FX Dreamline Classic .25 cal power

I am considering changing the 22 cal GRS stock gun I have on order to a laminated stock 25 cal gun that I could get immediately.

The only thing that I have reservations about is the power. I currently have a 45 J Gamo Magnum that is a bit too much (at least definately too loud) for the back yard. That got me thinking about the low power setting on the Dreamline.

So how much power should I expect from the Dreamline at low power setting. And how would it be if I add the power plenum?

The dreamline will shoot so much smoother throughout the power available that you may not notice the stronger fpe from shooting.

Maybe I or my neighbours won’t know the difference, but the receiving end of the pellet certainly will ;-)

Anything stronger than 40J will damage my targets. The Gamo squirrel is having trouble even with that.

I have a .22 dream pup. I'm shooting crosman spinners at 50 yrds on medium without destroying them. Good luck with your purchase, maybe have to buy some new targets.

Dreamline .22 muzzle energy at full power is 41J (30 ft/lbs), so that is at the upper limits on what these targets can handle. .25 would be 60J or even more if I added the power plenum, that would probably be over the edge. More joules make sense if you are hunting, but you cannot hunt with air rifles in this country ;-( That's why I am interested on the muzzle energy at low power.

BTW, there seems to be two views about how many power levers the Dreamline (I am talking about the Classic that does not have the hammer adjustment) has. The way I've understood is that there are only two. High and Low. But there are two different highs, one for .30/.25 cal and another for .22/.177 cal. What is correct ?

I don't have a dreamline yet but I have been looking at them. The FX dreamline is a regulated air rifle. You can vary the regulator setting and that is your biggest influence on power. You can also vary the hammer spring force and the wheel I think you are talking about is the transfer port size. It is highly tunable. I can't image you can't set it pretty low. But there is a good tuning guide on youtube, he tuned a 22 caliber so it should be directly applicable. I think his name is Steve Salley. Something like that. Good channel.

Sorry, I did not notice you said 25 caliber. Why a 25 if you are worried about damaging targets? Mine is tuned to 50 ft lbs. The lowest I have set it is about 35 ft. lbs. It's an avenger so not directly appliable. But the issue is the 25 pellets are 25.4 grains or higher, most of them, so to turn down power to have to turn velocity way down and the trajectory makes hitting things difficult. Low power I would go for a 22 or even a 177 to keep velocity and trajectory up.

Sorry, I did not notice you said 25 caliber. Why a 25 if you are worried about damaging targets? Mine is tuned to 50 ft lbs. The lowest I have set it is about 35 ft. lbs. It's an avenger so not directly appliable. But the issue is the 25 pellets are 25.4 grains or higher, most of them, so to turn down power to have to turn velocity way down and the trajectory makes hitting things difficult. Low power I would go for a 22 or even a 177 to keep velocity and trajectory up.

In my case the 25 caliber has one big advantage over the 22 caliber. I could actually get one !

The dealer I ordered the 22 caliber GRS stock from says, that FX lead times at the moment are incredibly long (apparently they are shipping most of their production to the US so us Europeans are left with bread crumbs). If FX was able to say that I am getting my 22 in say June, I would wait. But not knowing if it's gonna be even this year makes me impatient ;-)

My idea is to try low power with light pellets on my backyard to maintain velocity. At least H&N has 19.9 grain pellets, and JSB even has 16.65 grain pellets (lead free too, but expensive). If I go somewhere shooting longer distance I could then switch to max power and shoot more regular pellets. Of course I have no idea how well these particular pellets would actually work with the Dreamline...

EDIT: And with the 25 cal I always would have the option to get a 22 cal barrel kit if the above equation does not work (again, subject to long lead time though).

I didn't have the patience required to get the GRS version ;-)

I went to the store yesterday to get the 25 caliber laminate stock version. I

I am actually pleased with my choice. The gun feels just wonderful. I absolutely love the trigger, I didn't even realize that the trigger could be that good. Only now I understand how horrible the Gamo trigger was.

I still might try to get the barrel kit to downgauge the gun to 22, it just does not seem to be available anywhere in Europe...

Thanks, What is your regulator pressure ? Did you tune it ? What was it out of the box ?

I just ordered the FX Chrono, I realized that tuning without a chrono makes no sense :) So I cannot yet say how my powers are.

If asking me. Out of the box with reg as it came and hammer knob and port on .25..30 the highest I was getting 45 ft/lbs. I shot 25g and 34g jsb. I ended up with 34g jsb. I used the H&N feild target trophy 20g just to shoot groups and get used to the gun without going through so much air, that was factory reg setting. I don't remember what I set the hammer to but port knob was set to "low" for the 20g. It's been over a year so I don't remember fps. Since then I have added a plenum and port the transfer port. Maxed with 34g it's 59 ft/lbs. I haven't tried the 20g since the mods.