FX - DRS press release (Pro, Classic, Sub12)

What is this
That is the plenum.
Actually not a stupid idea, but of course 4 CC do not get you much in FAC i think, my .177 Vulcan 3 have a 90 CC plenum, of course also way more than it need.

But it do put some restrictions, and i do not think this design would work at all for larger then .22 fifles in FAC

IMHO it is okay to make rifles that do not come in the big calibers, CUZ i can not enjoy that anyway and really i do have good fun shooting .177, though .22 would be nice and the ammo still cost where i can play ball, though then my +1000 shot sessions at the range might get to be rare of be replaced by a much lesser shot count.

But i can easy sit down and shoot for 8 hours strait.

I will any day take a damn strait shooting airgun ( PCP ) copy of say a M1 Garand or maybe a lee Enfield or a nice old Mauser.
But i must insist on it shooting damn well, and i would not care if it was single shot to not have a magazine ruin the look.

I have been thinking.

Cant you calculate how much plenum a given caliber air rifle would need, knowing caliber and barrel length ??
I would assume you just need the volume of the barrel, maybe minus a little as you dont need a huge gust of air right behind a pellet / slug.

So my simple mind say you got to be able to make a spreadsheet / program that could calculate that for any given caliber and barrel length.

Needless to say you will of course want to dimension that plenum after the longest barrel option and then cut a little off with the hammer setting on shorter barrel versions..

But like my Vulcan 3 in .177 why have a plenum that is more or less diminution for a much larger caliber, not least if you was to design a rifle with limited internal volume you could put / hide stuff in.

I'd imagine you want it sized such that after you release the amount of air used in the shot, the pressure has only decreased to some optimal level. You still need something left in the plenum to push the full amount of air down the barrel.

For example, if you need 10cc of air per shot, you'd want enough in the plenum that after that air is released you're still somewhat close to your regulated pressure. It all has to do with the pressure impulse... but that's beyond my expertise.

I was not able to restrain myself ( once again )
So did a little copy / paste.
And i dont know about you guys, but i like me some of that too.
Of course even if i am a Peashooter ( .177 ) something have to be done too about that 4 cc plenum.

View attachment 427395
I think your onto something!
If so, this would be the 200 FPE slug shooter.

Bib boy.jpg

I think your onto something!
If so, this would be the 200 FPE slug shooter.

View attachment 427641
Then it starts to look like a box fed center fire rifle... and would be surpassing .22 rimfire FPE, and approaching .22 magnum rifle energy levels… looks sleeker in original configuration. Why buy an air rifle to turn it into a .22 rimfire in terms of energy? Seems counterintuitive…

Then it starts to look like a box fed center fire rifle... and would be surpassing .22 rimfire FPE, and approaching .22 magnum rifle energy levels… looks sleeker in original configuration. Why buy an air rifle to turn it into a .22 rimfire in terms of energy? Seems counterintuitive…
Airgun ammo is cheaper, and more fun!
And if its power is adjustable, it will be quieter too.

If i could have this in .177 and get about 15-16 fpe out of it, and thread them through a lifesaver without breaking it, what else do you really need?

15-16 fpe in a .177 with a good 10.5-ish grain dome pellet is air rifle perfection. Accurate and powerful, that will zip through a squirrel from stem to stern and zip through the skull of most vermin of any size. Takes care of anything that needs killing around your home discreetly and with cheep cheep ammo.

I like it, but it’s not significantly different from the Dreamline Classic.

It looks more like a sub12 Dynamic/Panthera with air reservoir around the barrel, very similar to the Altaros M24. I really like the Altaros M24 and Dynamic. This gun should be pretty nice in FAC or US configuration.

I actually want to see a chassis for this and obviously they will eventually make one for it, should be really good for FT use. Absolutely love the short impulse valve on the dynamic/panthera.

Last edited:
Spec still read as a UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE on many parts of this rig.
Tinker toy fiddling paying even more $$$ to get what the manufacturer should sell as a top shelf finished product from the onset.

JMO ...

For hunting purposes standard FX triggers are how I like them which is around 1lb. For target shooting or super light match grade trigger is available as an upgrade is pretty awesome option actually. The super light 4-6 oz match triggers will make me hate life when hunting especially with gloves on, I don't even like 4oz trigger for bench shooting.

The optional pic rail is an interesting option, panthera already has pic rail on the receiver so not sure why it's not just part of the receiver. Although the optional rail has some serious tilt to it maybe in part because of the 12FPE trajectory, the FAC version may not need the tilted rail, I just wish the receiver has pic rail instead of dovetail under the optional rail. With the mini mag the scope can be mounted really close to the bore/barrel and with 12 FPE trajectory we need good amount of tilt to zero with scopes with limited vertical adjustment, I found this out the hard way.😅

It obviously also has the slug liner as an "upgrade" which I think is also one of FX's best features as I can decide what ammo I want to shoot in the gun as supposed to the OG finding the ammo for the gun. Granted I wish they would let me choose which liner when purchasing the gun as supposed to buying the slug liner as an upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: tibor
As far as I can tell only upgrade option is the trigger and for hunting purposes FX triggers are how I like them which is around 1lb. For target shooting or super light match grade trigger is available as an upgrade is pretty awesome option actually. The super light 4-6 oz match triggers will make me hate life when hunting especially with gloves on, I don't even like 4oz trigger for bench shooting.

It obviously also has the slug liner as an "upgrade" which I think is also one of FX's best features as I can decide what ammo I want to shoot in the gun as supposed to the OG finding the ammo for the gun. Granted I wish they would let me choose which liner when purchasing the gun as supposed to buying the slug liner as an upgrade.
Huh ? ... I read 6 upgrades possible.
Barrel length
Air Tube
Trigger
Valve/s
Pic rail
Stocks
These are assumed to be UPGRADES or modification EXTRAS.

Just reading whats there, not defending or flaming products initial release info.

Reactions: mubhaur and qball
Huh ? ... I read 6 upgrades possible.
Barrel length
Air Tube
Trigger
Valve/s
Pic rail
Stocks
These are assumed to be UPGRADES or modification EXTRAS.

Just reading whats there, not defending or flaming products initial release info.

Oh, I see. I personally look at them as options instead of upgrade. Really like the ability to choose some of the options like trigger, airtube and valve. Barrel length and stocks are pretty standard options(for fx) or all the guns that has any options at all which all the pricer guns tend to do like fancy laminate, chassis, walnut and limited edition etc. Really wish some of the other guns on the market would at least offer barrel type and length as options. I like to change my guns a lot like barbie dolls. LOL

The valve impulse option REALLY got my interest though, usually FX makes things adjustable but this time they are offering options. I'm very curious on what options we will have, I am assuming different sized valve with different impulse/travel which would be very interesting. This could be one insanely awesome option for tuning especially with different length barrels. Impact is the only FX gun has the ability to adjust dwell/valve travel, I'm guessing the new valve has different dwell/travel size so no need to have complicated impact adjustable valve configuration. Coupled with possible valve size this could be huge!

As a tinkerer I am salivating over the different options/upgrades already! BUT you are right that a lot of those options will be after purchase which would qualify it as upgrades and cost extra money. But who doesn't like upgrades? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I am thinking with the price of other FX stuff, here i think like the shroud & barrel pipe on my Maverick barrel when i upgraded from 600 to 700 mm barrel, but probably also other things.

It would not be cheap to upgrade this to a 600 - 700 mm barrel & barrel tube, maybe a dual transfer port / shroud/tank and a bigger plenum to power it all.
I have no qualms in thinking this will add 1/4 or maybe 1/3 to the base price, and then this in FAC version is probably priced in the FX king territory.

And i would have to admit that King price, that's not where i would like to go at the moment.
The price i paid for my Maverick back then on day #1 ( well in Denmark at least ) that was more than enough.

If it can be adjusted to shoot those 15.89’s around 880fps for 3 mags, I’ll order one.
No offense meant, but...
How far do you think you ‘ll get with those 15.89 grains on a 200 cc breathing volume and a mere 4cc plenum...
Also...given any thought about the harmonics-shift at around 40 joules when the gun is out in winter temp.? Bit sceptical here. I m suspecting there's a reason this DRS is sent into the world with a label on it of 'sub12 hunting gun'.

Guess sub12 Britain is now going wild : “Axelsson at last thinking of us ! . . .At last …! … All hail and glory be to you, FX, finally a sub12 made just for us islanders." :sneaky:
Come and see next episode on YT… how Giles from AirgunGearShow manages his FX marketing like a drooling foodie fully recommending this sub12 DRS to his fellow countrymen. :D

All kidding aside… it's a nice classic looker. Really is.
But I do have a consideration or two.

First of it being that I strongly suspect this low power limited pcp will be as much of a 'thrill' to most of the US shooters, as it is to me: hardly.
The Brits however... Even now already great enthusiasm on British fora.
Just guessing that Axelsson Sr. might well have thought : 'If Daystate with their BRK Ghost so much likes to try and come fishing in my Impact-lake, then I see no reason whatsoever for me not to go fishing in their sub12 UK-pond.

A second reservation might just be that i remain curious about how accurate that DRS will behave once hunters take it outside, into the cold of winter... I m suspecting temperature shift of the air around the barrel will influence the way the barrel vibrates, both in cold and warm weather circumstances. From that point on it remains to be seen to what degree POI is affected.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon