• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact .35 not suited for .22 barrel???

Hi everyone 👋

My name is William, I'm from the Netherlands, new to the Forum and new to PCP air rifles. I would like to ask for help regarding the new FX Impact .35.

I ordered the new FX Impact .35, which is supposed to arrive the coming week.

I thought the .35 together with a smaller .22 cal. barrel kit (which i would buy later) would be the best deal. But calling with our local importer he told me that the .22 barrel would not work with the new .35 😳 Because of the power upgrade the .35 got, and it simply being too powerful such a big caliber change. Even the .25 might not be possible (without extensive modifications). They tried the .30 cal and that worked, but was quite the challenge (according the local FX importer) as they had to power it down as far as they could (by hand) to get it to shoot right. 

If anyone can shed a light on this, it would be greatly appreciated 🙌

Thanks from a newbie across the pond 🙏 😊

I don’t see why you can’t? I mean, adjust the reg to like 50-60 bar and then adjust the power wheel to the desired fps of the pellet or slugs you’re shooting out of it. That wouldn’t be my first choice of caliber swaps to be honest. To much to swap between calibers, but it would make good, easy power With slugs in a 700mm in .22 cal. I know they’re running .30 calls at like 90 bar, and I could see the .22 at like 50-60 bar to shoot pellets, maybe 60-80 bar to shoot slugs in the 50-60 fpe range. 

Thanks for all the input guys 👊

If there is anyone out there with any hands on experience, I would love to know more... 

Indeed, what Krale said (or one of the guys working there who mainly shoots powder burners) was that it is not possible by hand (so without opening it up changing hammer etc.).
And I understand that undoing the changes done to create the power upgrade would allow you to shoot .22 again. But all this kinda defeats the purpose of an exchangeable barrel system. And so I wonder, is this truly the case? 

And... If there would be more modifications needed than just a barrel change to get it to .22. What are they exactly? AND Is the effort and extra cash spend (with a barrel kit alone costing 375 euro) not better spend buying a semi automatic Altaros Assassin (or another quality semi auto). Just thinking out loud here 😁 😉

Seriously though I still want the .35 but I am wondering what is possible and at what cost. So to anyone who knows, please shed some light 🙏😊

I saw a Jon video recently saying that .35 has a stronger spring and heavier hammer. 

You can use the normal spring and hammer for .22 and also you can use the old rubber ball like Ernest show in this video so you can close the valve faster

https://youtu.be/YDjxW8vYk9g

Didn't have time to watch that video earlier, but wow! That Ernest is one awesome dude 😄 Thank you for sharing 👊

This be the rubber ball trick I suppose: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHqJICip3mw

I think it has something to do with the porting. Smaller calibers have smaller ports. Maybe they do not match up with the larger ports on the larger caliber frames ???

.35 barrelkits are becoming available for all the Impacts so porting is not the problem. 

Like somebody said earlier, lower the regulator to 50/60 bars and you should be okay.

To answer you question box stock you will need to tune way down for .22. And I would not. I would keep it stock and shoot hot .25.

I just shot my new .35 FX Impact. My first observation is WOW does this caliber kick. Shooting loose like in Ted's vid is not recommended. Fresh out of the case, factory tuned the spread was only 4 fps with JSB .35 at 100 yards bracing with my shoulder on a Accu-Tec FC G2 average 868 fps on setting A, 2 inches. Max at 881 fps not as accurate. At 200 yards 3 inches. The flyers are dramatic. I think the flyers are more about the weight and quality of the pellet. I swear I could see a wobble in the flyers. I will tune it after I put 200-300 rounds through it.

My 700mm Slug .25 36gr Nielson dimples came in at 1165 fps on E with 5 fps spread. Good results considering my competition .25 Impact pushed these dimples at 720 tuned for .25 25gr pellets not slugs. Have not tried .22 and my thinking is the hammer hits hard, I don't know how fragile the valve on the power plenum is. And, I don't need to know. I got into the .35 as a .35 hunter, .30 competition, and a heavy slug gun.

Overall I am very happy with the gun. The factory tune is awesome. My expectations have been met. The 800mm points standing unsupported well and feels balanced. The 800mm barrel needs tripod support at the end of the bottle or further out. Saber Tactical Arca will be my 1st mod. I can't weight to get my hands on the FX .35 hybrid, I have a feeling with this slug, this may be the holy grail of slug guns.

I'd check to make sure the reg can handle going lower than 90 bar, which is pretty low. If it was me going that route and I wanted to shoot 22 caliber pellets at normal speeds, I'd go for a 500mm barrel and run a higher pressure.

Sub 12 fpe models in the UK do 50-90 bar.

sub 12 are different story rifles reg set in factory for 50-60 bar valve turned in to the lowest setting light weight hammer and different spring 

Like bob says I cannot go lower like 90bar as well on my dreamline & impact 

Great stuff guys! 👊

Very nice to get feedback from someone with actual hands on experience shooting the beast. Thank you Luxurycat! 🙏 😊

All the feedback and suggestions have made me reconsider. My thoughts now are to go for a .25 cal 600 mm barrel. The shorter barrel should help slow things down a bit while the slightly bigger and heavier projectile (.25 cal over .22) would be able to handle the power better. And if this, with the basic down-tuning, will not be enough... I might just try the different spring-and-rubber-ball trick from Ernest. 

Like this one would get great versatility. A manoeuvrable rifle you can walk around with in the woods, shoot more rounds with per fill, for less money per projectile. And a canon for the zombie apocalypse 😎 😆

Gonna pick up the canon real soon. Too bad the slug liner (superior heavy) isn't out yet. I've read some things about the different FX liners, which mention that the different liner for pellets and slugs might be more due to marketing then actual necessity. And that some barrels (Tj's custom, Lothar Walther) shoot both just fine. I get the idea behind the different twist rates for heavier projectiles, but am intrigued by people shooting both pellets and slugs just fine with one barrel. Any thoughts on that? Maybe someone doing great at 100+ yards with just one barrel shooting both slugs and pellets?

Oh, and for the bipod I'm gonna try to make an extension myself. I ordered some carbon tubing, detachable weaver mount, etc. Let's see what that does 😄

Thanks again guys and have a great day 👋

William,

thank you for your post and the great replies from everyone! I am eager to see your results and feedback when you get your FX! I too am wanting to exactly the same, a FX Impact .357 and a lower caliber .25 barrel to convert it to a lower caliber when I want to plink, etc. with lower power. Please post pictures and your results when you have them!