FX Halo Ammunition - Say Goodbye To Pellets

Pellets aren’t being replaced. Plenty of folks need pellets for shortish distances. They also want a projectile that scrubs off speed and energy quickly so as to be safe for shooting in close proximity to sensitive areas.
and lets not forget the springers or maybe there on there way out to. lol. well the more that go to slugs. the more pellets for me. i do hope fx does not stop there brand of pellets.

Last edited:
Reactions: douger
and lets not forget the springers or maybe there on there way out to. lol. well the more that go to slugs. the more pellets for me.
All good points. I don’t predict ever seeing these at your local wal mart sporting goods shelves replacing the Crosman ones.
Hopefully fx completely stocks every FX selling vendor full of these before announcing the release date, and I’m speaking for the smaller vendors like Trenier outdoors. I don’t like it when only the big vendors have supplies and not the smaller shops

When will the average person be able to buy these? I am still waiting on my 800mm .22 tension barrel and that .35 cal slug barrel to come in.
I sold my impact. I got pissed at waiting for there long awaited promises. Seems like they put stuff out there for Duber and Utah to rub in our faces. Then drag it along so all the monkeys get inline with pre orders. I've been waiting 4 months for a tungsten hammer weight and upgraded power block. Then find out I had a unbranded power . Ya fx does innovate. But it gets dangled in front of your face. Available should be available. My money is the same color as everyone elses.

Maybe that’s sort of the point? It seems that the design which replicated the pellet but increases the BC will make skirted pellets obsolete. The difference seems to be that you don’t need the high reg. Running and accessories to shoot these. Maybe you do I guess we will see though. I love shooting pellets so I am super excited. With that being said I also do think this will mimic long distance shooting like slugs for pellet shooters which gives pellet shooters wayyyy more options.
It seems like the only reason one could shoot with lower reg pressure is if the slug/pellet was lighter. Isn’t a lighter slug already what the FX hybrids were?

Reactions: ButchS and s_mack
Okay another point/question. I know a lot of people like and want hollow points and apparently the bigger the hollow point the better, but wouldn’t one get a BC from a slug that is not hollow or just a small hollow. For long distance hunting, presumably the hunting slugs would be used for, the BC is important as it means more energy on target and the slugs, over those distances loose a lot of energy. Isn’t there a point when penetration depth becomes more important than expansion? I once read that a populate small handgun cartridges was more effective for personal protection as a FMJ than the hollow point self defense rounds, because with that particular cartridge it need penetration depth more. I would think the same could be said for airgun ammo at longer ranges. This all makes me wonder why no one, that I am aware of, has made a slug that is not hollow point. It would have better BC, better accuracy at distance, better energy on target, and better penetration.

Okay another point/question. I know a lot of people like and want hollow points and apparently the bigger the hollow point the better, but wouldn’t one get a BC from a slug that is not hollow or just a small hollow. For long distance hunting, presumably the hunting slugs would be used for, the BC is important as it means more energy on target and the slugs, over those distances loose a lot of energy. Isn’t there a point when penetration depth becomes more important than expansion? I once read that a populate small handgun cartridges was more effective for personal protection as a FMJ than the hollow point self defense rounds, because with that particular cartridge it need penetration depth more. I would think the same could be said for airgun ammo at longer ranges. This all makes me wonder why no one, that I am aware of, has made a slug that is not hollow point. It would have better BC, better accuracy at distance, better energy on target, and better penetration.

there are non hollow point airgun slugs.

Looks like a short, fat slug with a big HP. BC number are in line with lighter weight slugs.

Interested to see how they perform at slower 'pellet' speeds. Folks'll still have to turn up the rifles to hit the mid-900+. Just not quite as much. Unless they're not designed for high speed?

Maybe with this new release announced means I'll finally get my hands on the tungsten hammer and power block... 😂

Reactions: john8
Looking ahead, I am curious if any changes to the RMAC and EBR rules will be made to allow for the use of these. I could’ve sworn there was wordage on the shape of the diablo pellet being the requirement?

Hopefully when these are released they come either in single packs of a 100 like the hybrid slugs or even better, in brick form of a 1000 like when buying powder burner primers, with a lower cost savings

Hopefully, these will work on the older platforms with the pre side shot style mags(example- rotary mags on the MK1/MK2 Wildcats)

One good thing to look forward to- when the craze hits as soon as these are available, pellets upon pellets may end up in the classifieds like guns do the minute a new fx platform gets released, ha ha
They aren’t pellets, they’re slugs. So as the rules are currently written they are not allowed at RMAC or EBR 100Y BR. The rules would have to be changed to allow slugs in either of those events…

Forgot to share  my new name for them!

I agree with @Centercut that they're slugs--but I'm calling the things pellugs! You cannot get me to call em halos...I get it (I think?) but kind of an odd reference. Or FX wants us all to think of them as "heavenly" 😂

Wait...isn't religious stuff banned on the forums?
Religious discussions are not allowed. This site is not for the discussion of one's faith as we feel that is a private matter best left off the forum.
Granted, it's not a discussion but it's kind of like a forced/implied viewpoint imo, as halo is not a reference that is universally accepted. And I'm failing to see how the pellugs would be linked to the 2nd generally accepted meaning of the word halo:
a circle of white or colored light around the sun, moon, or other luminous body caused by refraction through ice crystals in the atmosphere.

That's it, I win the renaming contest. Long live FX PELLUGS

(PS--mods, I'm just being facetious, but part of me is actually kind of curious on your stance in regard to a product name that has a religious reference/undertone)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tibor

I agree with @Centercut that they're slugs--but I'm calling the things pellugs! You cannot get me to call em halos...I get it (I think?) but kind of an odd reference. Or FX wants us all to think of them as "heavenly" 😂

Religious discussions are not allowed. This site is not for the discussion of one's faith as we feel that is a private matter best left off the forum.
Granted, it's not a discussion but it's kind of like a forced/implied viewpoint imo, as halo is not a reference that is universally accepted. And I'm failing to see how the pellugs would be linked to the 2nd generally accepted meaning of the word halo:
a circle of white or colored light around the sun, moon, or other luminous body caused by refraction through ice crystals in the atmosphere.

(PS--mods, I'm just being facetious, but part of me is actually kind of curious on your stance in regard to a product name that has a religious reference/undertone)

They kind of remind me of the "flying ashtray .45" ammo that may still be available. No comment other than that.

IF (and that is a BIG IF) they are accurate out of the average .177 PCP, then they may have a winner.

If they require a special barrel or a choked or unchoked barrel, then they will never replace the pellet.

As I said, extreme hyperbole for marketing purposes.

The proof will be when/if they release them, the price and what I said above.

Having said all that, in recent tests of JSB and FX pellets in .177/10.3grain, the FX did better and looked better than the JSB. So, they are doing something right there with the single die for each batch. JSB should also sell theirs in single die batches. That IS the ONLY difference!

However, I could never get 1 MOA out of either in my Fortitude or DAR.

Still working on that... (sigh)

M0ist0ne,

your naming effort is appreciated. 👍🏼 "FX Pellugs" ✔️

You won the competition — congrats.
Your prize will be a hat that is round on the top with a button, and a visor at the front and an adjustable back strap in the back. But it's not a baseball cap, no, it's the newly invented FX capt.

Nevertheless, just for completeness sake, here's another candidate for naming the "new" projectile style: the "FX slullet"

Matthias

PS:
Find in the poster below a collection of such pellugs and slullets in variations from around the world:

Slullets – Skirtless Pellets – Or Slugs with Low BC.jpg

I'm excited about the updates from the manufactures. Coming out of left field, like most do, adds to the excitement, anticipation and energy that keeps us all engaged and wiling to spend our hard earned $$$ to have "the next of the best". I'm on board.

Patrick

LOL! Please don't wet yourself in anticipation! (chuckle)

Or turn blue holding your breath! ;)

Reactions: 2L8

It only has religious reference/undertones under the following conditions:
1. FX - Can't get their issues resolved and people blame it on an Act of God
2. When you start shooting them and they group in feet not inches and someone Blames God
3. The wind pushes them around more than expected and someone Blames God

All in fun. :)

Smitty

Last edited:
Reactions: DesertSilver