FX FX Gauge Seal? "X-Ring" or Other

FX Dreamlite Regulator Gauge Seal failed ( air is leaking from threads).
FX Part Number 19762 ( X-ring 3.63 x 2.62 NBR 70 )
Has anyone tried another type of seal with success?

I have considered making a "crush ring" from copper, but am concerned about being able tighten the gauge enough to seal. The gauge is a "hex" around the bezel or frame of the gauge.

While the X-ring is the OEM choice, I successfully used a standard O-ring of same size when I did not have a X-Ring handy, then promptly forgot about it and it lasted until I changed to a new type gauge when I fitted a X-Ring. No issues.

IMHO. Worst case if O-ring blows is that air will escape from rifle. The O-ring is just a seal, it is not a retaining safety device. You will probably get a fright if it goes while shooting from the sound of escaping air!!

x2 on a standard round cross-section O-ring being fine in this application. I see no meaningful advantage to using an X-ring here. Granted it will compress to seal to a slightly smaller diameter…meaning the gauge threads will see less axial force, but there’s no way FX would rely on such a thing for safety factor.

The advantage of using a plastic seal is it will last indefinitely, whereas most common elastomers (Buna-N, polyurethane, etc.) degrade over time. Viton is an exception.

I ordered replacement X-Ring seals from orings and more.
Years ago my FX Suoerswift was going through gauges left and right. If the gage didn’t leak it was the threads. Ended up making a copper crush washer and it’s been there for 18+ years. The Superswift gauge has an accessible hex right above the threads so one can tighten the gauge with some inch pounds.
Hopefully the seals I ordered will work.

Hand tight is plenty when installing a gauge against an elastomer seal. Technically you could stop as soon as the gauge barely squeezes the seal. Once the system is pressurized, the O-ring will expand and conform to the surrounding surfaces to form a seal, and the load of the pressure putting an axial force on the threads will prevent the gauge from turning or backing off.

In a pinch I’ve double stacked an o ring over an x ring, especially when I need/want to orient the gage face a certain way.

On problem gages that won’t seal to any type X ring or o ring, my emergency back up has always been black teflon tape on the threads and a thin coat of blue Nylog. Nylog comes in blue or red, and is used on o rings and gaskets in the hvac refrigeration industry. Never dries hard, takes high temps well, and is very elastic. It also keep o rings conditioned. A tiny drop of it will easily cost the entire thread length on a gage.

So I use this emergency concoction along with an x ring in place. I’ve been applied Nylog to the x ring itself to help create a better seal. Also works great on the rubber of Dowty seals

Interesting my Panthera just started leaking after i changed the bottle (full)
I removed the gauge and inspected the ring, looks fine. Oiled and reinstalled, same one bottle to another it gave out again .. not sure why a bottle change affects it… sudden rush of PSI?
I did try a couple random rings i had but nothing worked .. still a slow leak. Cleaned and flipped the stock x ring and put back together… again. So far so good.
What size is that x-ring? As far as using a standard o-ring of the same size.

In a pinch I’ve double stacked an o ring over an x ring, especially when I need/want to orient the gage face a certain way.

On problem gages that won’t seal to any type X ring or o ring, my emergency back up has always been black teflon tape on the threads and a thin coat of blue Nylog. Nylog comes in blue or red, and is used on o rings and gaskets in the hvac refrigeration industry. Never dries hard, takes high temps well, and is very elastic. It also keep o rings conditioned. A tiny drop of it will easily cost the entire thread length on a gage.

So I use this emergency concoction along with an x ring in place. I’ve been applied Nylog to the x ring itself to help create a better seal. Also works great on the rubber of Dowty seals

Mine seems to be like that? Wonder the reasoning?

Mine seems to be like that? Wonder the reasoning?
Maybe during the manufacturing process the tunnel for the gage was drilled out too deep? Not allowing the gage to fully seat against the x ring? Have you checked to see if air is leaking out from the actual weep hole on the side or bottom of the gage?

Reactions: nervoustrig
I'm thinking about removing my gauge completely and installing a 1/8" BSPP plug. After the pressure regulator is set there is no reason to have a gauge...
What happens when one of the regulators internal o rings fail, and your reg pressure equalizes to your fill pressure, or if your reg starts to creep? Typically when things start to happen out of the ordinary the reg gage is the first place we look at.
Personally, I would fix what needs fixing and keep your reg gage in place.

Reactions: HogKiller