• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact .30 cal FPS

I for one, appreciate the fact that you're pushing the gun to see what it can do! I'm the same way. My Maverick(modded) topped out at almost that exact same power level in .30 with the 65.5 grain and the reg at 180 bar. In GA, it is legal to hunt deer and other large game with a .30 and above air gun. So yep, that much power does matter to me. FWIW, you could always install the Huma extra high pressure regulator. I replaced both of my Maverick regs with them. Those are good to 200-210 bar. Of course, the next question will come down to having the hammer strike to take full advantage of those higher pressures. The fact that I can have one gun capable of almost any game animal here is a pretty big deal. I don't have the extra cash to have one gun for each different task. Also, when I'm hunting, I usually get 1 shot. As long as the gun will consistently do solid 5 shot groups, then it would be good in my book. I feel like 10 shot groups are much more a test of the shooter, rather than the gun. I'm not knocking anyone who choses to stick with 10 shot groups, mind you.

I'm using the Superior Heavy liner, and it loves the 54.5 grain in the 950 fps range, but I haven't tested them faster than that. They could get less accurate at higher speeds, but I don't know on my gun yet. I can say one thing for sure though. When deer season comes back around, I will take full advantage of every bit of power my gun can offer in .30 ;)

Thanks Rallyshark, I am impressed you were able to get the maverick to those specs, how do you like the Maverick over impact? What distance do you usually take for a deer with the .30cal. Or what ftlbs will you not go under? All though more often then not its more about the shot placement then the power but curious on your thoughts as I also would like to deer hunt. Unfortunately its not legal in Kansas yet. ,I will have to check out the reg from huma as that is about the only thing I haven't changed, I read a lot of reviews stating that most of the newer regs from the MK2 are just as good as huma? I wonder if that is true?

As for hunting-

If I could get to 150ftslbs, I know I would feel good taking a shot at about 200 yards as it is hitting with 100ftlbs at that distance and I know how accurate my gun is. The problem is I just have not pushed the reg that high but since you talked about huma being able to handle it I will diffidently try them out. I have the hammer weight for more reg but just too scared to break my 3k investment lol.

I also completely agree with your statement ; "I feel like 10 shot groups are much more a test of the shooter, rather than the gun." 

I can't say how I like my Maverick compared to the Impact, because I haven't had a lot of personal hands on time with the Impact. I do absolutely love my Maverick so far though. The Huma extra high pressure regs would definitely be the way to go, if you want to push the limits. I don't know that I'd fully trust the FX regs much past 170 bar. I think you'll start to see a bit more creep out of them past that. I just look at the factory regs for my gun as backups, should I need one in a tight. The Huma regs also come with an extra sealing disc too. I'd rather just use the Huma, and know for sure that the reg can handle the very high set points if needed, and not worry about it.

Fortunately, we can also use air guns during primitive weapons season in GA too, so I intend to put it to the test when that time rolls around! It's hard to say what I would limit myself to in the fpe department in .30 just yet. I want to do some more penetration testing etc., prior to deer season, before I make that decision. I will say a .22 making 70 fpe will probably penetrate about as far as .30 making 90-ish fpe. A small bore will always out penetrate a larger caliber at the same power, assuming all other factors are equal. I dropped a 200+lb boar with a .177 shooting at 45 fpe with 18 grain slugs, so I know placement is everything. 

See here: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/tiny-bullet-huge-hog/page/2/?view=all#post-900941

I think the power limit will depend on where I intend to shoot the target critter. I think I would want to try and have at least 95-100 fpe on impact for a heart lung shot on a deer, but a head shot would require less. I don't want to go too far into that, since this isn't the hunting section ;) The real key factor there would be absolute accuracy, intimate knowledge of anatomy, and hitting exactly where you intend to. I'm pretty sure I would try and limit myself to 50 yards for the most part on a whitetail to be darn sure. If I take a shot, I intend to collect what I shot at. That's just part of being a responsible hunter, imo. Could you do it at 100 yards? Sure, but with these power levels(even 150 fpe), shot placement becomes critical. I would only try a longer shot than 50 under very special circumstances. I'm not in it to wound anything, and that's a lot of food that can go in the freezer :)

RallyShark- 

Wow I am impressed with your hog take down! I cant believe that .177 was that clean of a kill. I will be looking forward to hear more about your hunting with airguns after you go. Also looks like I will be purchasing some Huma regulators in the near future. Thanks for your input!

MtnGost - 

Thanks for the input on the speed, I guess I haven't been able to reach those speeds yet. I am curious if the superior heavy shoots any better at those speeds as that is my current set up. From what I understand it is made for the heavier slugs at higher speeds, I guess it has a higher twist rate but not 100% on that.

Yeah, I'll probably never top that .177 hog hunt. It was one heck of a rush pulling it off though :D At the time, I didn't have a barrel that was happy with any slugs heavier than the now extinct 18 gr NSAs. Now, I have two different barrels that handle slugs from 22-24 grains, should I want to try it again. If you ever want a .177 slug barrel, Alfa Precision is the way to go!

I can't comment on how the Superior Heavy would behave with the 65.5 grain past 950 fps, since my gun just doesn't have the juice to go past that speed with them. I may be able to get it a bit faster, but I'd have to push the Huma regs closer to 200 bar. I don't really think it would be worth it for me though. I mean 130 fpe can pretty much do anything 140 fpe can do at the distances I would likely use that power at. I say that now, but I may change my tune later on, lol. I can tell you the Superior Heavy does love the 54.5 grain, if you wanted to gain some speed. It shoots those as good as anything else to tell the truth. The 54.5 is my chosen ammo most of the time in .30, because I don't have to push the gun very hard with them, and the shot count is decent in the 110 fpe range using those. I did the carbon fiber on the liner with the .30 as well. A superior Heavy liner would be an easy thing to swap out and test with your gun, should you want to give it a go :)