• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX dreamline poi shift?

guys, have you noticed poi shifts?

thinking about buying this gun but saw some people say they are changing pois after moving around or touching the barrel.

I haven’t noticed any POI shifts on my DreamLite, and I’ve had it broken down in a rifle backpack on 10 mile mountain bike rides. I’m sure if the barrel gets a good wack on something you will have issues. I’m waiting for someone to develop a barrel clamp that will clamp barrel to the air cylinder, I’m sure someone is already working on it because it is definitely the weakest part of the rifle, thankfully mine has been working well.

I'm going to jump in here.. don't have the dreamline but it's a problem with alot of airguns. Had a marauder with a barrel band but was free to float within it , however anytime I removed the shroud to clean the barrel afterwards poi would be different and not because i needed to reseason with pellets but due to how tight I screwed the shroud back down...so for that gun to correct I would tighten down the end cap then back it off quarter turn that was the only way i could get consistency . You see the shroud tightened against the breech block and would tension the barrel , different tension different poi.

AirArms rifle I had had a barrel band that did contact the barrel with a oring between it and the band but I believe when fully charged with air the airtube would flex deflecting the barrel slightly causing poi changes as pressure reduced from shooting.

Cricket bullpup I owned did the same thing as it's barrel and air tube are clamped together but shroud did not tighten against the breech block.

Cricket Mini Carbine i own now has floating barrel and not clamped to the air tube however the shroud tightned against the breach block causing more problems with tighten tension , but they were smart enough to install a thin plastic washer between shroud and breach block... Remove this washer and all problems resolved. No tension on the barrel and no clamps on the air tube.

Gen 3 or so Vulcans redesigned their shroud so as to not tighten against the breach leaving a small gap , it too had a problem but I didn't have a problem with the barrel clamped to the air tube that caused problems on some of the other guns.

So my opinion is that guns that have their shroud tightened by end caps against the breach block will be very sensitive to how tight the end cap is. Causing tension to the barrel thus poi changes.

And free floating barrels with out barrel bands and shrouds that don't tighten against the block causing tension on the barrel will be the most consistent and accurate in my opinion. 

As for the dreamline... Free floating barrel , no clamps to the air tube , no barrel band , but don't know if the shroud is pushed tight against the block to cause barrel tension or not. What most seem to complain about is the barrel flexing due to lack of stiffness , however as long as it returns to same position every time I wouldn't be concerned.

Don

And free floating barrels with out barrel bands and shrouds that don't tighten against the block causing tension on the barrel will be the most consistent and accurate in my opinion. 

As for the dreamline... Free floating barrel , no clamps to the air tube , no barrel band , but don't know if the shroud is pushed tight against the block to cause barrel tension or not. What most seem to complain about is the barrel flexing due to lack of stiffness , however as long as it returns to same position every time I wouldn't be concerned.

Don

+ 1 Don

0% POI shift on my FX Dreamline Bullpup..

1556063775_2672242155cbfa61f0ccf99.10216797_7E100942-3F1A-41E0-A255-F34785A3F9E6.jpeg

I just recently got my dreamline classic. Originally I was worried about the free floating barrel. If you place the gun down to fast on your shooting bag you can hear the barrel clink on the air cylinder. I noticed this after I had zeroed my scope in at 50 yards. After hearing the clink I was worried that it may have knocked my gun off zero, but to my relief the next 3 pellets i shot went into the same hole that was already present. I probably wouldnt recommend lifting or carrying the gun by the barrel, but small bumps should have no effect. 

Same with my crown. Dont whack it hard or hold it/ pick it up by the barrel and zero holds perfect. Incidental light bumps do not effect it. My gun rides in the backseat of my truck in its case everywhere i go . Bumpy farm roads too. No issues and im talking shooting a long way out there. If it lost zero i would notice right away.

removing the shroud and reinstalling causes up to a half moa shift in zero for me. So i just use a straw when i clean and leave the shroud on. Issue solved.