• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

FX Dreamline Compact Tactical .22

UPDATE! My 300cc is now holding air when I remove it. I just topped it off to 250 bar and removed it from my DTC. I taped a rubber glove over the valve opening to test for leakage, but so far, so good.

What I did was use a Q-Tip to clean the inside of area where the valve is located and then applied a couple drops of RWS Silicone oil around the base of the valve stem I then attached it to the DTC and filled it to 1000 psi and quickly removed it. As it was leaking air, I pressed against the valve poppet a couple times with a 6mm T Handle hex wrench. This opened it enough to allow the air to be released very quickly. Be sure it's not pointing toward your face when doing this. I then repeated this 2 more times and each time the leak slowed even more. After the 3rd time there was too much pressure left in the tank for me to open the valve, so I taped the rubber glove to the end and let it sit for an hour.

Since it didn't seem to be leaking any more, I put it back on the the DTC and filled it to 250 bar, removed it and now have it sitting overnight to test for leakage. I suspect there was some debris in the valve that was stopping it from closing all the way. Opening the valve under the lower pressure blew whatever crap was in there out and cleaned the valve seat area. The last time I filled to 1000 psi, it released very little air as I removed it, and there was enough pressure remaining in the tank that I could not open the valve by just pressing against the valve with he hex wrench. After filling it to 250 bar, I removed it quickly and it only had a quick puff of air before the valve closed, so I am hopeful it's now fixed.

Well, I have the same problem, but your approach did not fix it.

Basically this means the FX fitting is not working at all....

What did Best Fittings say?

Yea, well update to the update... It didn't fix mine either! It held air over night, but when I put it back on the DTC last night and tried to remove it again, all the air leaked back out! I was able to remove the valve and cleaned it up, but I noticed a lot of what appears to be chipped metal around the opening where the poppet stems goes through, and this is the surface the poppet needs to seal against.

1593283776_483076855ef794c0c008d3.35260718.JPG

This isn't the greatest picture because it's taken with my phone and it's almost impossible to get it to focus on the bottom of the inside of the valve. In any event, Richard from Best Fittings did respond and we have been swapping e-mails and pictures. He is looking into the cause and a solution, but said he would be sending me a new valve next week. Hopefully, they will get it resolved and won't have these problems in the future. I have to wonder if they may have just received a bad batch of valves.

Did some more troubleshooting yesterday..... 

Anybody has pictures of the inside of a good working valve?

It is certainly the valve and more specific the insight sealing that is not ok.

Took the valve out of the bottle, then took the different parts out of the valve housing: a seal with a pin on top (think this is teflon?) - a spring - a hollow screw to keep it all together.

I believe it is that first teflon? part that does not seal properly.....

BE CAREFUL: if the seal is really bad and you unscrew a 250 bar bottle, this might give a very loud bang and the bottle could fly away. I had the bang (at 100bar) and because I had a firm grip on the bottle it did not fly away, so luckily no damage. So if you unscrew the bottle and it starts hissing loud: stop and let all air out to loose the pressure before unscrewing further.

I am also in contact with Best Fittings to work out a solution....

They are sending me a new valve this week. They told me the poppet material is HDPE, I'm not exactly sure what that is, but they said they chose that material because it provided a better seal. You shouldn't get a bang or launch the tank unless the valve is failing after you have already loosened it to the point the threads will no longer hold. When I remove mine all the air rushes out before I can ever get it more than halfway off the rifle. This is what the valve looks like, courtesy of Best Fittings.

1593528861_11323662815efb521dc367d7.97431090.jpg

Be careful with the Bestfittings valve for the FX nipple, the ones I’ve seen have a valve stem which is too long and causes it to bend a bit when fully screwed on. Next to the bending of the stem the valve is still opened while unscrewing past the oring seal and while screwing it on the valve already opens before the oring can seal... The last time I’ve seen this issue is about a month ago, don’t know if they solved it now? Already mentioned it to them about 9 months ago..

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same problem, but @broekzwans has tried to warn us about the BF valve problem that he had. He posted the above message on May 19...it's on page 6 of this same thread.

When I get the replacement valve I'll take some measurements of the valve stem and compare them to the one that's giving me problems. I've been corresponding with Richard, who is the Managing Director/Senior Technical Consultant and he seems genuinely concerned about the problem and finding a fix. When I had my valve apart, there were no visible signs of it bending, but if it is in fact too long, that sure sounds like the cause of the problem! I should probably empty my 580cc tank and look at the valve stem in it, it has the FX Valve in it. I wonder if the end of the valve stem could just be ground down some to fix the problem?

I've not heard from BF since Monday. I was told a new valve would be shipped out this week, but they may be waiting until the problem is resolved if all their current valves have the same issue. I'm not in any rush, if I don't remove the tank then I don't have an issue. If I don't hear back from anyone by next Monday, I'll be following up with them as well.

It does seem a too long valve stem could be the culprit, that would delay the shutting of the valve as the tank is being unscrewed. But, mine would also continue to leak air even after it was completely removed, so it could be a combination of a couple issues.

HDPE is High Density Polyethylene and is a plastic that is commonly used for milk bottles, jugs, detergents, etc. It seems kind of strange that that material would be used in a valve fitting and could be the reason your bottle continues to leak when removed, @FLgunner. It may not provide a complete seal as other more appropriate materials would. We will have to wait and see what BF has to say about a fix and/or replacement. Vetmx is right, this is a high pressure fitting and the problem needs to be addressed by them, not a DIY fix.

I contacted BF and told them it would bleed off the air as I was removing it. They sent me a replacement for free.

I had BF send me the tool with the replacement valve, it does make it easier, but the first time I removed it I just used a hex wrench in the hole on the collar of the valve to leverage it open. It wasn’t that tight. 

LOL! That's what I get for trusting PA for specs on an FX! Where did you find those specs? Here's what PA has on their website:

FX Dream-Tact Compact

• Dream-Tact Compact with FX Stackable moderator
  • UTG PRO AR15 Ops Ready S1 Mil-spec Stock (Mounting parts included)
  • Overall length: 36.5" w/ buttstock collapsed and moderator attached
  • Smooth sidelever cocking action
  • Smooth Twist X barrel
  • 230 BAR / 3,335 PSI Fill Pressure
  • Barrel length: 320mm in .177, .22 (12.59"), 380mm in .25 (14.96")
  • Weight: 5.6lbs
  • AMP (Adjustable Match Precision) regulator
  • Dual Manometers: one for air tube pressure, one for regulator pressure
  • Externally adjustable hammer spring tension
  • 2-stage adjustable match trigger
  • Hogue AR-style pistol grip
  • Picatinny rail for mounting optics
  • Forend Picatinny rail for bipod/accessories
  • 3-step transfer port adjustment
  • Quick Disconnect Fill Fitting
  • Magazine Capacity: 21 rds. in .177, 18 rds. in .22, 16 rds. in .25
  • Includes magazine and 3-year transferable warranty
you are actually right I have the dream tact compact in .22 and Utah airguns states in the spec sheet .22 is 320mm barrel..