FX Factory Power Plenum or a Dangling Plenum from SPAW? Do Your Balls Hang Low?

UpNorthAirgunner SPAW Power Plenum Update! So you have an FX Impact and saw the new FX Power Plenum released.... You have a MKI or earlier MKII FX Impact and thinking about sending it to get the Power Plenum upgrade? The new kit from FX is super clean looking with out that dangling cylinder, but hear me out real quick.... I would 100% consider the Southern Precision Air Weapons LLC. (SPAW) kit from Ken Hicks as an option if you want the most power and adjustability for efficiency.

1579289994_12085823885e220d8ae85d53.14176753_power plenum.jpg

The new FX factory kits look fricken amazing and will take your rifle to the next level, but Ken's new M14 SPAW Power Kit eeeks out just that bit more power on the upper end and across the full spectrum of adjustability. Ernest Rowe designed this kit and can attest to the amazing performance it offers.

1579290021_8550721405e220da5e7e540.35421705_m14.jpg

1579290032_14700823695e220db04d2041.88811858_plenum2.jpg

I have my rifle set up right now in .30 cal configuration and just waiting for the .35 cal kits to be released. I wanted every ounce of juice I could get out of this FX Impact MKI platform so I went with the SPAW Power Kit.

1579290047_2000841495e220dbf2e0cb1.66969562_bag rider.jpg

So if you want the biggest power possible - go with the dangling plenum from SPAW and add a Saber Tactical Inc bag rider under it. It will protect the plenum and add overall platform rigidity. The hangy-downy dangling plenum might not be as streamlined as the factory plenum, but it is just a good visual indicator your FX Impact has the biggest balls possible! Just think of it as your Low Hanging Power Scrotum! HA! #DanglingPowerScrotum #MyFXHasBigBalls #FXImpactDeerHunting2020 #MyFXImpactBallsHangLow

Ya - I've seen some of those low cost kits and they are just using the same diameter as the threaded pressure gauge port. Ken actually adjusts the block to take the larger M14 size of his plenum. Agreed that the factory one does look cleaner and it is pretty fricken sweet, but.... When I go up to the .35 cal kit when it comes out - I want every little bit of power I can get for Deer hunting. Even at the projected FPE the .35 Impact is going to be able to deliver, it is going to be marginal for Deer hunting and with only the very best placed shot into the vitals. We will have to see though once they get released. 

Is this just a bigger plenum, or does it have the internal upgrades also?

Ya - SPAW puts much more into this kit than just a can hanging off your guage port. There is a fair mount of porting and mill work that is done to the valve and housing, heavier hammer weight, delrin C3 and larger external regulator plenum. Plus he puts a warranty on his work if anything ever happens to your gun due to the addition of his kit. He tunes each and every gun before it goes out and he includes a performance report when you get it back. I can't say enough about his attention to detail. 

Me personally I prefer the fx plenum as it is build into the rifle and not attached where the reg gauge goes. There are many so called external plenum folks are selling for $40 to 50. But I rather folk up the $300 just to get the fx plenum as it build into the gun and looks cleaner imo.

Those $50 kits are just cans to attach to your gauge port. You're getting a lot more with the SPAW kit. Read more: https://spaweapons.com/products/spaw-power-kit-for-fx-impact-mk2-impact-x?fbclid=IwAR3NGzPNvZVWd6LAII5R-Z6uwUYZBfFLY24IvwyXO-xK1Ajf4CUziPO1V0U

The version of my plenum design that FX produced looks really nice for fit and finish but the version being produced by Michal Osyda in Poland is larger than the FX or SPAW options, doesn't require any modifications and gives the greatest tunability and performance in .30 cal. Smaller calibers don't require as much plenum volume. Proper porting is necessary to get the most out of the gun with or without a larger plenum. Mr Osyda has increased his price recently but it's still the best upgrade on the market.

Pics of the larger volume Polish version...

1568130324_8166032025d77c514961c81.54014104_plenum 2.jpg

Installed on Glem.Chally's gun.

1568338754_8926884845d7af34280edd4.98520367_20190912_183216.jpg

If you want the Polish plenum avoid scammers trying to sell you one for $400 + 250 installation. Buy directly from Michal in Poland for $150 shipped and install it yourself. If you need free help installing it just PM me here.

AT Michał Osyda

98-300 Gaszyn, ul.Źródlana 13a

Tel. 883999733

http://www.airguntuning.pl

Ya - but.... When I go up to the .35 cal kit when it comes out - I want every little bit of power I can get for Deer hunting. Even at the projected FPE the .35 Impact is going to be able to deliver, it is going to be marginal for Deer hunting and with only the very best placed shot into the vitals. We will have to see though once they get released.

The one drawback to the Impact is the loading area. It is short way too short for a decent .35 caliber slug, and the word from FX is that has not changed in the .35 caliber upgrade kit. I've been looking into the upgrade to .35 caliber for over a year now, and even checked into using the expanding copper bullets in 9mm. There is very little room for a decent length slug (.0510") with the single loader trays, and nearly .100" less of using the Sideshot magazine. Therefore the total slug grain weight is limited to around 105 grains (using the NSA .35 105 grain HP-BT slug as a basis (if using a single/double loader tray too)), unless you are willing to slide a slug in at an angle, and that is also very limited to the total length of slug that can be jockeyed in there.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble Chris. I love your videos, and you are the one who got me I to this sport through them. But the Impact loading breech area is not close to the Texan, Slayer, Bushbuck, or the like, and that sucks. I had big plans for mine when I bought it, thinking that I could have a sweet little .357 big bore... Being a perpetual tinkerer now I'm thinking of a .308 caliber Impact or maybe the new 7mm barrel from TJ's, engineered by member Kinetic45.

The version of my plenum design that FX produced looks really nice for fit and finish but the version being produced by Michal Osyda in Poland is larger than the FX or SPAW options, doesn't require any modifications and gives the greatest tunability and performance in .30 cal. Smaller calibers don't require as much plenum volume. Proper porting is necessary to get the most out of the gun with or without a larger plenum. Mr Osyda has increased his price recently but it's still the best upgrade on the market.

Pics of the larger volume Polish version...

1568130324_8166032025d77c514961c81.54014104_plenum 2.jpg

Installed on Glem.Chally's gun.

1568338754_8926884845d7af34280edd4.98520367_20190912_183216.jpg

Looking good Glem! looking forward to some reviews.

Ya - but.... When I go up to the .35 cal kit when it comes out - I want every little bit of power I can get for Deer hunting. Even at the projected FPE the .35 Impact is going to be able to deliver, it is going to be marginal for Deer hunting and with only the very best placed shot into the vitals. We will have to see though once they get released.

The one drawback to the Impact is the loading area. It is short way too short for a decent .35 caliber slug, and the word from FX is that has not changed in the .35 caliber upgrade kit. I've been looking into the upgrade to .35 caliber for over a year now, and even checked into using the expanding copper bullets in 9mm. There is very little room for a decent length slug (.0510") with the single loader trays, and nearly .100" less of using the Sideshot magazine. Therefore the total slug grain weight is limited to around 105 grains (using the NSA .35 105 grain HP-BT slug as a basis (if using a single/double loader tray too)), unless you are willing to slide a slug in at an angle, and that is also very limited to the total length of slug that can be jockeyed in there.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble Chris. I love your videos, and you are the one who got me I to this sport through them. But the Impact loading breech area is not close to the Texan, Slayer, Bushbuck, or the like, and that sucks. I had big plans for mine when I bought it, thinking that I could have a sweet little .357 big bore... Being a perpetual tinkerer now I'm thinking of a .308 caliber Impact or maybe the new 7mm barrel from TJ's, engineered by member Kinetic45.

UpNorth = I was hoping the same thing lol. That I would be able to hunt whitetail with my mkII . My view on this has changed drastically haha. I still love it but have given up on using it for deer-hunting myself . I just do not want to be on the legal limit here in The state of NC. I would feel better to be middle of the road power or overkill lol. I hunt archery and always use very stout bows. Just my personal preference is all. I want a complete pass through if at all possible. For this reason I would never nor have I ever hunted with a 45 lbs. re curve I always go 65lbs. and up on the re curves . and extreme on my compounds. Again this is just my personal choice and to each there own no offense intended or taken at all if anyone disagrees . I just think there are better choices for airgun hunting than the current impact platform with a .357 cal. (( I could be wrong and am not perfect or very knowledgeable at all haha 😂😉 ))

Airgun H = I agree 100 about how there just is'nt enough space to get what I consider a decent whitetail slug in there at all. 😉

I would also like to ask you guys The Pro's ((not me the Newb lol )) Doesn't all the heavy modification of the block being milled and modified void that awesome 3 year warranty that fx provides ? I agree that Ken is awesome and that his mods are more powerful and I understand he stands behind his work and guarantees it (( Ken Hicks is the bomb 👍 lol )) But for me The stock kit installed by ken hicks would be the best of both worlds haha. The extra 35 - 45 foot pounds ( sub par for deer in my book lol ), losing my 3 year warranty ( which some people do not care about I know lol, (to each there own no problem )) just isn't worth it for me. My own personal choice would be to install the Power Plenum via ken hicks the professional 💪 have him do one of his awesome tunes and keep my warranty for the next 3 years. That way I get the best of both worlds in my book haha. This is just a different view not a challenge or anything offensive just another opinion from a ninny haha. Plus I get to buy a new airgun with more power to deer hunt with so I personally can sleep well at night knowing I did not go with a barely legal in my state rig to harvest deer this season. Sorry guys I do not type well. I wish all you guys the very best .😁

Reactions: sonny
The external plenum is far better option as it can be removed any time during shooting. 

It's a matter of couple of minutes to remove the external plenum and get full benefit of lighter pellets.

Lighter pellets normally do not like low reg and high quantity plenum to achieve the accuracy with same fps.

So to me external plenum is all the way.

If someone never needs to shoot lighter pellets and always has to shoot slugs at high power then inbuilt fx power plenum is OK.

Regards, 

Umair Bhaur 

The external plenum is far better option as it can be removed any time during shooting. 

It's a matter of couple of minutes to remove the external plenum and get full benefit of lighter pellets.

Lighter pellets normally do not like low reg and high quantity plenum to achieve the accuracy with same fps.

If someone never needs to shoot lighter pellets and always has to shoot slugs at high power then inbuilt fx power plenum is OK.

Regards, 

Umair Bhaur

You can keep higher reg pressure and lower velocity with the valve stop and hammer spring.

Regards, 

Umair Bhaur

You can keep higher reg pressure and lower velocity with the valve stop and hammer spring.

I have tried all this but for lighter pellets I get best results with smaller plenum. 

Umair Bhaur 

Does anybody has the idea to install both of them ? I mean the new Fx kit plus an external plenum (Ernest type) . I think technically is possible without any restrictions. It supposed of course that will be done all the rest modifications ( hammer weight - porting etc)We will have 54 cc (Fx plenum)+around 45( external plenum) = 99 cc. ( it depends on the size of the external plenum).So if we have a quantity of regulated air around 100-120 cc would we gain anything? And I am talking for the owners of .30 caliber who are looking for more power in order to shoot heavier slugs. Is just an idea and I post my thought here to take some opinions from the impact experts . 

Does anybody has the idea to install both of them ? I mean the new Fx kit plus an external plenum (Ernest type) . I think technically is possible without any restrictions. It supposed of course that will be done all the rest modifications ( hammer weight - porting etc)We will have 54 cc (Fx plenum)+around 45( external plenum) = 99 cc. ( it depends on the size of the external plenum).So if we have a quantity of regulated air around 100-120 cc would we gain anything? And I am talking for the owners of .30 caliber who are looking for more power in order to shoot heavier slugs. Is just an idea and I post my thought here to take some opinions from the impact experts .

I'm using the larger version from Poland plus a 20cc yong heng external to reach 132 fpe at 150 bar. There is no gain adding more plenum, at least not through a 6.35mm valve. I made a 7.1mm valve and PEEK seal but haven't installed them yet.

Heavy impact I am using as well the plenum from Poland . I am using still the old type of valve seat at 6.8 mm and with 65 gr nsa I am getting 950 f/s . But I have the regulator at 180 bar.( with extra high power huma regulator). My expectations is to reach this speed with less bars on regulator . I bought the new valve house with 6.35 valve seat and I order 2 new Fx plenum kits so I can try to open the valve around 7mm . Still I didn’t try anything of these because I am resident in an other country for business and I am using my gun only in my vacations. Hopefully end of March . But I order two kits because I have very hard time when I am trying to find spare parts in Greece. I order one rear block end of August and still I am waiting for this. I would like to see the results of your new valve .Thank you for your reply.