• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX First regulator pressure??

I have read the different tunes for the M3. Know what FX recommends for my gun and caliber. FX is very open about the settings or tune.

Regulator settings for the first regulator are all over the board on this website.

1. What the optimal pressure differential between the first and second regulator. Percentage or numerically?

2. What difference does it make if my first regulator is at 170 (factory) or 150 or 140 if the rifle shoots accurately?

3. Does it really make any difference in accuracy? Does it really matter in terms of wear?

4. Should I even be concerned given the other available and easy to use adjustments on the M3?

Shu, Good question.

What I have learned over the course of time starting with the Wildcat MK3 and then the Maverick was a 25-30bar difference between regs, at the introduction. Then it changed after many guns and many tunes later the new standard for tunes using up to the 13g hammer weight is a 50bar difference as a set point, again, as a general guild line. Set it and leave it is what I recommend. I have found, as others have too, that a 40+bar difference has a faster recharge and more stable second reg set point. YMMV. No need to constantly be adjusting you first reg every time you need to adjust your second.

Patrick

Setting the regulators too close to each other will slow the refresh rate.

Setting them too far apart may impair the setpoint stability (e.g. output pressure goes up and down with the reservoir, or elevated levels of pressure creep when left idle).

Keeping these two concepts in mind, you will be able to recognize if it’s not working optimally and make the appropriate adjustment.

Regarding the question about wear, each regulator seeing a reduced pressure differential will slow the rate at which their respective seats wear. Considering a decent quality single regulator lasts a long time between service intervals, and that our primary concern is a stable setpoint, my suggestion is to give this aspect near zero consideration when deciding where to set each regulator.