• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning FX Dreamtact Compact, Another Power Adjuster??

Front Power Adjuster.1638821544.jpg
 I shoot an FX Dreamtact Compact and have been working on turning for quite awhile....it's been great. The gun shoots really well, I have an Impact also and it's collecting dust right now. The Dreamtact has a power adjuster wheel marked High, Medium and Low, for the caliber I'm shooting the "Medium" setting puts me in the speed range I'm after. What I noticed is that when I turn that wheel there are no "clicks" and do I line the witness mark up with the "d" in medium??? I know, I'm being anal about this. But my thought was, "what happens if I set it half way between the high and low setting"? So here are my results for any who are interested.

High = 913 FPS Med = 912 FPS Low = 724 FPS I then moved the wheel halfway between each setting and this is what I got.

High/Low = 872 FPS Med/Low = 914 Med/High = 754 FPS It was interesting to note that on the Med/Low setting that all five shots were 914 FPS !

I will have to shoot some paper to see if any of this is worth pursuing. Any input from you Pros would be much appreciated.

There should be a spring-loaded ball bearing under your transfer port wheel, which will go into an indent when the knob is in the correct position. Sometimes hard to feel it going into place.

When you turn the wheel between settings, you are partially blocking the transfer port hole in the wheel. I don't believe that this is recommended, and I don't believe that one can accurately/repeatably re-set the wheel to a midway position to count on it for tuning. Also, because the ball bearing is not in its seat, the wheel will be apt to move more on its own, when handling the gun, etc.

If you feel that you are getting best performance with the wheel between marked settings, then perhaps some additional tuning work is needed on your gun. 

Thanks for the reply TMH, that makes a lot of sense. I assumed that I would be partially blocking the transfer port holes with a mid-point setting and like you said, repeatability would be hard without some kind of markings. I need to see if I can feel the ball drop into the indent, it feels pretty smooth all the way around. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Glad I asked about this, I just checked my gun and the ball is there like you said. I found an allen head screw on the opposite side of the gun that goes into the back of that knob, it was loose enough that I couldn't feel the ball dropping into the hole. I tightened it up which pulled the knob down enough so I could feel the ball go into place on each setting. I'll have to see if this had any effect on my turning.

Glad I asked about this, I just checked my gun and the ball is there like you said. I found an allen head screw on the opposite side of the gun that goes into the back of that knob, it was loose enough that I couldn't feel the ball dropping into the hole. I tightened it up which pulled the knob down enough so I could feel the ball go into place on each setting. I'll have to see if this had any effect on my turning.

ah yes, check that’s screw once a while as it also comes loose on mine but I turn that dial all the stinking time. That screw is how you take the TP out completely, very easy to work on it if needed.