FX hybrid slugs terminal performance

Hiya Kids!

Soooo, due to what I thought was poor terminal performance with the 22grn hybrid out of the Brocock at only 680fps I was forced to buy another Impact.

It's not completely tuned yet, but at the ranges I'm shooting today (less than 35 yards) it's much more accurate than the Brocock, as you would expect.

I'm shooting the slugs somewhere between 935fps and 972fps. The spread is horrid, but I'll sort that out.

While I was adjusting my NoLimit rings a squirrel thought it should have lunch from the pile of sunflower seeds that had mysteriously appeared right before my 25 yard targets a few days ago.

At any rate I shot the little bugger in the shoulder, breaking his arm, then passing thru his body.

I did not see the explosive expansion I was expecting at the exit wound. In fact there was little difference from what I saw with the Brocock.

I washed the squirrel, and took pics of the impact and exit wounds.

1576782646_13074710995dfbcb36e9f7e1.89591950_20191219_125035.jpg

Exit...

1576782770_3335706625dfbcbb296c412.69592699_20191219_125114.jpg

Hiya Kids!

It's not completely tuned yet, but at the ranges I'm shooting today (less than 35 yards) it's much more accurate than the Brocock, as you would expect.

Why would expect it to be more accurate? My impact is accurate enough but not as accurate as my other guns?

Bb

I'm not sure why you had to interject your snarky comment about my Impact when the topic was about the hybrid terminal performance. Not the first time I've seen you do this either, and it's uncalled for. You should understand that I have had many different brands and for me the FX rifles are best for me. Period.

It's my considered opinion that some people cant drive a Ferrari as good as a Prius.

Interesting... I have popped 3 tree rats with the FX hybrids. When they hit, at about 920 fps, out of my R5M, there has been a very distinct hollow "Thwop", louder and more low pitched than when I've hit them with standard JSB pellets. NSA's sound similar, as do the VK 22gr. I assume they are expanding. Maybe I'll do some cadaveric testing when weather isn't 10 deg out. 

Interesting results, 

I shot 5 big fox squirrels the other day from 30 to 72 yards at 860 fps and not a single pass thru. Loud pop on impact ! Shot from my Veteran long. I'm wondering if maybe these slugs have a sweet spot for expansion? I just received some power tuning goodies and going to test at some higher speeds this weekend....on a side note the accuracy is fonominal! 

James from Michigan 

I’m very interested in finding out how the slugs preform at 20 yards, for dealing with my skunk problem. Polymags don’t fit in the Crown magazine and I’m thinking that the slugs might be better than a regular pellet or a polymag. What does your tuner say about it... or do you just get purring?
1f408.svg

Ge only purrs when he's biting and scratching. He's 12lbs at 6 mos old. Damn Main Coons are way too big to act like small kittens.

After only one day of using the hybrids in the Impact, plus a week or 2 with the Brocock I would suggest using the Hades out to 30 yards, perhaps out to 50 yards. Right now i see no benefit in spending 3 times the money for projectiles with worse terminal performance. 

My thoughts on that are subject to revision after I get my furry tuner to do his job, and I get more time with the new Impact. I especially want to try the slugs in high wind, longer distances, different tunes, and so forth.

After only one day of using the hybrids in the Impact, plus a week or 2 with the Brocock I would suggest using the Hades out to 30 yards, perhaps out to 50 yards. Right now i see no benefit in spending 3 times the money for projectiles with worse terminal performance. 

I agree, I think for ranges over 75yards they could be useful or perhaps larger game/pests