FX Factory Power Plenum or a Dangling Plenum from SPAW? Do Your Balls Hang Low?

Heavy impact I am using as well the plenum from Poland . I am using still the old type of valve seat at 6.8 mm and with 65 gr nsa I am getting 950 f/s . But I have the regulator at 180 bar.( with extra high power huma regulator). My expectations is to reach this speed with less bars on regulator . I bought the new valve house with 6.35 valve seat and I order 2 new Fx plenum kits so I can try to open the valve around 7mm . Still I didn’t try anything of these because I am resident in an other country for business and I am using my gun only in my vacations. Hopefully end of March . But I order two kits because I have very hard time when I am trying to find spare parts in Greece. I order one rear block end of August and still I am waiting for this. I would like to see the results of your new valve .Thank you for your reply.

I don't understand why you would buy much smaller versions of the plenum you already have? The old valve can be opened but you need a PEEK seal beyond 6.5mm.

Actually I tried to open the new valve and I made it 7 mm . When I install it and I tried the gun the speed was lower than this I get with the old valve house and valve seat (6.8). I noticed some scratches from the drill and I guess that need a little work with the Dremel because the air could not past smoothly. In my attempt to make it smooth I damage more the port of the valve house because I didn’t have the right tool.

Anyway while I was trying to find a new valve house in all retailers in Europe ( nowhere available for 2 months) suddenly came the news for the new Fx plenum kit.

If I understood well and I am not wrong I read that valve rod is from titanium. So I order the new kit for the new internal system ( no rubber ball and different rod spring). But because I know very well that I will try to open the valve seat of the new kit I want to have an other kit in stock in any case. That’s the reason and not the size of the new plenum.Regarding the Poland plenum I didn’t have any problem at all after 1500 rounds .Very happy with it. 

Tinkering is cool and I am all for it but at a certain point I have to wonder where the laws of diminishing returns kick in. 

The Impact seems to be a versatile and capable platform but I suspect that it is at its design optimum shooting 25 to 35 grain projectiles at around 900 fps for a 45 to 65 fpe range of power. Think that's pretty decent power for a pellet gun!

The design is robust in that is has demonstrated that it can work higher performance levels but I suspect that there is a MTBF (mean time between failures) cost involved and reliability is seriously reduced.

I plan on doing a TP and pellet probe mod to help the air flow better but that's about it.

Guess that I am trying to understand why people are trying to turn an Impact into a deer rifle when there are already big bore guns in the market that are designed for that purpose. Just seems that it is like supper charging the family car to compete on the formula-one racing circuit... you could but why?

Still, it is very interesting to read about. Thanks for posting!

Cheers!

Tinkering is cool and I am all for it but at a certain point I have to wonder where the laws of diminishing returns kick in. 

The Impact seems to be a versatile and capable platform but I suspect that it is at its design optimum shooting 25 to 35 grain projectiles at around 900 fps for a 45 to 65 fpe range of power. Think that's pretty decent power for a pellet gun!

The design is robust in that is has demonstrated that it can work higher performance levels but I suspect that there is a MTBF (mean time between failures) cost involved and reliability is seriously reduced.

I plan on doing a TP and pellet probe mod to help the air flow better but that's about it.

Guess that I am trying to understand why people are trying to turn an Impact into a deer rifle when there are already big bore guns in the market that are designed for that purpose. Just seems that it is like supper charging the family car to compete on the formula-one racing circuit... you could but why?

Still, it is very interesting to read about. Thanks for posting!

Cheers!

I operate the gun at 150 bar max and don't see where there would be any more stress other than more recoil on the charging rod. Why?... Why not? We buy our toys and play with them however it entertains us. Supercharging the family car makes it more fun to drive. Why limit yourself?

All men die but few ever really live.

I like the factory position one far better, i have the heavy designed/michal executed 70cc plenum pictured on the first page. Combined with a 6.5mm vs and hammerweight i got from Edosan.

131fpe in .30

100 in .25 

72 in .22

If/when the fx power plenum surpasses this i might consider upgrading until then VERY happy with the looks and power potential of this upgrade.

Currently running at 108bar on the reg and able to make good power with that and great shot count. Whats the numbers from the SPAW upgraded setup?

Reactions: heavy-impact
I operate the gun at 150 bar max and don't see where there would be any more stress other than more recoil on the charging rod. Why?... Why not? We buy our toys and play with them however it entertains us. Supercharging the family car makes it more fun to drive. Why limit yourself?

All men die but few ever really live.

Yup, absolutely! Whatever works for you! When I was younger I was into hot-rodding outboard motors, now I buy what power I need so I never have to run at more than 75% throttle.

Guess I am cautious about the Impact because when I was researching them there were many comments about parts failing and needing to be an airgunsmith to own one - yet some people were claiming that they were reliable and robust. Come to the conclusion that they are high-strung enough that hot-rodding them was asking for trouble. 

Like I said, this is all very interesting stuff but rifle and accessories is pushing the price north of $3K so I think I will just watch from the sidelines as the factory stock gun has all the power I need for my applications.

Cheers heavy-impact! And thanks for your comments!

Here are some photos from my shoot - video coming soon. Over 100 FPE in .30 cal at 150 bar reg pressure - I will take it! I see Impact owners going up over 150 bar regulated to get even higher numbers, but I don't want to blow this reg. The SPAW Power Kit gives me the uuuumph I will need when the .35 cal kits hit the streets....

1579881723_3072383815e2b14fb80ed93.85033381_1.jpg

1579881730_51193235e2b15024f0fa7.62630496_2.jpg

1579881736_9178967205e2b15082dbac2.88768746_3.jpg

1579881742_124946255e2b150ea08634.30260083_4.jpg

1579881748_4322386705e2b1514ca6448.19391263_5.jpg