FX Hybrid Slugs

So...

Shot a few more slugs today after work.

First thing I did was shoot a few JSB 18s to re-confirm the difference in velocity to the new slugs.

Yep, right around 895-900 FPS.

OK, drop a mag of slugs in. Shot 3 concecutive groups. Slugs still traveling at around 790 PFS.

Here they are along with a couple groups with JSB 18s that I shot last weekend. Tiny breeze that day. Not much.

It was almost dead calm today after work. 75 yards off two bags and a very sturdy (lol) Ikea kitchen table.

All groups are 5 shots.

Target was full so I went out and replaced it.

What the hell... I'll shoot one more group.

Then this happened.

Here is the .22 shorty.

Okay guys I just got done testing the new FX slugs out of my daystate Huntsman XL I know that is a low-power gun but I still had high hopes. My gun hated them I wouldn't even call it a group. My average for 10 shots was 586 ft per second. By the way my gun absolutely loves the jsb Hades and it shot them today at 889 feet per second which is 40 feet per second lower than my summer velocity. They chamber incredibly hard in my gun so I assume they're very tight and that's why the velocities are so low. By the way I was using labradar so I could do velocities all the way out to 50 yards and at 586 the ballistic coefficient is .062 out of my gun. By the way the group from the Hades was more than 1/2 inch but less than an inch at 50 yards and they are pretty devastating on Timber Tigers I can attest to that I put 75 down this year. It looks like the FX slugs feel the need for speed so hopefully you guys that can push them faster will have better luck than I did

I agree. I think they crave speed.

Matt

I'd say not that bad for that short barrel at 75 yards! Almost as good as the 18 JSBs.

Maybe a good cleaning and try again ?

I've been shooting slugs out of my Veteran long for a while now and it needs a few tight patches pulled through about every 100 shots or so to keep accuracy on par....

My latest venture has been NSA 17.5 grain and have to seat them in past flush in the mag to keep these little shorties from falling out but the accuracy is fonominal! Was just smashing sparrows the other day at 75/80 yards. Anyway my FX hybrids should be here tomorrow and we'll give em a go....

James from Michigan 

I'd say not that bad for that short barrel at 75 yards! Almost as good as the 18 JSBs.

Thanks, James. I had 5 really nice trigger pulls in a row there. Doesn't happen like that for me very often lol.

Can't wait to see how you and Christian and others do with them.

Especially at higher velocities and in guns with longer barrels.

Matt

No wind this morning. Shot some more slugs at 75 yards.

Pretty much going to conclude that these slugs are not a good match for my gun.

For me it was a fun little experiment and answered some questions for me.

I've heard it said and seen it written many times that the .22 Veteran shorty was designed to shoot the JSB 18.

The more pellets (and now slugs) I experiment with the more I believe the above statement.

That said I really do believe in this JSB slug. I think we are going to see some amazing stuff from guys with higher powered

platforms that can move these things at the higher speeds that I think they crave.

James from Michigan, I bet you're Veteran long will love them. Can't wait to see your report.

Did they arrive at your door yet?

Matt

Well I was surprised to see that they shoot a little slower than the varmint knocker 24s but accuracy is very good....I also chronied the 24s in warm weather!

860 fps with a 14 mph wind quartering from the right behind me and 44 degrees....two 10 shot groups from the bench at 50 yards! The second group the wind was gusting some but still respectable. 

I'm impressed to say the least and am going to make a trip to the dairy farm this week for sure for some starling and pigeon bashing!!!!
1575829798_19131593745ded412648a9a1.91756528_20191208_131247.jpg

1575829436_5154057515ded3fbc950092.37435100_20191208_131055.jpg
1575829437_14630686905ded3fbd469d47.04191269_20191208_125803.jpg
1575830937_19550281405ded4599a52409.79736008_20191208_134129.jpg

Hi Matt. ( Then this happened ). I'm impressed. Those are 1" squares yes? Have you tried any other brand of slugs? NSA,Varment Knockers. H&N. If you have a pair of 0 to 1" micrometers they would be more accurate to use than dial calipers. Dial calipers have a fudge factor of +/- .002.It should be in the paperwork accompanying the tool. And that's with quality brands like Starret and Mititoyu.They usually read a little better than that but they can't reliably read to tenths of a thousandth. I use to be a machinist and handled these tools all day long. Anyhoo,thanks for posting your experience with the FX slugs.

HeyU

Thanks and yes those are 1" squares. Had 5 nice trigger breaks in a row there.

These are the only slugs I have ever tried. I thought it would be a fun experiment and maybe, just maybe I'd get lucky and my shorty would like the JSB Hybrids. But nope, it didn't. No big deal. I had fun doing it 👍

Mics? Yes I have a full set of Starrett micrometers and I do use them when I need them.

Interapid indicators, gauge blocks, all that stuff.

I also have an Etalon 6" caliper and it's money. Good to less than +/- .0005" all day long.

How do I know that? I check it against a standard at least once a day.

I also pick up other people's calipers every chance I get. Paper weights.

Thanks for the constructive criticism though 😃 I appreciate it!

Right now I'm working on some Inconel* rocket engine details for Jeff Bezos's other company Blue Origin.

Neat stuff. Check it out.

Matt

https://www.blueorigin.com/engines/be-4

1576014746_16908349695df0139a3bce48.47215330_BlueOrigin_BE4_Diagram.jpg

* https://www.americanspecialmetals.com/InconelAlloys.html

They do look good and are getting good initial reviews. Here’s what I suggest, especially for those that have been shooting other brands of slugs for a while, and not those who this is their first and only slug experience (since you have no basis for comparison). 

Lets allow a few weeks to go by so the new-ness wears off and they have shot more than a few. Then ask the question, are they better than the slugs you’ve been using, and show test data proving your statement, (positive or negative). I’m sure we’d all appreciate that vice just going on hype.

That’s a smart suggestion, CC.