FX Halo Ammunition - Say Goodbye To Pellets

Pellets aren’t being replaced. Plenty of folks need pellets for shortish distances. They also want a projectile that scrubs off speed and energy quickly so as to be safe for shooting in close proximity to sensitive areas.
Yup, couldn't have said it better.

Nothing against slugs (regardless of what they're named by the marketing department), high BC, long range shooting, or any of that. All have their place, and this new entry will probably find its niche, too. But, replace pellets? Nah. There are many, many airgunners that need exactly what zx10wall described, at least some of the time.

My wild guess is that Axelsson has taken a stake in Patriot (Javelin slugs) and this way gets rid of his rat sniper and fx dependence For their own branded ammunition. Hence Halo’s will be made in South Africa….
In any way these scandinavian guys are good businessmen and I am happy with their drive to develop new stuff and take the airgunworld further.

Well, this thread just exploded with posts....! 😄

No wonder, with the opening line THAT controversial — taking sides in the almost weekly debate if "slugs will replace pellets." 🤣

Of course, we all fell for the marketing hype (why would I be writing this post, otherwise... 🤦🏻‍♂️. Yupp, got. me).

🔹 We just had an urban hunter post about a shot up the second story of a building. He and his kind don't need high BC — in fact, he needs a projectile with a BC of 0.040 or less to assure that when he misses the projectile eventually comes down with a velocity so slow it won't do any damage — not even puncture an eye if it was ever so unlucky to connect with one upon return to earth.
So, we NEED low-BC projectiles — but high-BC projectiles are also greatly useful — in different shooting scenarios, of course. 😊

🔹 Well, looking at the teaser photos what I can see is a huge HP cavity — excellent characteristic of expansion, larger wound channels, more bleeding, less pass-throughs and possible ricochets. I'm digging it (and my prey would, too, I guarantee).
But it's the .30cal we're shown. I'd love to see the HP of a .22cal — as that's the ammo I know....

⭐ So, I have never been an FX fan boy. Sorry.
But... o well, if half of what we've been told comes to pass, I'm mildly interested. Correction: I mean, madly interested.
Because I'm a projectile addict.
•Self-professing.
•Counseling-restistant.
•Failure-proficient (failed twelve different attempts at 12-step programs to beat the addiction).

FX, I'm your man. Bring it on. 😳

Matthias

Well i do have another not yet existing slug liner in mind, but only as FX have flipped off us .177 shooters and not made a slug liner for us, just every other caliber.
But maybe now that they are going to make .177 slugs them self.

But yeah would be interesting to know if these are meant to be shot with the conventional choked barrels, or a slug liner.

Coming soon with FX means we might see them in a year. Can’t see how these are different than hybrids or other slugs.
Maybe that’s sort of the point? It seems that the design which replicated the pellet but increases the BC will make skirted pellets obsolete. The difference seems to be that you don’t need the high reg. Running and accessories to shoot these. Maybe you do I guess we will see though. I love shooting pellets so I am super excited. With that being said I also do think this will mimic long distance shooting like slugs for pellet shooters which gives pellet shooters wayyyy more options.

Looking forward to another innovative product from FX (like others say: the Tesla of the airgun industry)!

Some things to keep in mind:
1. need to have it in the stores by the fall, not like many other FX products still languishing somewhere
2. must be uniform quality: so not having to size and weight up to 100 yard distances
3. need some sort of a guide on the type of (FX) barrel(s) to use with as to remove any doubts about having an optimum shooting platform setup for this particulate sluglet (slug-(pel)let)

Reactions: ram2jeep
It's more about shooting accurately at standard regulator pressures and the same tuning as pellets. Slugs with high BC are incredible (just check out what the 40gr .22 Cal was doing at RMAC Precision in that crazy wind this year), but you have to push higher reg pressures and less shots per fill. Not everyone wants to shoot that way versus the convenience, economy (price and air effeciency), and effect of pellets... just with double the BC of pellets.

Hope that helps clarify. It's going to be really fun to see what you guys think when these hit the market!!!
How about sending a average backyard pellet shooter some for a review

Has anyone ( besides cheap old me) considered the increased cost? One of the reasons I got into air gunning and willing to pony up for the gun & gear,
Was the cost of ammo would HELP offset the original outlay.
I'll wager that the Halos will cost more than the Hybrids, which are pretty expensive to start with. The cost of rimfire ammo isn't so bad now.

Reactions: s_mack
Fx when you say similar to pellets in price do you mean for the same amount of pellets? For example: Jsb 18.1 gr pellets 500 per tin for $19.99 or will it be something like $19.99 for 250 FX "halo"?
FX Hybrids are around $15 per 100. Pellets come in 500 piece tins. Pellets work fine under 100 yards.

Reactions: mercado and Mr.H
Looking ahead, I am curious if any changes to the RMAC and EBR rules will be made to allow for the use of these. I could’ve sworn there was wordage on the shape of the diablo pellet being the requirement?

Hopefully when these are released they come either in single packs of a 100 like the hybrid slugs or even better, in brick form of a 1000 like when buying powder burner primers, with a lower cost savings

Hopefully, these will work on the older platforms with the pre side shot style mags(example- rotary mags on the MK1/MK2 Wildcats)

One good thing to look forward to- when the craze hits as soon as these are available, pellets upon pellets may end up in the classifieds like guns do the minute a new fx platform gets released, ha ha

Last edited: