FX Impact 700mm moderator question

Hello, everyone. Need some help from you guys. Just got a new Impact 700mm and a DonnyFL Ronin to go with it and seems like the Ronin is making the barrel droop a tiny bit under its weight . Is that bad? It seems like the barrel is so long it’s very easy to make move with just slight pressure, even without the moderator on. Haven’t even shot it yet, didn’t want to use the Ronin in case I need to get a smaller one. Thanks for your help

I'd say as long as you are able to get your scope zero to intersect the pellet trajectory then you should be fine. Worst case scenario you can get some adjustable scope mounts like the fx no limit rings to compensate. 

The same thing happened with my 700mm x barrel in.30. However i had the donny fl emperor on it(massive ldc). I lost about 5 moa worth of adjustment due to the extra weight on the barrel. However, it was not a problem with adjustable rings.

I tried a Ronin on my Crown, and it wasn't a happy experience. I could never get it to shoot as well as just extending the shroud.

Of course the Impact has barrel support that the Crown doesn't but I'd have to think something that big and heavy just has to affect barrel harmonics. But people do it successfully, so what do I know...lol

Fuko is absolutely right about the adjustable rings, and I would add that you should have them even with the stock FX moderator, if you shoot at longer distances. Your scope will thank you.

I think this is normal. I own a new Crown and it was a bit too loud for backyard use, so I made a moderator and mounted it using a DonnyFL adapter. The moderator is 8" long and weighs 354 grams. Without moderator the muzzle velocity is 940 fps with the JSB 25.4 grain pellet. With the moderator the velocity drops to 900 fps and the POI dropped down and to the left 3.5 CM at 20 meters. The accuracy did not change. The grouping is the same, but with a different zero. This is not a problem with me.

Is your barrel shroud tight? If not turn it clockwise until it stops with good tension. The Ronin should not make it sag at all.

Checked and the shroud seems fine.

The barrel doesn’t sag much, barley noticeable really. I don’t have calipers so instead stacked playing cards in the gap between the shroud and bottle to measure. It took 3 more cards to fill in the gap when the moderator is off. So at the muzzle I bet it’s only like 1/16 to 1/8 in. low, which is fine by me as long as accuracy isn’t affected. You can really feel the weight of the Ronin on such a long barrel, I’m thininking about going with the Sumo for weight reduction but also want it to be as quiet as possible. Hmmm