• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Dreamline Classic barrel stability

Just purchased a FX Dreamline Classic 22. love the accuracy and I understand the floating barrel comcept. when you pick up the gun if you grab it by the barrel and air cylinder the barrel just bends up against the air cylinder with no effort at all , I mean you can move the barrel around like a noodle quarter of an inch in any direction with no effort at all which makes you extremely careful handling the gun, have the gun sighted in at 30 yards stacking pellets the the next time after putting up my POI has changed by a half and inch. Is this normal is my barrel loose the outer barrel doesnt turn at all. I almost bought a Crown but the barrel is the same way on it. The barrel always moves back to where it was but it would not take much for the POI to be off. Would not want to think about shooting at 50 or 100 yards how much the POI would be off from just handling it and sighting it in. Is this normal or do I have defective gun, My other gun is a Air Force Condor SS started out as a .22 but then changed it to a .25, it is not near as accurate as the FX but at least you can handle it without the barrel moving around. Help I'm really dissappointed on how much I spent on this gun my friends who shoot powder burners think I"m crazy spending money on this hobby my agrument is I can shoot anytime in my back yard and pellets are so cheap which means I can shoot so much more. Plus the money I got invested in air compressor and SCBA tank. 

Reactions: mmahoney
I have a Dreamline classic.Sry I can't respond with anything useful.I have the same concern tho I have'nt been able to shoot it yet,My back yard might as well be a swamp and it's been to cold to enjoy it. I went to the FX site.They do have barrel support bands but it's not clear at all if it will fit the Dreamline.In FACT, they don't even list the Dreamline. I also would like to put a tube clamp on mine so I can mount a bi-pod or sling without altering the stock,again FX has them but whether or not it will fit,idk,,says it fits 33mm dia tubes,the Dreamline is more like 34mm. There is another posting that is the topic of unsupported barrels,might give it a look.

Well I really appreciate all the responses, I returned a Kral Pitbull for this gun, I'm not really sure how the dealer will react if I want to return this gun also and upgrade to a Wildcat MKII. I guess In all fairness I am using a Discovery scope with Hawke rings. Going to take out again this morning and see how it shoots, I would be happy with a barrel support if one could be found It is just unnerving to be able to move the barrel so much with so little effort

HI I Have a commit on this , I own a few FX now and they shoot very well , but they need to be treated very fragile , I learned this long ago ,I dropped my impact on the ground one time hunting and the regulated air pressure in tube oring blew out ,

The design of them are very complex and not made to be banged around ,I also own wild cat and it is great gun to shoot and carry ,but again , they are not super rugged ,

If you want a gun you can bang around and not not worry about breaking it or losing poi , The edgun line is very rugged ,I put all my edguns threw extreme testing and they just do not fail, and they super simple to strip down

Just purchased a FX Dreamline Classic 22. love the accuracy and I understand the floating barrel comcept. when you pick up the gun if you grab it by the barrel and air cylinder the barrel just bends up against the air cylinder with no effort at all ,

My Streamline will do that if I grab it the way you described, but I've never grabbed any of my air rifles by the barrel.

The Crown and Wildcat MKII will do the same thing.

I have the Crown and I avoid leaning the gun against a rest or tree on the barrel. I pick it up by the scope, stock or air bottle. I treat my hunting rifles the same way. I am not trying to be a smart butt the barrel is not made to be a handle or a carrying devise on the gun. I have no doubt if you use your barrel as a handle it will not hold POI. I had a Marauder and if I leaned it against the wall on the barrel it would change POI.

HI I Have a commit on this , I own a few FX now and they shoot very well , but they need to be treated very fragile , I learned this long ago ,I dropped my impact on the ground one time hunting and the regulated air pressure in tube oring blew out ,

The design of them are very complex and not made to be banged around ,I also own wild cat and it is great gun to shoot and carry ,but again , they are not super rugged ,

If you want a gun you can bang around and not not worry about breaking it or losing poi , The edgun line is very rugged ,I put all my edguns threw extreme testing and they just do not fail, and they super simple to strip down

This is why I don't hunt more with my air rifles. I treat all my air guns and firearms with care, but, in a woods hunting scenario, some minor dings are almost unavoidable. As much as I enjoy my PCP air rifles, I agree that they have to be treated with much more care than most (all) metallic cartridge rifles. If you examine all the pieces that are involved in controlling air flow and attaching the barrel and its various appendages, they are simply not designed for even moderately heavy use. Particularly problematic is the common use of shrouds, air strippers, and silencers, all of which is attached to the action with a couple of small grub screws. If you consider the leverage exerted on the barrel by even a small blow to the end of a 6" or 8" silencer, you really need to be careful. 

Well thanks for all the input. Shot it again this morning and I could not be more pleased with the accuracy of the gun I just need to be more mindful of handling the gun, it is not in the same league as my Air Force Condor SS as being able to carrying it. My CZ .17HMR has an 7/8 inch barrel on it. It is also floating but it isn't going to flex but I guess we are comparing apples to oranges, This PCP stuff is new to me and I really appreciate how quiet the classic is with the Donny moderator and also the Air Force Condor SS with the built in Moderator So I will be able to shoot a lot was hoping to get into some competition shooting with the FX. Thanks again for the help 

I am on the waitlist to get a Dreamline Lite. I'm concerned after hearing how the barrel is so sensitive to POI shifts from handling. I agree with others about the same issue with the Marauder and Armada (basically same gun; I had both with same POI sensitivity issue from floating barrel).

I also had a Condor SS, have a S510 FAC, and HW97KT that don't exhibit this issue. And I agree with others about the issue being a problem when you depend on it to shoot vermin. I store my guns in a gun case and need to pull it out at a moments notice when I spot something. For me, these guns need to be able to take minor bumps (not drops) and stay reliable and shoot the same. Otherwise, it makes it impractical if I need to zero every time I pull it out of the gun case. Of course, there are caveats; I understand that shoot distance plays a major role in how much a gun needs to tolerate bumps.

As you've discovered airguns aren't firearms and can't be treated the same.

Other reasons for poi change can be tube/bottle pressure. Another is temp change of both the gun and scope. Better made scopes experience less poa shift with temp changes. Also repeatable technique when shooting goes a long way with airguns.

All things to think about when chasing repeatability.

John

While this is an issue, I have found over the last 15 months shooting a Streamline, Wildcat and Crown, that with just a little care there is nothing to worry about. All my guns have seen steady farm use and hunting. In and out of vehicles, I have bumped the suppressor on all of them several times and have not had any issues.

John has a good point about tube or bottle pressure. You need to be sure that nothing is putting pressure on the barrel at the time of the shot. I had one shot that I remember very well that was about 3" off at 50 yards. Turned out as I had the rifle braced against the side of a fence post, I had inadvertently put some side pressure with my hand while trying to hold the rifle firmly against the post.

I am always mindful of how I treat my rifles, but I have never babied them and I've never had a problem.