FX Impact .22 MKII Accuracy Issue

Greetings,

As the title suggests, my Impact has an accuracy issue that I have not been able to solve. The potential for single hole groups is there, but every time I think I've made some progress with adjustments/tweaks, it disappoints me by throwing pellets out and away from my target dots. Sometimes they land high, other times low. Sometimes to the right, and sometimes to the left.There seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to where the pellets will end up.

I think I've tried every possible combination of hammer spring tension, reg pressure, and valve adjuster to no good effect. I've replaced the barrel liner. I've tried different pellets, I've replaced the chamber o ring. I've taken any possible wobble out of the barrel liner. I've tried high velocity and low velocity. Right now I'm at about 850 fps with the 18 gr. JSB pellets. STILL the flyers persist.

Honestly. I've spent far more hours working on this rifle than I care to admit. At $2000 a pop, I expect that I should be able to place pellets on top of one another with reasonable certainty at 30 yards, yet that goal remains elusive. So far, after having shot close to 7,000 pellets, I'm right where I started.

Am I being unreasonable?

So, Airgun nation brain trust, what say you? What am I doing wrong?

I suppose I should also mention that I'm not new to shooting or airguns. Been doing both for a very long time.

I have a MKII also in .22. But I am using slugs in a slug liner. I will get great performance for a while. I’m talking about under 1/2” groups at 50yards and under 1” at 100(when the wind cooperates). Then all of a sudden I can’t keep any groups at any distance. The barrel gets dirty and all performance goes out the window. A quick cleaning and the great groups come right back. A few hundred slugs later and it starts over again. I’ve never had a pellet rifle that requires as much cleaning maintenance as this one. 

Maybe try a more aggressive cleaning routine than you are used to with your other air rifles. Might help.

Check hammer wheel screw adjustment! I can't keep mine tight.

I've had this accuracy problem since I got my 25. 3 yrs. now. Ex. Yesterday, 147 yds, 10 shots in a row inside a pellet tin. Reg. 110 wheel 1@ 890. Took a break, started again on new tin, all around the may pole but no ribbon. Could be me. Annie has repeatedly shot pellet on pellet @ 100 yds and then space rangers. Usually 3-4" max. I think it's impacts, and in my case, pushing them beyond their limits in the standard format. NEVER trust FX gauges! 

Considering wildcat III 25 or 30. My 3 yr old mark1 22 is a killer. I just don't get jollies in 22!

With your description that they land in all directions it sounds like maybe the pellets are spiraling out of control and start these crazy loops, you should watch videos from Ted's holdover and Matt Dubber where they talk about that.

They show slow mo videos of it happening, maybe you should try and film your pellets to see what is going on.

Also what Kgphotos said above is true, cleaning the barrel very often keeps consistency.

Good luck.

Clean barrel 

shoot with single shot trey

shoot with no moderator

check to see if everything is torqued correctly, barrel, liner, probe....

check pellet speed with chrono to make sure regulator is working 

try a different scope and make sure parallax is set correctly

No issues with accuracy with my impact in both .22 and .25, when wind picks up the .25 and .22 slugs wins hands down.

Hey there Phillip,

BOY, DO I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

I have identical issues and have tried everything as well. I just built a sled/vise/rest so that i can isolate the rifle from any outside interference or shooter error with regards to POI. Mine (Impact MK2, 700 mm, .22, no power plenum) will shoot pellet on pellet groups and then all of a sudden, oops, new POI with great groups. It definitely would change POI when going from one magazine (A) to the next (B). If I switched from magazine (A) to mag (B) and back to (A), 3 different POI. 

Someone suggested taking my barrel off and reseating it, which I did. I then placed it on to my shooting sled which holds the gun in place from the bipod rail via quick disconnect adapter. This time I used 5 different magazines (A-E) and shot 5 different 5-shot groups in different order of rotation, topped off air tank before rotation and found 2 interesting results.

1. I think that the reseating of the barrel helped tremendously as I had no issues with crazy POI shifts and

2. Realized that each individual magazine affects grouping of pellets. All magazines' POI were true but with different sized groups. Thus far magazine E has the tightest groups.

Further testing to come...I'm gonna add 2 more magazines (F and G) and tether my talk to my Impact so that I can have a long string shot without refilling. My plan is to rotate order of magazines so that all 7 have a chance to rotate through the order. ie...A-G, B-A, C-B, D-C and so on.

I hope this helps.

Guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I certainly appreciate any and every comment. I have to admit that I had not considered that the magazine might be a factor. I took a close look at it today and noticed an area where skirts might be damaged upon being pushed out. I will also endeavor to clean more often. I clean frequently, but perhaps not frequently enough. Rest assured, I will look carefully at each area of concern mentioned by all who posted.

Thank you for the valuable input,

Phillip