• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fx gauge is crap

Stock fx gauges. Both read different pressure when off the reg. One would read higher than the other. The gauge for the bottle is reading over 250 bar when my tank feeding it is reading right on 250. I trusted my larger gauge on my tank than these fx gauge which is known to be not accurate. So I took them both out and even with no pressure they are reading different. Smh. Anyone have experience in the new fx gauge..are they more accurate. I don't feel like I have to spend $100 ($50 each) on a wika gauge. When I already spend $2000 plus $120 on Huma reg. Shouldnt have to spend extra. Some probably think oh it's just a gauge, no big deal. Just shoot till the fps drops. Well for someone who likes to tune their gun. I want to know what pressure I am at. It's like driving a car. Do you care is your speed meter is reading correct? I hope so. Turning blind here guessing what pressure I am really at. If the new fx gauge are more accurate and doesn't cost a foot and a arm. I need to get two. How much are they and can we trade in our old fx gauge for a discount?
1558724153_14300361505ce83e394fd0c4.39431219_IMG_20190524_134641.jpg

Notice the swept area of that gauge is right around 50 degrees. This type of gauge is only accurate in the middle of the range as with all analog mechanical gauges. The greater the swept angle and the more towards center the working pressure is the more accurate the reading. These gauges and nearly ALL other PCP gauges are at best a simple indicator! I run 6000 psi gauges on all my 3000 psi working pressure PCP's for best accuracy! When my Impact is full to 250 bar the needle is way above the 250 bar on the guns gauge.

FX's new gauges have a much larger swept area and are vastly more accurate than the current / past crop of gauges. Of course their new electronic gauges will be best of all.

Reactions: Paio
+1 to what T3PRanch explained. 

Also, if you have faulty gauges and you are under warranty, FX USA will replace them for free, and test the gauges before they send them out. They make sure the gauges are within 5 bars (maximum) of accurate pressure. 

The new FX gauges, that are on the Impact MKII, will be available when the MKII upgrade kits are available (in a month or so I believe). There is not set arrival date for the digital gauges, just that they should be out before the end of the year. 

I know the feeling. It's very frustrating to have anything other than a perfect gauge on a multi-thousand dollar gun. All that these gun manufacturers would need to do is make an agreement with the suppliers to return any gauge that's not within tolerance. Then set up a fast and cheap way to test many at a time and separate the bad ones for return. It wouldn't be long before the supplier learns to bring their "A-game" to the line when making these damn things or test them before they ship. Just thinkin' out loud.

Glenn in Texas

Glenn - you make a very good point as well, I agree bad gauges are frustrating and avoidable by manufacturers. Hopefully a process such as the one you describe can become more common in the industry (if not already in place), and gauge quality and reliability improves. I believe it is heading in that direction, just not as fast as it could have. 

In my experience, most of these small gauges on rifles are not much more than indicators. But, once you compare it to a known accurate gauge (hopefully on your tank), they serve the purpose of indicating approximately where you are with air. Yeah, I would prefer them to be accurate, but I don't see that it's worth the expense of trying to find better ones. Given the pressure we are dealing with, I wonder if the manufacturing process is more challenging than, say a bicycle pump gauge, which is much larger, but measures a much lower pressure. May have nothing to do with it, just wondering. Like most things, probably a matter of money.