections in the extending shroud (making it fixed per se). It will be quieter than AF. I'm using acoustic matt plus acoustic foam combination in there at present.

For .22 setup, yes, AF will be sub-75db at 2 yards and a huge improvement on the stock fX shroud.
i think i will try to make modifications, as you mentioned. Will see the result.

A tip for simple noise reduction.

The first silencer I ever did was a temporary solution I made just to test a .22 rifle indoors.

I took a PVC pipe about one inch in diameter.
Then I took a piece of carpet, the type that are used indoors to cover the whole floor.
Glues or sometimed taped.
Similar to this,
but the bottom was not as in the picture. The bottom layer was some kind of white foam aprox. 5mm thick.
Its there so the carpet doesnt slide on the floor,
Same type of foam are used in halloween masks sometimes. 
Cut a strip as wide as the innerdiameter circumferance of the tube and just feed the strip into the tube.
With the foam against the inner surface of the tube, and the fabric inwards.

This was 25 years ago.
Since then I have bought silencers , manufactured silencers with washers and springs, fabric,and aluminum mesh.
So far I have never encounterd a silencer better than that first test I did when I was seventeen.
Filling a shroud or silencer like I described above worked better than any acustic material, foam or baffles that I have tried so far.
Try it
First time right :)

SWE you think if manufacturers made something like this customers would buy them? As effective as you think that was it would be fairly heavy and would be totally unacceptable for a maker to use for products he sells, what we make has to work and be appealing to customers, they would not be very happy if they looked inside an LDC they purchased and see a piece of rolled up carpet inside it. For someone on a budget it might work and you might find that what you did at seventeen and thought was fantastic back then is not as good today stacked up against the modern ones on sale. I hope some members try your suggestion but it is not something that could be used by makers. Thanks for posting it, Neil.

I don´t expect people to be satisfied with finding a carpet inside their custom made silencers.
It was a tip for amateurs who likes to experiment. Not a suggestion to manufacturers.

Accidently burned the inside of a Weihrauch silencer by "mistake".
Ripped out the internals and used my magic carpet since the original insert where ruined anyways.

Made the silencer not more than maybe 20g heavier but notable more quit than before the accident.

And that was recent, with latest Weihrauch model
Just saying.